PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars LDs... which ones?

mutleyhyde
02-07-2001, 10:49 AM
Okay, here's the deal. I don't have an LD player, but I want these films letterboxed, and I can't deal with VHS, soooo - what's the best QUALITY series to get. I do not want the new scenes, and I can do without the digital remastering. I don't know the dif from cav to clv or any of that stuff, and that's why I'm asking. There are basically two series that I'm concerned with. The ealier set that had the original poster art, and the digital remasters, without the added scenes. Doesn't the old set have more discs per movie? And doesn't that make them better quality, or is the digital mastering "all that"? Is there even another series that I'm leaving out? I think what I'm asking is which format to get; cav or clv. Any input would be appreciated. I want to get these now, and I'll deal with the player later. Thanks :D .

DVD Connoisseur
02-07-2001, 12:34 PM
Mr. Hyde, I'd recommend The Definitive Collection. It's CAV so the quality is excellent (although the soundtack to A New Hope is a little noisy due to the way it was recorded), is spread across 9 discs and comes with a hardback book on Lucas. The box set has audio commentaries for key scenes and is, all in all, probably the best version of the original trilogy you'll find (i.e. no new CGI sequences).

A word of warning, though. The original batch had a small scene missing from Empire (with Leia working on the Falcon with her torch). I believe the scene should be at the start of side 3.

Paff
02-07-2001, 04:28 PM
It actually depends on how much you want to spend. The Definitive Collection IS good, but expect to drop over $100 on it. Secondly, this title has been known to develop laser rot. And finally, the discs are CAV, which does give more quality, but also means flipping the disc side every 30 minutes and changing the disc every hour.

If you're a Star Wars fan, but not an obsessive one, seek out what are commonly called the "CLV THX Remastereds". These have new art on the cover. I think Darth Vader is on Star Wars, a stormtrooper on Empire, and Yoda on Jedi. These ARE the original cuts, not the SEs. Sound is absolutely fantastic. And best of all, you can still find them FACTORY SEALED for $10 each. I just spun Empire the other night. Fabulous.

There's very little extras on these discs, so if you're a huge Star Wars fan you might want to hold out for The Definitive Collection. But if you just want the movies, done right and sounding great, get the THX Remasters.

DVD Connoisseur
02-07-2001, 07:42 PM
Paff, how can one (presuming it's possible to) avoid the dreaded laser rot? The idea of my LD collection rotting fills me with dread. The Definitive Collection cost me around 230 (or $345 aprox.). I dread to think how much money I invested in my collection.... :eek:

Paff
02-07-2001, 07:54 PM
Well, the GOOD news about laser rot is that it usually develops within 2-3 years of pressing. Since most LDs are well over 3 years old now, if your discs aren't rotted now, they probably never will be.

I've heard that humidity and moisture can accelerate rot. It's pretty dry in England, isn't it? :D

The most notorious rotters were disc pressed by DADC Sony, usually for the Columbia/Tri-Star label. However, if the same disc was pressed by Sony AUSTRIA, it's fine. I won't buy a Columbia/Tri-Star disc unless I KNOW it's the Austrian pressing plant.

The only other thing about rot, is that the better player you have, the MORE likely you'll detect rotted discs, since they're so much more precise. As much as I loved getting my 704, I was seriously dismayed when I scanned some old favorite discs and suddenly noticed rot.

mutleyhyde
02-08-2001, 12:48 AM
So Paff, lets say I'm cool with tempting the laser rot issue, but I read over at the IMDb that the Definitive Edition had a "rolling bar" issue. They only mentioned it in the listing, referring to some article that I couldn't track down. Any idea what they're talking about? Also, I don't mind flipping discs, but is CAV so much better that it makes a substantial difference? I guess I really just need to see the difference for myself, huh? Great, now I just have to buy both sets! :rolleyes:

Paff
02-08-2001, 03:27 AM
In my experience, no. I don't find CAV to be better at all. As far as I can tell, the only advantage to it is that you can do all the special effects like single frame freeze, slow motion, etc. I've even heard that CAV is more succeptible to crosstalk.

My suggestion is to buy the CLV THX versions. Look around, and you should be able to buy all 3 brand new for around $30. The Definitive Collection you're probably gonna have to buy used via the E-bay route. And after watching the CLV versions, you may not even feel the need for the Definitive Collection. I don't.

mutleyhyde
02-08-2001, 04:13 AM
Cool, so what I hear you saying is that CAV is more for options than visual clarity. In that case, yeah, I'll definitely go with the CLV THX ones. Thanks.

Paff
02-08-2001, 04:30 PM
Here's a link for buying the original trilogy:
http://www.pioneerdirect.com/productdetail.asp?category=Default&item=S67269

These are beginning to get hard to find. I'd move pretty soon on them.