PDA

View Full Version : THE CHANGELING-a review by Ryan Burgos

r_burgos2003
08-03-2003, 02:06 AM
It's the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's become a classic chiller that no collection should do without. It's THE CHANGELING.

While on vacation in upstate New York with his wife Joanna and daughter Kathy, music composer John Russell's car breaks down and the group is forced to tug their car through the snow to a pay phone. While John makes a call, his wife and daughter decide to have a snowball fight. Suddenly, a mack truck rips through the icey landscape and directly into the two, killing them instantly.

A little while later, John decides he must move out of his house due to many memories that make him depressed beyond belief. With the help of Claire Norman, a worker at the local historical society, he finds an old mansion to rent out and continue to compose.

Then things get frightening. Each day, very early, there is a sound of pipes clanking throught the house. He tries to compose but finds it hard still. Then, he starts to play a song. A lullaby. He plays it seemingly perfectly. When he exits the room, a key is struck on the piano-but no one is in there. Things get out of hand when John sees a vision of a little boy drowning in a bathtub.

While about to take a walk outside, John is startled by a rock thrown out of a window of the attic. A room that he had no idea about. He goes up there to find a bunch of stuff. Including a music box. The music box plays the same lullaby that he played days earlier.

He and Claire decide that maybe a medium could come to the house and see what's what. Then they find out what exactly is in the house and how to stop it....

RECCOMENDED TO FANS OF:
The Haunting (1960)
The Innocents (1963)
The Amityville Horror (1979)

CAST
George C. Scott..........John Russell
Trish Van Devere........Claire Norman
Melvyn Douglas..........Sen. Joseph 'Joe' Carmichel

THE MOVIE: 4/4

THE PICTURE QUALITY: 9.5/10: This classic movie is presented in 1.77:1 Letterbox and is enhanced for 16X9 TVs. Some very few specs, but basically unnoticable.

THE AUDIO QUALITY: 8/10: Presented in Dolby Digital Surround, 2.0. It's seemingly perfect for my tv's sound system.

THE SPECIAL FEATURE: is a very extensive cast & crew filmography sheet. Very well made. Though, I would have liked to have seen the trailer or listened to the commentary available on the Region 2 edition.

SUBTITLES: English, Spanish and French.

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/15098h.jpg
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/15098bh.jpg

studio1
08-04-2003, 12:51 PM
I remember watching this on my own years ago with the lights out - Frightened the crap out of me, suffice to say I got up and switched the lights on (what a wussy):D

Tremendous film - George C.Scott is always a joy to watch, He rocked in the Exorcist 3.

S1

Maupin
08-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Has anyone heard the region 2 commentary? Is it worth repurchasing the DVD for? (Assuming that The Changeling is my second favorite horror film - only The Haunting is better.) I take it that the commentary is Peter Medak? Looking on Amazon.co.uk didn't give me any information.

George C. Scott does indeed rock, but the film he rocked the most was Patton. Get the DVD. It's not horror but I dare say anyone on this board will enjoy it.

r_burgos2003
08-04-2003, 04:28 PM
I have not heard the commentary. I wish I did, since this is a great movie, IMO. The commentary is with Medak. Did you know he directed my favorite TALES FROM THE CRYPT episode? It's called "The New Arrival" with the little lady from Poltergeist. The r2 dvd indeed has the commentary.

studio1
08-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Maupin, allready have Patton mate - one of my all time faves.

Still got my worn out LD of it - Like I say I'm a big Scott fan.

Gonna double dip and grab the R2 version of the Changeling just for the commentary, I bought the R1 version last year on Holiday.

Now if they would only bring out The Innocents on Dvd.....

S1

Midnight Buddha
08-05-2003, 07:39 PM
I`ve listened to bits of the commentary, but not enough to give a verdict.

You can get the reg 2 dvd here for $10

That`s what i paid.

studio1
08-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Where m8???

S1

r_burgos2003
08-05-2003, 09:33 PM
well....did anyone like my review?

Midnight Buddha
08-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by studio1
Where m8???

S1

I got my copy at play.com for 5.99, it`s still at that price at the moment.

Not sure where you live but play don`t ship to the states, i`ll search about for ya

r_burgos2003
08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I know Chris....just figured that out....well I guess that's because I've liked every movie I've ever seen so it would be almost pointless for me to review it in that way.

r_burgos2003
08-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Sorry...I'll do better next time

r_burgos2003
08-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind! ;)

studio1
08-07-2003, 05:16 PM
I got my copy at play.com for 5.99, it`s still at that price at the moment.

Thanks a lot mate -I'm there:D:D

I'm in the UK by the way.

S1

Midnight Buddha
08-08-2003, 02:15 AM
No problem, also check out the other dvds at that price, i got Cat`s Eye, They Live, and Prince Of Darkness. :banana:

_pi_
08-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Just because I'm trying to get rid of it, I have to mention that I have The Changeling with Medak's commentary (haven't listened to it though ...) and if anyone can trade me something nice for it, it's theirs ... but they have to hurry because otherwise I'm going to sell it tomorrow!

Disco Stu
08-08-2003, 03:30 AM
What I want to know is, what are the shipping costs from Canada to Iceland? If you guys go through with the trade, please publish the info.

studio1
08-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Midnight Buddha , just ordered Prince of Darkness, Cats Eye and They Live and Starman for 25:banana:
Those are excellent prices!!!!

S1

_pi_
08-08-2003, 01:53 PM
I sent two dvds from here to canada last week - it cost me ca. 1000 kr which is something little above 10 $

Chris - I'd trade you The Changeling for The Fog ...

Midnight Buddha
08-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Midnight Buddha , just ordered Prince of Darkness, Cats Eye and They Live and Starman for 25:banana:
Those are excellent prices!!!!

S1

Yeah great prices indeed, i buy 99% of my dvds from play and i bet you will too now. :)

studio1
08-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Damn right mate - I mean some places are still selling those movies for the full RRP:(

I used to shop at CD-Wow but started getting stung by the customs, I will certainly be shopping at Play for my Dvd's again.

I still shop at LVS for the new R1 releases as they are really fast, next day delivery, and always get the new releases about a few weeks before street date.

But thanks again for putting me on to Play.com - I'm gonna be even more skint now:)

S1

Midnight Buddha
08-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Damn right mate - I mean some places are still selling those movies for the full RRP:(

I used to shop at CD-Wow but started getting stung by the customs, I will certainly be shopping at Play for my Dvd's again.

I still shop at LVS for the new R1 releases as they are really fast, next day delivery, and always get the new releases about a few weeks before street date.

But thanks again for putting me on to Play.com - I'm gonna be even more skint now:)

S1

Yeah it`s really only 99% of reg 2 dvds i meant to say. Try a canadian website www.dvdsoon.com, they have a free worldwide shipping offer on at the moment, i just received Final Destination 2 yesterday from their and it only cost me just over a tenner all in, and it only took around five days to arrive.

Hey am i keeping this thread going or what. :lol:

studio1
08-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Cheers mate - the more dvd links the better.

Hey am i keeping this thread going or what?

Hell yeah:D

S1

r_burgos2003
08-11-2003, 02:21 AM
Don't forget the creator! hehe. :D Just kidding mates

studio1
08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Don't forget the creator! hehe

Would we do that..hehehh

Glad to see this movie getting some recognition - Just recieved my R2 dvd of it - my daughter watched it and has allready ordered herself a copy.

Frightened the crap out of her and her friends - this was the girl who said nothing would scare her:lol: :lol:

S1

r_burgos2003
08-11-2003, 03:04 PM
This movie is the scariest I've ever seen :D

SilentScreams
08-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Thanks to R_Burgos2003!
I had The Changeling for a long time but was just too busy to watch so it sat on my shelf for a few years. After this review I was interested again and I watched it. It is one of the best ghost films around. It is one of my new favorites. Now I have another great ghost flick to watch besides The Amityville Horror and Poltergeist. Thanks!

r_burgos2003
08-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Your welcome! It really is a great movie.