PDA

View Full Version : Dreams and Eurohorror

Sortilege
01-25-2001, 04:49 AM
HI...this is my first post here...just wanted to know what you guys/gals thought about the prominence of dream imagery, logic, and style in euro-horror films...from the beginning of terror films (Nosferatu for example), the best ones IMHO are the ones that embrace this dream style....examples: Virgin among the living dead (original cut), Daughters of Darkness, Suspiria, Inferno, Demons, Nosferatu (both 1922 and 1979), most of Rollins films, etc....any thoughts?

------------------
There can be no light without the dark

Jason25
01-25-2001, 06:08 AM
Welcome Sortilege. Very good topic for discussion. I've always thought that Euro Horror films were very stylish, from Bava, to Argento, to Fulci, and many others. These films have a certain atmosphere to them that I find very appealing and thought provoking.

The films you named all are good examples of this, and I think you could look at any of the films of the top Euro Horror directors and find many more examples.

gusse
01-25-2001, 09:34 AM
Interesting topic!

Personaly I really enjoy that 'surreal' and 'dreamlike' feeling thats often to be found in euro-horror. I think that those 'nightmareish qualities' can be very moody if handeled in a proper way!

Take Argento's Inferno for instance.

I had seen the movie 2-3 times, and always liked it (I'm a big Argento-freak) but never really 'understood' it if you know what i meen. Always fellt that I 'must have missed something'!?!?! ...then, one day I was home sick from work. I had a fever and was feeling generaly dizzy, and I put Inferno on... And guess what? Suddenly it all seemed so damn right!

I have no idea if that's the way Dario intended the movie to be interpreted - but it really seemed to fit to me. All those beutiful surreal colours, the actors almost floating through the sets. The somewhat odd pacing. The music. EVERYTHING seemed to fit right in to place that night! It's all like a feverish dream!

any way... that was a little anecdote about the dreamlike mentality of Euro-Horro. And now i probably should stop rambling before my boss sees me (writing this at work) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

PS. DellaMore DellaMorte is a nother nice example of a beutiful 'surreal' eurohorror movie if you ask me!

Sortilege
01-26-2001, 05:36 AM
Dario used to come up with scenes for his films by writing down his dreams from the night before....as did Luis Bunuel...

Euro horror films are more emotional than their american counterparts....Argento uses the reds, blues, greens to tap into the audiences emotional registers....you feel eurohorror more than you think about it

Female Vampire is a good example of this...on the surface the film is a mishmash of images (some out of focus) of Lina Romay having sex with men and women...but when in the right frame of mind...the film is one of extreme loneliness and a surreal feeling of sadness overtakes the watcher...

------------------
There can be no light without the dark