PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Time

Mortis
07-26-2003, 09:18 PM
"Variety reports that the frequently touted resurrection of Hammer Films is finally on the verge of happening. The famous British company, which reimagined classic horror figures in bloody color and made stars out of the likes of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, has found new backing and is looking to launch a series of both original movies and remakes of its classic titles, along with video games, stage shows, Internet ventures, books, toys and other merchandising, as well as the establishing of a pay-TV horror channel! No specific titles have yet been announced. Look for the first part of an extensive Lee interview in Fango #227, on sale September 16."

http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=1269

mutleyhyde
07-27-2003, 08:04 AM
I'll believe it when I'm in my seat at the theater watching a new Hammer film. The current crop of producers have been promising a resurrection for many years now. Hopefully it will come to fruition, but I'm skeptical. It doesn't make me any more hopeful to hear their merchandising plans either... sounds like these are just a few money-minded sheisters looking to churn out some 'product'.

X-human
07-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Even if Hammer does come back, will it be so in name only? It's great all the digging DVD distributors have been doing for these classics, but do we really need to revive the company itself?

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with...

dwatts
07-27-2003, 01:00 PM
--along with video games, stage shows, Internet ventures, books, toys and other merchandising, as well as the establishing of a pay-TV horror channel!--

Look, I'm a HUGE Hammer fan - you have all probably worked that out. But, this "news" does nothing for me.

Firstly, if Hammer made movies today, I'd bet you money they would look like any other Hollywood horror flick. It'll be bunches of wonderful looking teens getting stalked by some killer or other.

How well do you think those classic movies would translate if made today? The originals work with a healthy dose of nostalgia, but you reckon there is hope for a real Mummy film (forget the awful Mummy remakes from Universal, the're action films, not horror films)?

And then, read the above quote. Video games, Stage shows, Internet ventures? Money sink holes each and every one of them. This is a quick road to death.

IF Hammer is to come back, then it must concentrate on what it was good at - or rather, that it is good at now (let's face it, how many of the originals are going to be around to be part of this?) Hammer would have a new identity, and will share name only with the old Hammer I know and love. And a new identity isn't, well, Hammer. It might be good and all, but it won't be Hammer, you know?

How about they work on getting all their back catalog films released on DVD? I want The Gorgon dammit. That would be impressive. The rest would need to work damn hard to get me back on board. I reckon a ressurrection of the TV Series Hammer House of Horror would be the place to start. However, I am dubious of the whole thing, to be honest.

Hammer was not simply a name. It was a stable of actors, it was a stable of Directors, producers and writers. It was a stable of lighting engineers and the movies were shot on the same locations (sometimes the same sets!) That is what made Hammer great. They're going to have to recapture that - and that'll take one big set of balls. I'd be interested to see if they can do that, but I'm not holding my breath.