PDA

View Full Version : BattLe RoYaLe ReVieW

DeathDealer
08-06-2003, 07:43 AM
http://www.dvdasian.com/images/6/14535.3.jpg

The review for Battle Royale. (SPOILERS)

Storyline is farily simple. The goverment send 40 students to a desterted island and they have to kill each other, the last one standing gets to leave the island and go home. Simple as that.

There literally is nothing bad in this film. I had high expections on this film. I researched this film for seven months, so you can see my expections were pretty high. Not one bit was it let down. There are just scenes in their that will linger in my mind for the rest of my mortal life. One example is when, this girl shoots a boy and finds out that he liked her and just wanted to help her out. Just look at the poetic scene there. And that's just one of many throughout this Masterpeice.

If you ever talk about charcter built up, you should not forget to mention Battle Royale. This has one of the most powerful yet tragic built ups in cinema history, period. I was close to sheding tears at parts, then at other parts I was rooting a particluair person to get killed. Name me a film that at one scene your crying and the next your craving for death. This has to be one of the best Japanese films ever. Give me one stupid scene that in this film and in some way or another I'll be able to justify it.

The actors, did a very good job of keeping the emtions throughout the film. I thought that their acting was something special, and no normal actor of status would be able to pull off a job like that. Takashi Kitano, was Fantastic like in his other films. He is one of my favoitre actors, period. He has so much presence, and steals the show everytime in comes in. A very much underrated actor.

At the beginning, you see friendly kids, playing around and taking pictures and talking about who they like and who they don't. And, by the end of the film they have commited a act of murder. Some may call it unrealstic, but it's one of the best non-fiction stories out there. What are you going to do when kids are stabbing teachers and kids boycotting school and doing other insane things like that. You are left with no choice but to take serious action. Shouting is not the cure to everything, sometimes you have to be harsh when kids do not listen.

People say this film is to violent. But when you cut somone does he not bleed. When you cut someones vein blood is going to brust out like a fountain. Alot, of people think that when you cut somones vein a small amount of blood comes out. But that's where these Hollywood films lie to you. When your vein is cut, there is a high chance of dying. YES, dying.

That's what I'm not liking about Hollywood today. They trick and lie to the audience so they can get past the MPAA with a PG-13. Just look at this summer : Hulk, X2, Pirates of the Carribean, LXG, Tomb Raider 2, and the list just goes on.

I agree with what people say about this film. It would never get released in the American markets. Why you ask.....Watch the film And you'll find out. People think that it's just mad violence, but people don't see the deep and inner meaning of the film which Kinji was trying to protray. How love and friendship was torn apart so easliy, when put into the position you would kill your own friend, not out of hate, but out of surivial.

In an interview Kinji actually said that when in was in World War II, he worked at a Weapon Factory, So it would get bombed alot. Now, when the bomb would come he would put his friends in front of him to protect himself and his friends would do the same to him. Not becasue of anger or hate, but purely out of protection for himself. He would see his friends dying in front of him, he would put his best friends body on top of himself to protect himself. And, that's what you would really do. What Hollywood would do: They would do a epic hero moment and save your friend just before the bomb blows up. I highly doubt you would save your friend and risk your own life just for him.

I'm 14 years of age. Alot of kids my age get their information from movies. And when they watch these hollywood movies that lie, they get influenced and believe what they are seeing is automatcally true, which it's not. That's what get's me angry about HOLLYWOOD so much.

But Enough about Hollywood. Lets talk about the Directing.

Seriously, the directing is very powerful and yet very intriguing. I have not seen any films from Kinji Fukasaku, Battle Royale is the only one. But all I have to say is that if Takashi Miike remade Graveyard of Honor which the original was directed by Kinji Fukasaku, The guy's got talent. It's so sad that this Late Veteran went before Battle Royale II was finshed.

The Screenplay is very wise and yet very original, Something new. Which is something we need. I have not read the book to Battle Royale, but after seeing this it makes me want to run and get it. It's good to read the book of the film becasue what if there are some nice insights in the book that never made it to the film. Let's just hope the Battle Royale II screenplay is as good as the first one. I've heard alot of bad stuff about Battle Royale II. But I still have hope in Kinji and Kenta Fukasaku.

I stumbled upon something recently. It's kind of Battle Royale related. Check it out.

http://xtremesyndicate.com/pub/files/avatars-sigs/japanesesgoillslayer.gif

Overall, Close to being called the Greatest Film Of All Time. Not one single flaw in This film. It's what we like to a Modern Masterpeice.

Acting : 10
Directing : 10
Script : 10
Powerful Meaning Behind the film : 10
Overall : 11/10

BY THE_DEATHDEALER

Khanitez
08-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Wicked Review!

Nice Insight into a CLASSIC FILM!

LOVE the ANIMATION AT THE END!

Is a movie within it self!

GOOD JOB..........DeathDealer!

Congrats.

Keep the REVIEW COMING!
:)

DeathDealer
08-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Did you guys like it or Not.

Erg0n
08-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DeathDealer

I agree with what people say about this film. It would never get released in the American markets. Why you ask.....Watch the film And you'll find out. People think that it's just mad violence, but people don't see the deep and inner meaning of the film which Kinji was trying to protray. How love and friendship was torn apart so easliy, when put into the position you would kill your own friend, not out of hate, but out of surivial.

BY THE_DEATHDEALER

Actually it's not so much the violent nature of the film as it is the rights to distribute it in R1.

r_burgos2003
08-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Great review! cool animation.

An interesting note is that about 2 years ago it was on the news (FOX-5) and they showed some clips from it (the lighthouse, and the lonely girl who gets killed by that prissy bitch) and said how every company asked to distribute it, said "No." I wrote down "Battle Royale" and went on eBay the next day. Like 50 copies of it for sale. I got my 2 copies about 5 months ago.

DefJeff
08-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Deathdealer, great review.

I haven't seen this film yet, because I can't decide on which DVD version to buy.

This one that you reviewed, its the STARMAX one right? How were the subs? I heard they were awful. Hows the disc a/v wise?

Thanks!

DeathDealer
08-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I got the Starmax release from Dvdasian.com

The Quality is great. And it has no ghostly image like the Tartan Tin Release. It's Crystal Clear.

The Audio was the main reason I bought the Dvd. I heard it was good. but It's Amazing. The only Directors cut verison with DTS.

The Special Features don't really need Subtitles, most of it is just visual which is cool.

The Subtitles are no that bad as everyone makes it out to be. They are abit BOLD and a little hard to read, but in the end of the Day I knew what was going on in every scene.

I was like you. For Six Months I was reserching on the best version to get and is the Driectors Cut or Theritcal Cut better. And, at the end the Starmax wins by a long shot. A 30 dollars spent wisely.

To help you out I found this website that compares the : Starmax, Tartan Tin, and the Cream.

Here it Is : http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/battleroyale-dc.htm

Andrew
08-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Damn, I'm still having trouble deciding between the Starmax and Tartan single-disc NTSC R0 one. I'll probably just get the Starmax one for the DTS and the extended cut, because I still have the Theatrical version on tape. Hopefully when (if?) this gets released in the US someone will do us all a favor and give the option of both cuts of the film.

DeathDealer
08-14-2003, 02:20 AM
Also, another reason why it's not been released in the U.S.A is becasue Toei own the rights for the film and refuse to sell it to any American Distubor. And, plus The American Distubors won't comply with Toei's Demands.

I think it's good it's not released Here. Why should food come to you, if you want it so bad, do what all of us do. Find it yourself. If you want it bad enough you will do something one way or another to get it.

r_burgos2003
08-14-2003, 02:27 AM
I agree. I don't want "Universal" releasing it...or Miramax shoving it out before Oscar time. It's an Undiscovered gem in the united states. Let's keep it an cult flick

DefJeff
08-14-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by DeathDealer
http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/battleroyale-dc.htm

Awesome site. Thanks alot. I am definitally going to be getting that Starmax one in the near future

Grim
08-18-2003, 05:25 PM
I bought this movie at Horrorfind and absolutely loved it. I own the starmax DVD I think (the one in the tan box) It really stinks though that I can't understand a lick of the extras. Oh well, I just wanted to see the full uncut version of the movie. One thing I don't understand about the Asians is, how come all the menus are in English, and even in the movie alot of text was in English, could somebody explain why they do this?