PDA

View Full Version : my review of SNUFF

DefJeff
07-30-2003, 09:29 AM
When it comes to movies that I have never seen before, this forum is almost always the place I use as a "buyer's guide" so to speak. When the topic of SNUFF came up, well, everyone basically said it blew-- I don't think one person had a good thing to say about it to be honest with you. Well I still had the desire to check this out, I'm not quite sure why, but I did and now I am writing this review so no one else makes the same mistake as me!

Blue Underground did an OK job on the a/v with this one in my opinion. It is presented in Full Frame and Mono. The picture quality is decent, I am not sure how this movie looked previously so I can't really comment on how good of a job BU did on restoring this or anything. The audio is just OK too, not great, but passable.

No extras at all to speak of. No menu, no trailer, no nothing...but you know what? Thats OK, Blue Underground presents this with no credits on the sleeve or anything to give it a "bootleg" feel, which actually is pretty cool (just this once).

This movie is about a chick who comes to Hollywood to shoot a movie, and while there, she meets up with a lover she met in NY. Little does she know that her lover has a chick living with him that belongs to a Manson-style cult. That chick was planted there to have the guys baby for a sacrifice. After tons of filler scenes, and a few people getting knocked off, the leader takes his servents and they invade the guys house .. then the surprise (and stupid) ending comes. I've read this film compaired to the Sharon Tate murder by the Manson Family, but I know nothing about that, so it wouldn't be fair to compaire.

I would've loved to write a more entertaining and enthusiastic synopsis of this movie, but there is just nothing good to say about it. Everything about this film was hideous in my opinion, but the main offenders were the lame FX and unlikable, corny characters.

I found absolutly nothing entertaining about this movie (aside from one of the best taglines ever) and you can't even buy the disc for the cool extra features, because there are none! So in conclusion, I will repeat myself once again from the other thread-- Everything everyone has said about this film was correct! Seriously it is as bad as they say. Avoid!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000096IBY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

dwatts
07-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Yeah, but is it any good? :)

Atmims
07-30-2003, 03:27 PM
:lol: I don't believe you, I think I'm gonna buy this anyways.

Nah, serious thanks for the warning man. I will definetly not be buying this. Helpful review.

Mortis
07-30-2003, 03:31 PM
I'll take his word for it, even though he's a scumbag. :D

mcchrist
07-30-2003, 07:06 PM
I'll say it again...

sucker. :D

Jimbo
07-30-2003, 10:17 PM
I will save my money and spend it elsewhere.I have heard nothing good about this film at all.

thedirtyone
07-31-2003, 02:16 AM
haha but it has such a great title.

zombi3
07-31-2003, 03:56 PM
I don't think the film is a complete waste of time. It's not something that I'll watch over and over again, but I found the "acting" and dubbing hysterical.:lol: I think I'd probably enjoy it more after a six pack (or 2).:banana:

dwatts
07-31-2003, 05:18 PM
I'll tell you what the problem is. Despite everything, despite KNOWING it's trash of the lowest order, despite warnings and reviews - I still WANT to like this film. I love the idea, I love the packaging, I love the concept of the final segment.

As I said, I know it is seriously flawed, and I know I'll likely be disapointed, but it attracts me in a morbid way that I'm finding hard to resist. I *will* resist until I see it cheap. But at a $10 price point, I don't think I could resist.

DefJeff
07-31-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by dwatts
...despite warnings and reviews - I still WANT to like this film. I love the idea, I love the packaging, I love the concept of the final segment.

As I said, I know it is seriously flawed, and I know I'll likely be disapointed, but it attracts me in a morbid way that I'm finding hard to resist.

Yeah, pretty much why I checked it out too. I felt the same way. If anyone ends up checking it out, I'd love to know what you thought of it.

rhett
07-31-2003, 07:26 PM
I'll tell you what the problem is. Despite everything, despite KNOWING it's trash of the lowest order, despite warnings and reviews - I still WANT to like this film. I love the idea, I love the packaging, I love the concept of the final segment. The same thing goes for me too. I know everyone who has seen it says it is terrible, but I've read some articles on it, and I'd really just like to see what all the fuss is about. Also, I think Blue Underground has done a sensational job with the DVD...it totally has my anticipating it with mystery.

Thanks for the review though Jeff, I am sure when I finally do see the film I will be wishing I listened to you. ;)

Grim
07-31-2003, 08:01 PM
Here's my question, is it really in a paper bag?:D

dwatts
07-31-2003, 10:25 PM
In a brilliant marketing move, you have to pick up the paper bag at the local 7-eleven. Apparently, you have to ask for the clerk from "South America" to sign it for you.

In the ultimate tie-in, if he makes a spelling mistake, you get to waste him.

betterdan
08-01-2003, 12:31 AM
In a brilliant marketing move, you have to pick up the paper bag at the local 7-eleven. Apparently, you have to ask for the clerk from "South America" to sign it for you.

In the ultimate tie-in, if he makes a spelling mistake, you get to waste him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew
08-01-2003, 05:09 AM
I think the tagline is unnecessary. It would've been a lot cooler had it just said SNUFF. But that's just my opinion. Great review, and now I have next to no interest to check this out.

zombi3
08-01-2003, 05:42 AM
I'll tell you what the problem is. Despite everything, despite KNOWING it's trash of the lowest order, despite warnings and reviews - I still WANT to like this film. I love the idea, I love the packaging, I love the concept of the final segment.

As I said, I know it is seriously flawed, and I know I'll likely be disapointed, but it attracts me in a morbid way that I'm finding hard to resist. I *will* resist until I see it cheap. But at a $10 price point, I don't think I could resist.

If you go in expecting nothing more than mindless cheese, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Applesngore
08-05-2003, 01:24 AM
BUt if it takes place in Hollywood, why does the front cover say "made in south america"?

studio1
08-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Everything everyone has said about this film was correct! Seriously it is as bad as they say. Avoid!

I agree - Avoid at all costs - this is utter shit!!!

I recall renting it from the local Video store when it first came out, I watched half an hour, switched it off and took it back to the shop and got a refund.

S1

Mortis
08-06-2003, 07:37 PM
I feel dumb for not finding the trailer for SNUFF on the BU site until now.

drown021
08-26-2003, 02:17 AM
ugh,I just bought this movie without knowing anything about it,then I did a search here and found this.Too bad I already opened it.20 bucks down the drain.Maybe I will like it.:nervous:

Eddie Quist
08-26-2003, 07:35 AM
This has gotta be one of the most hated films in genre history... Still, it is something I would consider renting but definitely not buying.

Sinister Ash
09-04-2003, 08:50 PM
It really sucked ass. I hated this film. One of the worst buys.... EVER.

x666x
09-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Luckily, I rented this years back. So I know it is a waste of money. This is so terrible that I can't believe anyone would want to release this. It is not even good in a bad way. It was probably cheap to buy the rights and to just give it a slick looking cover.

Deaddevilman
09-05-2003, 10:55 PM
My three word review of Snuff- Don't by it!

HillsHaveEyes13
09-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Well look at it this way, it is limited to 10,000 copies, so mabye in about 3 years you can sell it off to someone at a good price.

Hammerfan
09-07-2003, 05:04 AM
From the way this movie is being reviewed, it might take 10 years to sell even 10,000....if that. I predict this will end up as a cut out in the bargain bin sooner than later.

Gutwrencher
09-20-2003, 02:54 AM
I'm a Blue Underground slut....I buy all the label puts out. it's in my library and will stay there...even though it's not that good. a completist lives by different rules.;)

speanroc
09-20-2003, 03:05 AM
this film was originally called slaughter and shelved for a couple of
years ,than picked up, title was changed and the 5 minute segment was tacked on the end with bloody effects by ed french.
(sleepaway camp efx man)
i think it's worth getting for the controversy surrounding it.

x666x
09-20-2003, 07:46 AM
I don't hear much controversy around it except for the fact that it sucks!

rhett
09-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Okay, so is there anyone who actually enjoyed this film?

zombi3
09-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by rhett
Okay, so is there anyone who actually enjoyed this film?

I enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty funny.:lol:

RyanPC
04-30-2005, 10:40 PM
I think you guys are nuts, SNUFF is a sleaze and cheese masterpiece! There wasn't really a whole lot of gore until the end of the movie, but I loved the sleazy feel, the fantastic music, and the horrible dubbing. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though, considering most people really hate this film.

dwatts
04-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I haven't posted about it, but I did finally manage to get a copy of this movie. It's quite bad I suppose. However, as presented in the context of "Snuff", I felt it still delivered. The tacked on endings - which as we know was just a Produers whim - is all the more powerful for it. it's so out of place, so stupid, so mean, that you kind of gawp at it in disbelief. So yeah, it still worked for me for what it is. It wasn't trying to be momentous, just shocking.

Now - I will say - the no chapter stop thing is annoying beyond belief. Not even a fast forward! Just annoying - not cool. I see what they were going for, but personally, I really don't appreciate it.

RyanPC
04-30-2005, 11:20 PM
I haven't posted about it, but I did finally manage to get a copy of this movie. It's quite bad I suppose. However, as presented in the context of "Snuff", I felt it still delivered. The tacked on endings - which as we know was just a Produers whim - is all the more powerful for it. it's so out of place, so stupid, so mean, that you kind of gawp at it in disbelief. So yeah, it still worked for me for what it is. It wasn't trying to be momentous, just shocking.

Now - I will say - the no chapter stop thing is annoying beyond belief. Not even a fast forward! Just annoying - not cool. I see what they were going for, but personally, I really don't appreciate it.

I pretty much agree with you 100%. The film is awful beyond belief, but it was highly entertaining to me and certainly not boring at all. And yeah, the whole packaging idea BU conjured up was clever, but I'm very disappointed in the release. They should have at least compiled some extras, such as a documentary going into the history of this film... Lord knows it's infamous enough to deserve one. As bad as this DVD is, though, I'll still probably pick it up sometime.

Criswell
05-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Snuff is as important in Exploitation filmking as Freaks.

No it's not as good (in fact it's terrible) but it created a whole social awareness.

Read any three reviews of the film and all will differ on it's heritage...that's the joy!!

It's a must have for any exploitation collector if only as a reference point and piece of history.

dwatts
05-01-2005, 01:19 AM
-- As bad as this DVD is, though, I'll still probably pick it up sometime.--

--It's a must have for any exploitation collector if only as a reference point and piece of history.--

You know, Criswell, that is exactly why I *had* to have a copy of this film on DVD. it's status - which goes above and beyond the quality of the film (which kinda goes without saying, I know).

I'm pretty proud of my collection of horror titles, and Snuff would leave a hole if it were not represented. It's a key part of the exploitation legacy (and yes, it's history is amazing). I couldn't be without it.

ps: I gotta tell you though, it took me a long time to get a copy since the price for this thing is obscene for what you get. BU are asking too much, imo.

Criswell
05-01-2005, 10:19 AM
--It's a must have for any exploitation collector if only as a reference point and piece of history.--

You know, Criswell, that is exactly why I *had* to have a copy of this film on DVD. it's status - which goes above and beyond the quality of the film (which kinda goes without saying, I know).

I'm pretty proud of my collection of horror titles, and Snuff would leave a hole if it were not represented. It's a key part of the exploitation legacy (and yes, it's history is amazing). I couldn't be without it.

ps: I gotta tell you though, it took me a long time to get a copy since the price for this thing is obscene for what you get. BU are asking too much, imo.

True. I seriously had an arguement with my father in law when we first met and he claimed Snuff films really existed and used Snuff as a refererence point.

Naturally I put in my copy.......he shut up and has hated me since.

:D :D :D

shift
05-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I like to see some still pics of this movie. Anyone care to share some? Thanks

bigwes15
05-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I have this and watched it once, and yes, it did suck. However, its place in horror history is undeniable and I am still glad that I got it. BU's unique packaging and lack of any amenities was obviously part of the joke that this film really is, and I am ok with it-especially since I'll probably watch this movie only once more over the years, if that.