PDA

View Full Version : Argento's Opera

Steve
01-16-2001, 09:43 PM
Has anyone got the so called Italian Region 2 release of Opera because it is supposed to be available but I cannot find anywhere to obtain it. Sazuma.com advertises it but when you click the picture or the title it comes up with an error also I have ordered it from another source and haven't heard anything yet. It is available apparently from an Italian website but I don't know any Italian.
If anyone out there knows anything please let me know.

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-16-2001, 10:58 PM
I know that this doesn't answer your question, but why did Argento feel the need to RUIN this film with that shit ass heavy metal music?! This could have been SOOOO much more effective if he used, saaay, OPERA music with the scenes instead of ear torture like iron maiden sounding shit! Like wise with Phenomena! at leat this one keeps it to a minimun. still! AHHHHH!

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

napalm68
01-16-2001, 10:59 PM
You can get it from <A HREF="http://www.dvdonline.it/show-bin/show.pl?ugY8dzs0YOjHS8Q=3Qjb0lgaPg8YcYgbVPb0">DVDOnline</A> - an Italian site, and much cheaper. I am not sure if it carries English Subtitles though.

Does anyone know if it has English Subtitles?

Has anyone actually been able to look at anything at Sazuma? I have gotten nothing but errors there for the last two weeks. Pissing me off...
------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

[This message has been edited by napalm68 (edited 01-16-2001).]

Argento Fan 2003
01-17-2001, 12:14 AM
I liked the heavy metal in Phenomena. I don't think music ruins a film either, the same goes for a bad movie with good music.

The Chaostar
01-17-2001, 01:33 AM
I believe that the use of Heavy Metal music in Opera is extraordinary. Not only it enriches the scenes but also it makes them even more violent, "giving" you the urge to "kill". Although I wouldn't say the same thing about SUSPIRIA. And remember, GOBLIN were quite heavy for 1975 too.

The Chaostar
01-17-2001, 01:35 AM
MISTAKE! What I wanted to write was "Although I wouldn't say the same thing about PHENOMENA"! Why on earth did I wrote SUSPIRIA is beyond me!

Argento Fan 2003
01-17-2001, 02:24 AM
LoL I was wondering why you said that about Suspiria. I haven't had the chance to see Opera yet so I'll have to judge the heavy metal music for myself. What you say about how you feel about Opera and the music is similar to the way I feel about Phenomena except for the urge to kill part lol. I just think it fits in well with the wild plot and chase scenes. When Jennifer was walking away from John McGregor's house after he had been murdered I thought it was effective seeing her look over her shoulder and pick up the pace.

SantaSangre
01-17-2001, 02:32 PM
Does anybody know when the Anchor Bay DVD of Opera is supposed to come out? I saw it on the old AB site, but I forgot and can't find it on the new one. This is my favorite Argento movie and the release I'm most looking forward to this year.

The Chaostar
01-17-2001, 05:19 PM
Argento Fan, I though of the same thing when I first watch Phenomena. But then I saw Opera and the use of heavy metal music was a billion times more clever and well placed. You'll see my friend...

Jason25
01-21-2001, 06:32 AM
I'm not sure when it's coming out. It's a bitch trying to see AB's new release schedule on their site.

I'm also really looking forward to this one.

DVD Connoisseur
01-22-2001, 07:42 PM
Guys, the site just states the release date as "late 2001." For the record, go to Coming Attractions and then click on the button at the bottom of the screen "In The Future". I have to agree, though, about it being a pain to navigate. That site may now have more bells and whistles but I preferred it as it was.

Personally, I cannot wait for Opera. I saw this on the big screen at a UK Black Sunday horror festival (after owning a crappy VHS nth generation tape) and it was awesome. It is my favourite Argento movie - I just love the style and the substance of this film.

Steve
01-22-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur:
Guys, the site just states the release date as "late 2001." For the record, go to Coming Attractions and then click on the button at the bottom of the screen "In The Future". I have to agree, though, about it being a pain to navigate. That site may now have more bells and whistles but I preferred it as it was.

Personally, I cannot wait for Opera. I saw this on the big screen at a UK Black Sunday horror festival (after owning a crappy VHS nth generation tape) and it was awesome. It is my favourite Argento movie - I just love the style and the substance of this film.
I actually went to the same festival in fact I went to nearly everyone. It is just a shame that David Michael Bryan decided to stop doing the festivals.