PDA

View Full Version : DERANGED/MOTEL HELL-a review by Ryan Burgos

r_burgos2003
08-06-2003, 07:48 PM
The MGM Midnite Movies is a great addition to any horror collector's collection. This one is Deranged/Motel Hell.

DERANGED is a story about Ezra Cobb. Actually, it's based on well-known killer, Ed Gein. They call Ezra "Ez" for short which is amusing because it basically sounds like "Ed" and I think that a few of the actors said "Ed" by mistake several times. OK, so Ezra is sitting next to his dying mother when she gives up living. She was buried and every week, it's said that Ezra visits his mother's grave at least 3 times a week. The year after her death, he hears his mother's voice say "If you really loved me, you'd bring me back home...." So he does just that. He digs her up and puts her in his car and drives her home. He uses things that look like skin to try and "repair" her until he gets the idea to use human skin instead...by killing and skinning.....

It's a pre-"In the Light of the Moon" (A.K.A. "Ed Gein") flick that delivers what it promises-thin humor and frightening murders. What I didn't like was not the movie but the back cover: It seems that every real Ed Gein type of movie (Deranged, In the Light of the Moon, etc.) always has to mention it inspiring "Psycho", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "The Silence of the Lambs" (A book about Ed Gein uses the same marketing ploy)

MOTEL HELL is my favorite. Farmer Vincent owns Motel Hello (with the "O" in "Hello" usually blinking on and off) with his sister Ida. Farmer Vincent has the best smoked meats around. But the secret of the great taste isn't in the meat, it is the meat. Actually, it's human meat that they take from their victims that are buried neck deep in a secret garden behind the motel...

What's so good about MOTEL HELL is the laughter. In one scene, a kinky couple rent a room and think that Vincent and Ida are into S&M. So they get their leather on and think that Vincent and Ida are going to have some good ol sex with them...the funniest bit is when they actually tell the victims to raise their hands, so they can put the rope around them and drug them. They willingly accept.

RECCOMENDED TO FANS OF:
Ed Gein (2000)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Blood Diner (1987)

THE CAST (DERANGED)
Roberts Blossom.....Ezra Cobb
Cosette Lee............Ma Cobb
Leslie Carlson.........Tom Sims

THE CAST (MOTEL HELL)
Rory Calhoun.......Vincent Smith
Paul Linke.............Sheriff Bruce Smith
Nancy Parsons......Ida Smith

THE MOVIE (DERANGED): 3/4
THE MOVIE (MOTEL HELL): 3.5/4

THE PICTURE QUALITY (DERANGED): 7/10 Presented in the aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and has much grain to the picture.

THE PICTURE QUALITY (MOTEL HELL): 8/10 Presented in the aspect ratio of 1.85:1. A little better than DERANGED but still has some grain.

THE AUDIO QUALITY (DERANGED): 6/10 2 channel mono was a little hard to hear and a little annoying when I had to put the volume of my tv up to hear it.

THE AUDIO QUALITY (MOTEL HELL): 8/10 2 channel stereo surround with a great boost to the quality. There us also a French mono track and a Spanish stereo surround track included.

THE SPECIAL FEATURES: Both movies contain their original theatrical trailer with grain on both.

SUBTITLES: Both contain English, French and Spanish subtitles.

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/210370h.jpg
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/210370bh.jpg

Grim
08-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Nice review, I just hope you didn't base your lower rating of Deranged on what was said on the back cover (I know you probably didn't) that's why I'd like to hear more of why you lowered the rating, as I liked Deranged more than Motel Hell.

r_burgos2003
08-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Well, DERANGED didn't go into many details. It said that "nothing will be left to the imagination" but a lot was....such as the last 5 minutes of the ending. Other than that...damn good movie

Grim
08-07-2003, 05:06 AM
Yes you do have a point there. Not to mention the MGM DVD has some brain scooping missing. But I give them credit for having the cojones to release it on dvd in a nice transfer. MGM has done horror fans good.

r_burgos2003
08-07-2003, 05:16 AM
Yes, I changed the score to a 3 cause it's a good flick.