PDA

View Full Version : ABīs "House By The Cemetery"

Rene
04-02-2001, 07:29 PM
Hi, I just read the infos to the forthcoming DVD here and on ABīs website. I think the cover-pic looks okay and although I remember I read about a 5.1 sound some time ago, doesnīt matter that itīs "only" 2.0 sound now. The Extras, well could have been a little bit more, but I donīt judge/complain before I know what exactly is on the disc. The only thing Iīm disappointed about already now is that the Italian soundtrack isnīt announced for this release, I thought when foreign movies come onto DVD the original soundtrack would already be some kind of standard today (at least since AB is a rather big and powerful DVD company and lately even made Danish soundtracks available on some discs), but maybe there arenīt many people who care to get the Italian "Quella Villa..." sound (?). So far for that, I actually wanted to ask something: AB writes something like "digitally transferred from the original camera negative"... what does that mean exactly ? I spent hours on thinking about that, only had the idea that the camera negative is the many-hours-source-material the film was shot on before the movie was put together (?). So did AB scan many hours of film and re-made the complete movie ? Wouldnīt that result in a more or less different movie and TONs of previously unreleased/unused material and "outtakes" ? Did I get this "camera negative" info wrong ? Any expert here who can explain ? Thanks.

Jeremy
04-03-2001, 02:42 AM
I was a little bit disappointed by the second EC disc. Yes, it's 16x9, but the transfer still looks rather muddy and dirty. The Fulci interview was nice, though. I would suggest waiting at until some reviews of the Anchor Bay version (out 5/29) start popping up, which shouldn't be too long (I don't know what the status on HBTC is, but Anchor Bay tends to send us screeners quite a bit before the title hits the streets). Besides the Anchor Bay disc and the two EC versions, there's also an acceptable (and cheap) disc from Diamond Entertainment. The world is certainly not wanting from a lack of House by the Cemetery DVDs.

napalm68
04-03-2001, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I think I;ll be waiting for the AB one... Looking at the review here, there were some annoying picture problems, that now they have been pointed out, would continually irritate me...

Rene
04-03-2001, 03:48 PM
Well, I (have to) wait for the AB disc because I pre-ordered and pre-paid it rather long ago, I have already another "HBTC" DVD, canīt afford to buy a 3rd one and have no access to EC discs anyway, so Iīm waiting (more or less) patiently. But... I really want to know whatīs it about this "camera negative" thingy I asked in my original post ? Please somebody explain... Thanks :)

jae
04-08-2001, 11:17 PM
I personally think the AB HBTC cover sucks ass. I heard this was some foreign release poster but I still don't like it. However I love the art on the EC DVD and am actually considering buying the EC DVD for that cover alone. Now, does anyone know if AB will include that cover as an insert? If so, I'll buy it.

boyd1955
04-09-2001, 11:06 AM
Renato
Striking a print from the camera negative will not include any material that was not in the final cut of the movie... The final cut is kept on the original negative (usually) and prints are struck from that, as needs be... There will be no extra material but it will be the best quality print that is possible.

Rene
04-09-2001, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Boyd:
Renato
Striking a print from the camera negative will not include any material that was not in the final cut of the movie... The final cut is kept on the original negative (usually) and prints are struck from that, as needs be...
Oh, thanks, finally an explanation ;) Sad if they were able to find/get this material then the Italian soundtrack probably wasnīt too far away. Hmmm, donīt kill me, but the word "camera" still is confusing me. If they would say "original negative" or "master negative" I would know and understand, but since they say "camera negative" I can only think of the (unedited) material that was in the camera when they filmed/shot the movie, long before anybody put the pieces together... so itīs not that ? So they used the original negative of the (finished) movie for this transfer ? Why the word "camera" then ?
There will be no extra material but it will be the best quality print that is possible.
The question then is what AB made out of the best quality source ;) This movie usually appeared too dark, reviews of previous releases could read like "the blacks are black and some scenes are even completely black"... so AB now hopefully gave it (much) more brightness. And since ABīs "The Beyond" release Iīm always afraid of a cropped picture (which was an earlier question from me, still is... strangely nobody else ever said a word about that anywhere, although I doubt that only my DVD had quite a lot of the picture "missing"... everybody always only says how perfect it was/is, so thatīs weird) but I give them another chance, just bad that May 29 isnīt tomorrow yet ;)

napalm68
04-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Here is some additional explanation from dvdreview.com today:

"Anchor Bay Entertainment, well known for releasing quality foreign releases, has begun transferring its Italian and British genre releases in Europe from the original 2-perferation negatives. For most, if not all, of these upcoming DVD releases, the films will be seen for the first time the way they were originally shot - not through an old anamorphic optically squeezed 4-perferation negative.
Some of the coming DVDs to take advantage of this process include the recently announced "The Cat O' Nine Tails", "The Black Cat", "Manhattan Baby", "The House by the Cemetery", "Mountain of the Cannibal God", "Summer Holiday", "The Young Ones", "Wonderful Life", "Companeros", "Theatre of Death", and the much anticipated Dr. Who titles, "Dr. Who and the Daleks" and "Daleks: Invasion Earth".
Anchor Bay should be applauded for their ongoing commitment to the best possible video quality on these titles. The process is not inexpensive, and can be quite time consuming to assure decent results. Hopefully we can expect more releases of this nature in the future."

Rene
04-11-2001, 11:29 PM
Interesting info, but doesnīt explain the use of the word "camera negative", even brings up new questions ;) Well, I learned not to applaud too soon, not before I have had the chance to check if everything is as good as itīs supposed to be ;) Letīs see the final result first... hmmm, just had to read ABīs "House By The Cemetery" and "Manhattan Baby" are postponed again, wonder if they come out before Christmas :(

Styx
04-12-2001, 01:35 AM
hmmm, just had to read ABīs "House By The Cemetery" and "Manhattan Baby" are postponed again, wonder if they come out before Christmas

That appears to be true House by the Cemetery, The Black Cat and Manhattan Baby aren't listed on Anchor Bay's site for May 29th. I knew getting three Fulci films and two Lamberto Bava films in one day was too good to be true. :(

Renato, when you say The Beyond is "cropped" how do you mean? Are you referring to the black bars on the top and bottom?! If so that is just due to the letterboxing process.

Rene
04-12-2001, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Styx:
That appears to be true House by the Cemetery, The Black Cat and Manhattan Baby aren't listed on Anchor Bay's site for May 29th. I knew getting three Fulci films and two Lamberto Bava films in one day was too good to be true. :(
I agree. In January when I read the DVDs come out "April 10" I placed the orders and thought how cool it is that they all come out that day (although I already found it hard to wait), April came closer and it changed to "May 29", now that May comes closer it changed to "June 12". Okay, itīs not so important to me that they all come out the same day, but I really hope thatīs now the final date.
Renato, when you say The Beyond is "cropped" how do you mean? Are you referring to the black bars on the top and bottom?! If so that is just due to the letterboxing process.
Iīm not sure if "cropped" is the right English word. I know itīs a Widescreen movie and the black bars are necessary, but when comparing the AB version of "The Beyond" with old videos I was disappointed to see that the picture has parts missing/covered at the top and bottom - the black bars are moved much too far into the picture - I couldnīt understand why AB (or the studio where they got their version from) positioned the black bars that way and not exactly at the edge of the picture, just found it strange and disappointing since AB always proudly told how complete and original the picture would be now. No doubt that their disc/tin is generally cool, besides this one thingy. I would have two captures (in one JPG) to show what I mean, is there any interest and how can it be displayed here if I have no space to store it online ?

napalm68
04-12-2001, 10:43 PM
Renato - it does explain the "original camera negative" bit. The films were shot using some odd 2 sprocket negative to give the 2.3:1 AR, but to enable cinematic release, the 2 sprocket negative has to be transferred to standard 4 sprocket film and anamorphically squeezed, which is a multi stage process - 2 sprocket neg to 4 sprocket anamorphic positive to a 4 sprocket negative that all prints are made from. What they are saying is that previously people were making transfers from the 4 sprocket anamorphic negatives rather than the original 2 sprocket camera negative.

Hope this helps.

Rene
04-18-2001, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by napalm68:
<STRONG>Renato - it does explain the "original camera negative" bit. The films were shot using some odd 2 sprocket negative to give the 2.3:1 AR, but to enable cinematic release, the 2 sprocket negative has to be transferred to standard 4 sprocket film and anamorphically squeezed, which is a multi stage process - 2 sprocket neg to 4 sprocket anamorphic positive to a 4 sprocket negative that all prints are made from. What they are saying is that previously people were making transfers from the 4 sprocket anamorphic negatives rather than the original 2 sprocket camera negative.

Hope this helps.</STRONG>

Well, helps a bit. Thanks :) I begin to understand but have to find out what a "sprocket" is now ;) After all, I hope that (whatever it is) results in a great quality version without anything missing on any part of the pic :)

napalm68
04-18-2001, 10:25 AM
A sprocket is the holes down the side of the piece of film that are used to turn the film through the projector. With a 2 sprocket process (which was rarely used, and it seems only in a few italian and fulci films as far as I know), they only push half the film through the camera, so it is a lot cheaper to shoot (half price). However, every single cinema projector in the universe and telecine machine is 4 sprocket, so although it is shot with half the film, it has to be blown up to a 4 sprocket format to enable anyone to use it.

Rene
04-21-2001, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the further explanation, I think I got it now (mainly), somehow like recording a tape in "LP" mode, but not the same ;) By the way, I didnīt know that in the US there is even "EP" mode used until I got an US tape from Amazon, such a low quality really shouldnīt be used or sold, sure they save money for the tape but the movie is nearly unwatchable for a movie fan then, but okay that doesnīt belong here ;) Iīm talking about the Italian SciFi-Horror movie "New Barbarians/Warriors Of The Wasteland", guess thatīs not coming on DVD so soon, or is it ?

Rene
05-01-2001, 01:01 PM
Thanks again, this time for the menue-screenshots preview. Interesting and good to see that AB really works on the DVD :) Hmmm, the menues have only a background and text/buttons so far, AB is still working on them and inserting some photos/shots/faces from the movie into the menues, right? ;)