PDA

View Full Version : Which version?

Ralph Mouth
03-04-2001, 04:29 PM
Hi all.
I want to buy Dario Argento's classic "Tenebre" on DVD some time soon but am in two minds which version to get. I used to have the AB DVD version on video and am fully aware of the extra's, quality etc. However, I hear it is missing up to 30s of footage due to print damage, including trims to some gore scenes. The French version is apparently full, but has no extra's as far as I can make out. Has anyone seen the French disc and recommend it? Any info would be appreciated.

Ralph Mouth
03-04-2001, 06:02 PM
http://www.alapage.com

That's where I'm thinking of getting it. I need more persauding.

DVD Connoisseur
03-04-2001, 08:03 PM
AB will be issuing a new version of Tenebre in the future so it may be worth holding fire, particularly when you consider the quality of their "recent" Argento releases.

Ralph Mouth
03-04-2001, 09:00 PM
That's all they ever do is re-release stuff!!! Why can't they just get it right the first time and not annoy us collectors.

Thanks for that info DVD Con. Do you have any idea how far ahead this proposed re-release is? I really like this film and want it back in the ol'collection.

DVD Connoisseur
03-04-2001, 09:30 PM
Your guess is as good as mine. There is no release date showing on the (awful) AB site so my guess would be next year. A long wait but there's Opera and Suspiria to lessen the pain in the meantime! :D

The Chaostar
03-05-2001, 12:20 AM
Ralph, I can tell you that the gore is intact and that there are only 7 or 8 seconds of footage missing due to print damage at the end of each reel. There are no gore scenes at the reel ends so all the gore is here. Sazuma's DVD is also very good but the french DVD has mediocre sound quality according to www.darkdreams.ord (http://www.darkdreams.ord) (I do not own it, I can't tell). AB will release an anamorphic edition of Tenebre. I suggest you to wait...

Jason25
03-05-2001, 05:25 AM
I am curious about the French disc also. I own the AB and Sazuma versions, both of which I feel are pretty good, but could be better.

Ralph - do you know of any places on the net that carry the french version?