View Full Version : Battle Royale 2 review

BloodMan
07-29-2003, 08:58 PM
http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/action/battleroyale2/battleroyale2.html

:)

Nick

Maupin
07-30-2003, 08:05 AM
I agree completely with the reviewer's opinion after seeing it the first time: major disappointment. Maybe if I saw it again my opinion would improve, but I doubt it.

What he doesn't mention is that there is absolutely no character development in Battle Royale 2, as opposed to the first film in which we get to know bits and pieces about the characters through their interactions with each other and flashbacks to their lives before the "game." All the kids blend together and all the adult soldiers blend together so the endless gun battles just get more and more boring.

Riki Takeuchi can't touch Beat Takeshi and his overacting is indeed painful to behold. You have to see it to believe it.

The almost childishly confusing anti-American message ensures that this film will not get a theatrical release in the U.S.

mcchrist
07-30-2003, 07:23 PM
What he doesn't mention is that there is absolutely no character development in Battle Royale 2, as opposed to the first film in which we get to know bits and pieces about the characters through their interactions with each other and flashbacks to their lives before the "game."

You know, that was one of two things I didn't like about the first one. The storyline made the movie drag horribly. The second thing I hated about BR1 was the fugitive ending, but that's OT.

Paff
09-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I've owned this movie for over a year, unwatched, due to so many poor reviews.

Well, I watched it last week and...I liked it! Maybe it was the shitty reviews that lowered my expectations, but I don't think it was that bad. Yes, the gun battles go on way too long, and the second half kind of falls apart. I really liked the basic premise though. Sure, they could have re-done the first one with the "could you kill your best friend?" motif, but I see it as more of a logical extension of the events of Battle Royale. The government used the "out of control" youth as an excuse for basically exploiting the kids for their own enjoyment. It explains why the survivors would be so anti-government, and how it would only be one small step for the government to use the kids to fight their battles for them under the guise of the "BR Act"

I wish they had fleshed out that premise better, but it was enough to hold my interest.

As for the anti-US message, I liked seeing that, as it shows how other countries view us. When you see the list of the countries that the US has waged war on, it's not hard to see why some people view us as bullies. Of course, when the teacher listed those countries that we've bombed, he conveniently ignores the fact that many of them (particularly his own) HAD IT COMING.

An acceptable sequel, not as good as the first, but few things in life are.

X-human
09-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Of course, when the teacher listed those countries that we've bombed, he conveniently ignores the fact that many of them (particularly his own) HAD IT COMING.

He also forgot to mention that Japan had attacked many of the same countries as well in attempts to expand their literal Empire. Within the same time frame as well, as far back as they go with American attacks I can match with Japanese attacks.

The "buddy system" is perhaps the most illogical part. Why would the army want their invading troops deaths doubled by every kill? No matter how crazy a military may get, that they'd do this simply is an impossiblity. Perhaps that was the movies point, but come on "suspension of disbelief" can only go so far.

For me this was hypocritical because every moment of that movie was so perfectly Americanized Hollywood all I could do was roll my eyes whenever they attacked "America." I think it did a better job copying Hollywood crap than Team American: World Police did. The movie was just so unJapanese to me, the culture attacks became laughable. So with that said, I grade this exactly as I'd grade something by Michael Bay. Too overblown and yet medicocre for its own good.

KillerCannabis
09-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Simply put I think BR is a masterpiece and BR2 is just a piece. I rreeaalllly wish it was an awesome flick, but it just aint. I still plan on picking up the R2 director's cut edition, hopefully that'll flesh out more of the opening scenes, which were the best part of the movie. BTW, what the fuck is up with Takeuchi? That teacher is one weirdo........

Mok
09-23-2005, 06:55 PM
BTW, what the fuck is up with Takeuchi? That teacher is one weirdo........

Riki Takeuchi can't touch Beat Takeshi and his overacting is indeed painful to behold. You have to see it to believe it.

I thought he was cool. Funny, but still cool. His hair rules. :D Sure Beat is supreme, but Riki played a good spaz.

MXC RULES!!!
- Indeed Kenny...

Paff
09-23-2005, 07:28 PM
The "buddy system" is perhaps the most illogical part. Why would the army want their invading troops deaths doubled by every kill? No matter how crazy a military may get, that they'd do this simply is an impossiblity. Perhaps that was the movies point, but come on "suspension of disbelief" can only go so far.

Not necessarily. The one advantage of the "buddy system" is that it will create soldiers with nothing to lose. See, if your buddy gets killed, then you're dead in 30 seconds or so too, right? So what do you do? Might as well go out and shoot as many people as you can, with no regard to your own safety. Or, you could create a diversion by running out in the open, while the rest of the troops can make a move. The enemy does not know about the "buddy system", so they don't know when or why a person will be making one of these kamikaze (pun intended) runs.

X-human
09-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Not necessarily. The one advantage of the "buddy system" is that it will create soldiers with nothing to lose. See, if your buddy gets killed, then you're dead in 30 seconds or so too, right? So what do you do? Might as well go out and shoot as many people as you can, with no regard to your own safety. Or, you could create a diversion by running out in the open, while the rest of the troops can make a move. The enemy does not know about the "buddy system", so they don't know when or why a person will be making one of these kamikaze (pun intended) runs.

I applaud your effort, that's about the most reasonable use of such a buddy system, but it is grossly inefficient and ineffective. I also don't believe that theory can be supported by anything within the film itself. It's a nice idea, but that doesn't explain why they did it in the film.

For the most part it just turned the other buddy into a blithering bawling idiot who at best may attempt a forced and perhaps untimely misguided attack but at worst would get many more of their own troops killed either directly by the mechanisim that killed the would be kamikaze or indirectly through chaotic arms fire produced by the paniac. Which of course would produce another chaotic wave of buddy deaths.

The later worst case senario was played on much more often in the film, I specifically recall two scenes and unless I'm mistaken none of the army personal specified this as their intention of the buddy system. I find the policy itself and the film's implementation of that policy to be very difficult to accept as an audience member. A movie can try and sell any idea it wants, but it's got to actually sell that idea to be any good of a movie.

You can defend the film, that's fine anyone can like any form of entertainment for any number of reasons and I will not deprive you of that enjoyment. But the buddy system as used in BR2 is probably the worst policy I've ever heard for combat, followed closely by shooting your own retreating men on sight. Kamikaze isn't a bad idea, in certain situations it is a good strategy (for example a damaged plan that will crash anyways).

I know the whole point of the film is that the buddy system is stupid, you're not suppose to like it, but what's the point of that? I gained nothing from that, you already dislike the military for using the Battle Royale system as it was. You don't need to add a buddy system into a sequel in order to make us hate them more, it just cheapened the film for me.