PDA

View Full Version : Halloween 3 (region 2 SE) mini-review

bigdaddyhorse
07-22-2003, 01:54 AM
As promised, here is a quick review of the region 2 Halloween 3 disc I just got today. I didn't get a chance to watch all of it, just the first 15 minutes or so, some with commentray, some with 5.1.

First off, it is incorrectly framed at 1.78 instead of 2.35. It doesn't look that horrible, but is annoying to say the least. The commentators were talking about Dean Cundey being the master of widescreen pana-glide, and obviously were watching a 2.35 print when doing the comm as they didn't mention the hack job here!
The comm. was starting to get interesting. They had nothing to do with the film, but seemed to have a lot of knowledge about it. I will check out the rest of it tomorrow probably (tonight is bar night!)
The 5.1 track sounded great, a definite improvement over the 2.0 track on the GT disc, and the 2.0 included on this disc. Too bad the rest of the disc is so shitty.
I'm not sure if it's my cheap CyberHome player, but the anamorphic picture here looked WORSE than the non-anamorphic GT dvd! The blacks were all pixalated and grainy. Not to mention again, the wrong OAR!
Worse yet, it's cut! The dude who gets his nose crushed in the hospital scene is cut to shit! Instead of focusing on his feet spasing out and nose getting crushed, it focus' on the mask he drops to the floor. I just realized it's listed as cut on dvdcompare.org. but misread which version was cut when I ordered it.
The only redeeming value this disc has is audio-wise. I'll come back and let you know if the commentray is worth it, it sounded decent but not great. The 5.1 was sounding nice during the opening, but still, a cut print in the wrong ratio?!? Looks like this is getting traded or sold soon.
As much as it pains me to say, seeing how I HATE Universal, their upcoming dvd will probably be the best version avaiable when considering the faults of other versions like this one.

Don't waste your money is my early feeling, unless you cherish sound more than picture!

r_burgos2003
07-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Couldn't Universal or Goodtimes get it right and release a good version THE FIRST TIME?! Re-release=:sleepy:

hell ya!
07-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Universal never released it before and Goodtimes released it fine before so i'm not sure what your talking about.:eek2:

r_burgos2003
07-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Halloween 2...oops.

hell ya!
07-23-2003, 07:04 PM
;) :glasses:

bigdaddyhorse
07-24-2003, 01:54 AM
Still haven't listened to the whole comm. track yet, but did catch about another half hour of it.
Don't waste your money on this. If anyone wants it, I'll be putting it up for trade when I finish the comm. It was kinda funny and somewhat informative, but i doubt I'll ever listen to it again. The 5.1 is the only saving grace, and it's not that much better than the 2.0 sound on the GoodTimes. I checked the part when the car blew up, and the bass response was pretty weak. Nice having shit going on in the rears, but can't get over the picture which has started to look more and more cropped (since it is!). It didn't matter much in the eariler scenes, but has hurt since.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
07-24-2003, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the review BigDaddy.

5.1 sound or not, this is a disc that I will be passing on. I will just stick with my old Good Times disc.