PDA

View Full Version : LASERDISK question

r_burgos2003
07-30-2003, 04:09 AM
Does anyone know of the last laserdisk ever produced? And for that matter, how long was it till the first dvd produced?

Mortis
07-30-2003, 04:35 AM
I'm sure they overlapped at one point.

Disco Stu
07-30-2003, 04:50 AM
End of Days was the last LD produced officially in the US, and DVD's had been around for more than two years before that.

r_burgos2003
07-30-2003, 04:55 AM
That is wierd. Was there like a good-bye party or something? Wasn't Twister like the first dvd ever?

wago70
07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
The first Official DVD was that stupid promo disc that featured Thai dancers and a few other images. All it featured was the multi-camera angles and nice picture. It was for display here in San Francisco by Toshiba at Good Guys. This was a few months before the first feature films came out...Twister among them. I know, useless trivia.

dwatts
07-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Man, I wish that Thai dancing movie would come out as an SE!

r_burgos2003
07-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Hey, but it's cool trivia.

Dave
07-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Actually, Sleepy Hollow and Bringing out the Dead were the last two movies to be released on laserdisc here in the U.S. They were released simultaneously. End of Days was prior to both of those.

The last in Japan, I believe, was 6th Day or The Cell.

There was no goodbye party. LD was just a business for Image and Pioneer. Once the money dried up, they killed it up rather quickly.

r_burgos2003
07-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Quite sad for it just to go away. You know, once it's off the shelves, it's off the shelves.

Paff
07-30-2003, 08:16 PM
I got a nice bonus at work in 1997 I think, and had the choice of buying an LD player or a DVD. I went with LD, as I wanted copies of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Alien, Die Hard, Suspiria, The Godfather, Jaws, Evil Dead, Elm Street, From Dusk Till Dawn, etc, none of which were available on DVD at the time. I used to giggle at DVD chat boards when people complained about all the big movies not out on DVD (like they still do today).
Of course, most of those movies now are available on DVD, but at the time, LD was a much better option than DVD. There was also the big DIVX argument at the time, thankfully that turned out the right way.

I have the 1998 Widescreen Review guide to LDs and DVDs, and there are some very interesting responses to the year-end poll. Look how much things have changed in just the last 4-5 years:

Where do you purchase your Laserdiscs:
Video/Music Superstore - 24%
Mail Order - 23%
Video Retailer - 23%
Internet - 10%

I'd bet Internet would be over 95% at this point

Do you prefer?
Widescreen - 91%
Full Frame - 5%

Sadly this one would be quite different now...

Do you plan to replace the titles you own on Laserdisc with new DVD versions?
Yes - 18%
No - 82%

Are you happy with Laserdisc performance?
Yes - 90%
No - 8%

Prior to owning a DVD player, did you own a Laserdisc player?
Yes - 84%
No - 16%

(tells us a lot about the early adopters of DVD)

Is your DVD player hooked up to a DTS Digital Sound processor?

Yes - 24%
No - 74%

In general, do you think Laserdiscs are a real bargain?
Yes - 27%
No - 68%

we paid a lot for our hobby, and we knew it.

Overall, which format do you prefer?
Laserdisc - 52%
DVD - 48%

Dave
07-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Yes and no. From a business standpoint you can't argue with it. Both Pioneer and Image continued to announce a few titles here and there, but most didn't get enough preorders to justify the minimum pressing of 500.

I just wish certain companies went out with a bang. For instance, I wish Criterion's last LD title wasn't Armageddon.

I believe Elite's last LD was The Evil Dead SE box, though I could be wrong. Even if I'm right, they didn't plan on it being their last. I know they announced more but some, if not all, were canned due to lack of orders. Evil Dead SE box would be a good way to go out.

dwatts
07-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Erm, to be honest, I consider Laserdisk to be a dead format. Not comparing better or worse - it's just dead.

I wouldn't buy Star Wars of it was out on DVD, nor Indiana Jones. But of course, there are things I'd like to have. But the well is very deep as it is.

r_burgos2003
07-30-2003, 08:32 PM
If I remember correctly, MADE IN AMERICA was one of the first dvds to ever come out. Not the first, but one of the first few dozen. It has no menus, no features, Fullframe and 2.0 or 1.0 sound. Well, obviously something special came out after that because if dvds we still like that, i would opt not to get it. But now, you can get it for $4.99 which is correct for that kind of dvd. BTW-Does anyone have a pic of the beginning of dvds? THe ones that everyone (or most everyone) hates because you pull the bottom out and the dvd could get scratched?

Dave
07-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by dwatts
Erm, to be honest, I consider Laserdisk to be a dead format. Not comparing better or worse - it's just dead.

I wouldn't buy Star Wars of it was out on DVD, nor Indiana Jones. But of course, there are things I'd like to have. But the well is very deep as it is.

To be honest, I don't care. :evil:

We've been over this before on this forum. From a business standpoint (sales, new releases, etc.), it's dead. From an end user standpoint, it's alive and kicking.

Until my lasers stop being spinned, they are alive and well.

frightfan
07-30-2003, 08:57 PM
I remember walking around HMV in downtown Toronto in the summer of 1997 and seeing the first few DVDs they had. There were maybe ten altogether and the only one I can remember clearly was the Stargate Special Edition with 9mins of previously unscreened footage and a trailer and the first Total Recall with just the trailer. Those had to be the first, whatever they were. I wish I could remember.

I was never really that enthusiastic about LD because of the prices... just couldn't get my head around it. But then DVD came out and I saw that it was Good :)