PDA

View Full Version : Argento's Trauma

AceRimRat
12-01-2000, 11:41 PM
Now on an Argento kick, I was just wondering if there's any news of this particular film, which I just saw a review of today (and didn't previously realize existed; I'm still catching up) - is/was it on DVD? Will it be?

No returns on Amazon or DVD Empire, so I'm assuming it's not out. Anchor Bay's new Web site confounds me as far as finding stuff, but a search yielded nothing.

Any help? Thanks...

ArrowBeach
12-02-2000, 01:45 AM
TRAUMA was released on VHS and LD by World Visions. They released a cut and uncut version. I still see the slp VHS sell thru's on sale at Suncoast from time ot time.

Paff
12-02-2000, 02:18 AM
I don't know which Argento films you've seen and which ones you haven't, but I'd put Trauma at or near the bottom of the "must-see" Argento list.

Some people like it, but it really lacks the style of an Argento film, and the plot is nothing to write home about either. Even worse is that the effects are done by Tom Savini, but you'd never know it.

I've only seen the US version, which is definitely cut, and pan-and-scan, but I a proper version would improve my opinion of it. The concept of early trauma having an effect on people is simply done much better in Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, Deep Red, and Tenebrae. Dario went to that well one too many times. He also tries to take on drug addiction and anorexia, subjects I really don't think he's familiar with, and it shows. Perhaps because this is an almost all-American film, he tried to adapt his Giallo concepts to an American audience, and it doesn't work very well.

The follow-up, The Stendhal Syndrome goes back to matters Dario has done quite well with in the past, like obsession, and is one of his finest works to date. But Trauma is one for completists only. (although you do get to see his daughter Asia topless, and she couldn't have been more than 17 at filming. What a dad....hahahahah)

AceRimRat
12-02-2000, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the aid, y'all.

(For the record, I've seen Phenomena, Tenebre and Inferno, with Deep Red awaiting and Bird and Stendahl on my wish list. Saw part of Suspiria on cable and tried to sit through Phantom...)

And my social life's not so bad I'd sit through a lousy movie for a topless teen. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

The Chaostar
12-02-2000, 03:41 AM
I must say that Trauma is the Argento film I like the least. It's like Argento tried to make a film for US audiences, throwing away most of the elements we all so love in a real Argento film like candy colours, surealism and excessive violence. It does have a nice soundtrack from Pino Donaggio though (get the cd!). Even so, I'd buy a DVD of the film, no question about it.

Anthony
12-02-2000, 12:09 PM
I love TRAUMA, and think a widescreen version would show it off even better. A great opening shot, some lovely stylistics and an interesting use of music to suggest emotional states, (hence the change of score in the final shot as Asia dances). The Italian video release was scoped, and a friend of mine duped the Oz PAL VHS TRAUMA soundtrack over the scoped Italian version - voila, an instant widescreen, English-language PAL master. It's come out in the UK in scoped form since then, but maybe cut, though I think I read recently that Nouveax(?) pictures were going to re-release it in a special form (maybe uncut, LTBX DVD) to take advantage of the recent liberalisation of UK censorship laws.

I just wish Dario would direct more often. Here's the official site for his new movie... http://www.nonhosonno.it

parallax1
12-11-2000, 06:43 AM
Anchor Bay has it on their list...or they did last time I checked. Seems to be a ways away though.

DVD Connoisseur
12-31-2000, 11:07 PM
Metro-Tartan are releasing Trauma in the UK in 2001. I don't know when but they're also releasing Return of the Living Dead and the Ring trilogy! I'm certainly excited about the 2001 releases on DVD.....

JBENE
01-01-2001, 12:17 AM
TRAUMA is not on their list for the DARIO ARGENTO COLLECTION, but these films are

THE CHURCH
THE SECT
CAT O 9 TAILS
TWO EVIL EYES
SUSPIRIA
OPERA

DVD Connoisseur
01-01-2001, 02:45 PM
JBENE, I read the info at: http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/
under the News section (Tartan Terror confirmed!!). Their info is usually reliable so let's see if Trauma surfaces this year.

Jason25
01-12-2001, 04:55 AM
JBENE, those are some excellent titles on their release schedule. More money to spend on dvd !