PDA

View Full Version : McChrist reviews ICE FROM THE SUN (1999)

mcchrist
08-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Dir. by Eric Stanze
Starring: who cares.

The film opens with acts of strangulation and attempted murder, to be thwarted by a bald-headed man with a loud booming voice. His very word can destroy you, in countless ways. The first act delivers a decent set-up. there are basically two things at work here, one you have a group of friends doing coke and discussing what they love and hate, allowing for some character development to take place. Intertwined with this are visions of a woman who has slit her wrists, lying dead in a bathtub filled with her own blood. Although dead, she is greeted by an angelic figure that speaks to her how the angels of heaven and the devils in hell are angered by an evil sorcerer, Abraham, who dwells in an impenetrable realm. He sustains himself and his powers by periodically torturing and brutalizing victims from the living world. The walls of this realm are impenetrable even to the angels and devils, so they enlist this young woman in the task of assassinating this bastard...

Whew! Do not worry, the author has not given away much here. Except be warned that the interaction between angel and woman (with the other fluff, of course) are compromised by basically two or three shots repeated over and over again... Oh, and this continues for the first forty minutes of the film... The second act we start getting into the "good" stuff as people are being slaughtered in various ways, from having a shovel to the face or being drug by a pick-up truck then having salt thrown on your mangled and torn body...

The author must apologize, I am a fan and supporter of low-budget/underground filmmaking, but this was pretentious MTV wannabe bullshit. Seriously, it looks like the end product from someone who thinks that the music videos of Tool and Marilyn Manson are the pinnacles of edgey filmmaking. This is one of the most contrived pieces-of-shit to come out of the underground market, usually I reserve criticism like this for Hollywood blockbusters and the like, but these people should know better. All the positive praise on the Internet makes me want to believe that the independent industry is doomed to failure, they should know better. Oh yeah, it's violent as hell, and it attempts to be as disturbing as possible, but I've stated it before that style can easily kill a film. Here we have someone passing off every sub-culture bootleg concert technique and passing it off as originality. To best sum it up, I'll bring up a big-budget piece of garbage from our very recent past, House of 1000 Corpses. House was interspersed with a series of cut-aways that involved alot of grainy footage and shakey camera work, trying to add some sort of cool mojo to an overblown failure. Well, if you were to take a single one of those cutaways and extend it to two hours... Well hell, maybe you like that sort of thing. This movie has two things going for it; decent-looking gore for the budget and a really fucking cool title (but unfortunately, that's ruined too)

The trailer for this film is equally ridiculous. It declares that "THIS FILM HATES YOUR GOD, THIS FILM HATES YOUR FAMILY, THIS FILM HATES YOUR RELIGION, THIS FILM HATES YOU." And all I can think of is I can really give a rat's ass, this movie made me feel retarded just watching it.

This is the kind of film that had a good concept on paper, and it should have stayed there. I could see a novel of this being quite a masterpiece of dark fantasy, but as a film... This was tripe.

-M.

Atmims
08-01-2003, 05:59 AM
You pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly mcchrist. Ice from the Sun is a horrible and BORING "movie". Its overly "arty" and has no reason to be. I imagine some snob wearing all black with a turtleneck shirt, sipping on a cup of coffee, yakking about how "brilliant" Ice from the Sun was. :bs:

mcchrist
08-02-2003, 02:09 AM
Well, obviously I disagree with you Chris, but I would also like to point out that there is a decent movie buried in there. But in all honesty, you'd have to strip 75% of the film away to get to it.

mcchrist
08-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Well, there you go then.

mcchrist
08-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Last year, a group had aged a photo of Michael Jackson from when he was a kid to see what he should look like today... That's the result :D