PDA

View Full Version : DVD of the Week - Week 1 - Don't Torture A Duckling

Jason25
12-11-2000, 05:36 AM
Thought I'd try something new here. I'm going to pick one euro horror dvd each week. I'm hoping everyone will find the time to watch it that week and have a discussion on here concerning the movie. I had to start with a Fulci film.

Jason25
12-22-2000, 04:58 AM
Kinda pointless to share my thoguhts if no one is participating, but that's cool.

A great early Fulci film. I say early because it is one of his earlier films in this genre.
Excellent atmosphere, beautiful scenery. Fulci gives us a great film that should be seen by everyone.

Mark Relford
12-23-2000, 12:45 AM
Jason25, my thoughts exactly. This movie was a pleasant surprise. It shows another side to Fulci. The chain whipping to the witch scene was unforgettable. Dig that song playing in the background!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

DVD Connoisseur
02-10-2001, 11:54 PM
Well, better late than never (or so they say). I finally viewed this tremendous film tonight - what a surprise! This film was a real thriller and not at all what I expected. The acting was first class, the cinematography was excellent....this was a great recommendation.

Mark, the song being used in the background when the witch was being attacked by the vigilantes, it was like an early Resevoir Dogs scene, wasn't it? The contrast between the imagery and the out-of-place music was chilling.

Definitely a classic from Fulci and proof that the guy had a directorial talent that did not start and end with gore-fests.

Mark Relford
02-14-2001, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur:
Mark, the song being used in the background when the witch was being attacked by the vigilantes, it was like an early Resevoir Dogs scene, wasn't it? The contrast between the imagery and the out-of-place music was chilling.

Definitely a classic from Fulci and proof that the guy had a directorial talent that did not start and end with gore-fests.

Yeah, you're right on the money with that one! I wonder if Tarantino was inspired by that gut wrenching scene.
Don't Torture A Duckling still pushes the envelope with certain scenes. (example: lonely nympho seducing the boy.)

johnmar
02-16-2001, 12:12 AM
I loved this film too. I especially liked the voodoo sub plot. As for the chain whipping scene, I'll bet anything that it inspired the similar scene in Reservoir Dogs. My only gripe with the DVD is that it didn't include an Italian track. Being Italian, it is slightly annoying listening to the citizens of a small Italian village speaking English. Oh well, it's still a great film.

Rene
03-03-2001, 01:20 AM
Hi, I must not forget to give my blabla to this fine title... "Donīt Torture A Duckling" (Donīt Torture Donald Duck, Quak-Quak) ;) Good movie, it shows that people who say Fulci was an oh-so-baaad director are either wrong (that anyway) or havenīt seen this rather serious work... nicely filmed and it looks so good in 2.35:1 format, especially the scene/s with the landscape and the bridge show what Widescreen is for :) Generally even good acting here, from the kids to the adults... oh, and seems Fulci has remembered the nasty "chain-scene" when he later filmed "The Beyond" (?)... A nice DVD, the no-extras can be forgiven, only strange that somebody has cut out 1 minute from the end-credits-song (the English soundtrack used for this release originally included the full song), but anyway... the new version on DVD makes the earlier low-quality Video releases look very bad ;)