Final Destination 2 (2003) (R1)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JLZK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Features:

Beyond the Movie Features:

The Terror Gauge
Cheating Death: Beyond and Back
Fact Track

All-Access Pass Features:

Filmmaker Commentary - Director David Ellis, Producer Craig Perry, and Screenwriters Eric Bress and J. Mackye Gruber
Bits & Pieces: Bringing Death to Life
Deleted/Alternate Scenes with Commentary
Trailers

DVD-ROM Content:

Links to Original Website
Exclusive on-Disc ROM content includes: Script-to-Screen, Wallpapers, "Chain Reaction" and more!
Exclusive Content at Infinifilm.com

Video:

Widescreen 1.85:1 Color
Standard 1.33:1 Color

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=49723412733112&item_id=477650

Review

Let me start off by saying that I've never seen the original, nor the sequel, until just recently. I've heard of them, but I've never watched them. I didn't even know what they were about. I had the oppertunity to see the second one a few days ago. I'll admit that I was pleasently suprised to say the least. I knew people had good things to say about these movies, but I never paid much attention. I thought I'd be missing out on a lot since I've never seen the original, but the sequel clues you in and lets you know what happened, so that's not an issue.

Story

I'm sure a lot of you know how this goes, but for those of you who don't, let me clue you in. The main concept is that someone can see death before it happens. If they prevent death from happening, it eventually finds them, and whomever they saved, and finishes them off in the most brutal of ways. Think Mortal Kombat fatalities and you'll have a good idea of what to expect. I'd say this is sort of like a teeny bopper movie done right. Some people didn't like this movie, but that's the same with any other movie. The majority of people enjoyind this one, though, including myself.

Video

I don't have a big fancy TV. I just have your typical 27" GE from a few years ago, so I can't really comment on how good the videos is. From what I can tell, this movie looks fantastic, so I'm sure it would rock on some of you guys' fancy setups. The disc is a double-sided disc with the widescreen on one side and full screen on the other. Naturally I watched it in widescreen. I've never had a New Line 'infinifilm' disc before, but this definately won't be my last after seeing what they did with this disc.

Sound

I have a decent audio setup going here. It's not the best, but it's pretty decent. It consists of a JBL 5-piece speaker set, Kenwood receiver (5.1), Panasonic DVD player and a Sony subwoofer. I'd have to say that this disc sounds pretty damned sweet. I won't spoil it, but it totally rules during the opening sequence. You get the DTS ES 6.1, Dolby Digital EX 5.1 and Dolby Digital Stereo modes to choose from.

Effects

Yes, a lot of the effects are CGI, but damn do they look good. I don't mind CGI if used properly, and I'd have to say that they were definately used properly here. I don't even want to comment on anything that happens because it has to be seen to be appreciated. The same word keeps coming to mind. Brutal.

Extras

I haven't gotten to the extras yet, but there is some fun stuff on this disc. I forget the running times of the features, but one of them is over thirty minutes. I'll come back and update this thread once I've watched everything. One thing that I thought was neat was how you can access some of the features. You can set it to pop up trivia during the movie, or you can have people talk about how certain parts of the film were done. I haven't tried it out yet, but there's an on-screen notification for you to hit a button and it will show you the feature. I don't know if this is old news to some of you, but this is my first experience with this.

Overall

I definately give this movie and disc a thumbs up. I haven't had this much fun with a movie in a while. I'd recommend this for any horror collection.

Grim
07-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Great review Mortis. I enjoyed this disc to the fullest extent as well.

mariah
07-25-2003, 06:33 PM
Nice review.This is such a fun film to watch and I love all the crazy deaths.Excellent DVD.

bigdaddyhorse
07-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Awesome dvd. You gotta watch it with the infinifilm feature to see the actors screen tests (they're o.k., nothing great) and a great gag reel of all the deaths happening by Bus hit like the first movie! That shit was so funny it hurt! (Maybe it was the weed, but I almost rolled off the couch laughing so hard). I don't think that gag reel is in any of the features you can access directly, a bunch of the other infinifilm features are just chapters from the other features though.
I don't have the best tv either, just a Sony Wega bottom of the line but with a 16:9 mode. This disc looked incredible. The DtS track was bumping as well (my stereo is a small mutt. A kenwood reciever with small speakers from a Sony "all-in-1" set-up, and a decent powered sub. It still rocks my pretty small room, I didn't get to crank it as loud as I wanted cuz it was late and my shit will wake up the neighbors. Also it's only 6 speakers. not 7, so I can't comment on the 6.1 sound, but the downmix to 5.1 was great.
The Bits And Pieces doc. is also highly recomened. Too bad they have to show clips of Jason while talking about Halloween and other non-New Line gore movies though. Bring Death To Life was really enjoyable too, if you wanna know how they did the effects. A few things I thought were CGI weren't completely, pretty slick effects in this film.
Highly recommended!