PDA

View Full Version : Fritz Lang's "M" Due for a deluxe 2disc DVD edition this October!

gusse
08-05-2003, 09:27 PM
I recently got the urge to see Fritz Lang's "M", it's one of those movies that I have always wanted to see but never came around to pick it up. I knew that Criterion had released a DVD of the movie so i persumed it's bound to be te definite version - but after reading a few reviews of the disc it seemed I was wrong. Apparently the video quality on the DVD if below par and there are no extras. There is a German DVD out that is suposed to be much better, but it hasnt got any english subtitles... Things looked bad.. BUT!

I happened to run across news of a new DVD edition thats on the way in the UK. It's being released October 6 by EurekaVideo and judging by the specifications it looks like this one will be a winner!

Disc One - (with fully animated menus)

"M" - Feature: German with English Subtitle Selection
Full length Audio Commentary
Digital Restoration Documentary - Peter Campbell

Disc Two - (with fully animated menus)

Audio interview: Peter Bogdanovich with Fritz Lang
Fritz Lang" Documentary
"Lending Order to Horror" Visual Essay by R.Dixon Smith
Film Restoration and Comparison - Martin Koerber and Torsten Kaiser
Photo Gallery with animated slideshow .
Posters, Theatrical Programs . . .
Set Designs and final Screen comparisons
Animated Biographies, Historical backgrounds . .

Hope this one will turn out to have as good an audio/video presentation (or better :banana: ) as the german version, then this will be the definite one!

maybrick
08-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Any word on whether the alternate ending will be included as an extra? I've always wanted to see it.

Deaddevilman
08-07-2003, 08:47 AM
This is a great film. The last time I saw this I have to say the quality was really bad. I'll pick it up only if they have cleaned up the print.

Jeffrey Dahmer
08-09-2003, 03:32 AM
This is very good news. The recorded VHS I have of this movie start to be rusty. It will be a necessary switch to the new medium. I always forget this movie when I make my top 10, but it's definitely among my top 20 favorite movie of all time.

Numania
08-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Nice. This movie is fantastic.

RyanPC
08-24-2003, 11:08 PM
I rented a cruddy VHS of this film and didn't like it. I just don't see why everyone thinks it's so great. Maybe if the VHS had been better quality, but I just don't see myself liking it anymore than what I did.

studio1
08-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up Gusse, October 6th cannot come quick enough for me - this movie Rocks.

S1

Jimbo
12-20-2004, 08:16 PM
I just picked up the new 2 disk today.Cant wait to dip into it at some point this week.

dwatts
12-21-2004, 05:55 AM
The two disc Criterion was on Best Buy for 28 and change. I was tempted, but man I've bought a lot of movies lately.

Lyle Horowitz
12-23-2004, 04:30 AM
The two disc Criterion was on Best Buy for 28 and change. I was tempted, but man I've bought a lot of movies lately.
Go for it. Good price, incredible film, and apparently, a bang-up resoration job. I'm happy with the Eureka DVD, though.

mutleyhyde
12-23-2004, 05:26 AM
The Best Buy sale unfortunately ended on the 18th. :( I almost picked it up, but I had too much to buy for other folks. Ah well, eventually.

The Chaostar
12-23-2004, 11:59 AM
The Criterion DVD is incredible.
The booklet, the interview, the documentaries are very very very good but the quality of the picture itself is amazing. Unbelievable.
As for the film itself, it is a masterpiece. I don't think that Cinema has REALLY developed after all these years. You see Peter Lore in M and then you see Golum and it's like, ok the CGI is cool but where is the real difference?

The Chaostar
12-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Oh, and it is region free.

maybrick
12-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Still no word on the inclusion of the alternate ending as an extra?