PDA

View Full Version : House Of 1000 Corpses

DVD Zombie
08-08-2003, 10:48 AM
There was an enormous amount of expectations placed on this flick when it hit theaters. The story of the film's long journey has been well publicized, and doesn't need to be recounted here. Of course, over that length of time, hype is bound to get out of hand, and many were ultimately disappointed when it finally unspooled last April. I wasn't one of 'em. I loved it.

The story is nothing new. Stranded motorists meet their untimely deaths at the hands of a family of freaks. What sets the film apart is the manner in which it's presented. Rob Zombie uses a ton of different film stocks and digital video, numerous filters, and a fast cutting style throughout. This gives it a feel that is not unlike most of his music videos. His signature style is on every frame. If this isn't your cup of tea, then most likely, you won't enjoy the movie. Now, technique alone does not a movie make. Thankfully, we also get a group of the most freakishly wonderful villains that I've seen in a long, long time. My only complaint is that none of them really get as much screen time as they deserve, but it is an effective ensemble.

A sore spot with many of us genre fans is the fact that the DVD contains the same cut released to theaters. Personally, I thought there was a good amount of gore, even in this MPAA sanctioned version. Not every film has to be Dead Alive. Rob Zombie has mentioned that there is more to see, but also that he's been too busy to recut the flick. Hopefully we'll see another cut in the future, but it doesn't exist yet, so I can't fault them for not including it. Some folks may opt to wait for a future release, but they'll be missing out on a great disc here.

The anamorphic widescreen transfer is amazing. Colors stand out, blacks are black, and the bitrate hovers as almost high as any of the 'Superbit' titles that I have seen. A nice 5.1 surround mix uses all of the speakers, with the music standing out really well. There's also a music only track (in 2.0 stereo), but I've always found those pretty useless. If you like 'em, though, it's here and sounds good. Also included is an entertaining commentary track with Rob Zombie. It's one of the better commentaries that I've heard recently, with all kinds of fun info on the movie. There are the obligatory trailers and a WAY above average still gallery. Not just your average screen grabs, but some real behind the scenes shots, and each one has a caption. The rest of the features can be described as a feast of scraps. Clocking in at only a few minutes each are a featurette, auditions, rehearsals, a few interviews, and some cast tomfoolery called 'Tiny Fucked A Stump'. If you liked the movie, then these will all warrant a glance, although I can't see myself revisiting them all that often. That's pretty much the case with any supplements, though. Also of note are the stellar menu screens. Zombie brought in Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, and Sheri Moon to get back into character and film a large amount of footage for these. When you first put in the disc, you have to 'ring the bell' on Captain Spaulding's counter. He comes out and talks until you select an option. Bill Moseley's Otis is on the scene selection page, and Sheri Moon is present on the special features page. Eventually they loop, but there is a surprising amount of material, more than any motion menus I've seen to date.

Overall, it's a stunning presentation of a great flick. Even if you want to wait for an uncut release, you should give it a rent and check it out.

~Zombie (no relation :D )

Zodiac-Mindwarp
08-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Nice DVD review DVD Zombie.

I am planning on renting this next Tuesday and then deciding weather or not to pick up the disc. Most likely it will be a purchase, but with all of the conflicting reviews I will feel better giving it a watch first. Besides, I work at a video store and I will get to rent it for free. :D

r_burgos2003
08-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Very nice. I entered myself in the contest to win one.

Dunwich
08-08-2003, 09:42 PM
wich contest? where can I participate? ;)

Grim
08-09-2003, 01:59 AM
I heard a rumor that the uncut DVD will be released sometime in October, it's probably 99.999% phony though.

Latency
08-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Woohoo! Today is the day! Then a week from today will be the day again!

indiephantom
08-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Latency
Woohoo! Today is the day! Then a week from today will be the day again!

You mean LOTR:TTT right? :banana:

r_burgos2003
08-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Oh what contest? Well...I didn't want to tell anyone cause that would ruin my chances of winning but http://www.dvdreview.com
OR for better chances go to http://www.thisisablankwebpageanditmakesnosense.iwanttowi nthedvdofhouseofonethousandcorpsesandbehappyimsure thattheyusealotofsprayintherebecauseicantseemyself sleepinginasmellyhouse.com

RyanPC
08-12-2003, 11:40 PM
I think it said the contest deadline was July 30th, but fuck it I entered anyway. :D

r_burgos2003
08-12-2003, 11:44 PM
damnit.......and it's not july 30th since the winners haven't been announced yet....

RyanPC
08-13-2003, 07:52 AM
I dunno... I gave in and bought this earlier and watched it.

I thought it was great-- certainly one of the best horror films in years. It was scary and refreshing (and funny as hell), but then again, I liked Scream. ;)

I thought the DVD was wonderful, too. I was fortunate to get one at Wal-Mart with the clear keepcase (they didn't have any tri-folds) so mine didn't rip. :p The extras are great and I agree about the menus, they are pretty cool... even though if you leave them on for minutes on end they get pretty annoying. I especially love the one for the main menu one, it is pretty long but keep watching and you won't regret it as it is fucking hilarious. I'm glad I got this film for my collection (Wal-Mart didn't have a widescreen version of Bringing Down the House, dammit! :D).

Caesar
08-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Wow, you got it at Wal-Mart? I didn't even bother checking there because I figured they wouldn't carry it . . . cool, I'll have to check there. :)

RyanPC
08-13-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Wow, you got it at Wal-Mart? I didn't even bother checking there because I figured they wouldn't carry it . . . cool, I'll have to check there. :)

Yup, I did! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

onebyone
08-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Nice level headed review; thanks a lot. I am looking forward to the arrival of my disc so it is nice to hear good things about it, although I know I will inevitably end up buying the uncut disc down the line.

Parasite4202
08-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Rob Zombie is cool, but this movie blows:fuck:

H0MOSareGAY
08-23-2003, 10:42 AM
yes! I finally got a new 24 inch T.V. Now I can watch widescreen without the picture being so fucking small.
This movie was good, but what all the people in the pit at the end? where the fuck did they get all those people and what were they doing there? And was the clown guy part of that family, or did that guy just sneak into the back of his car? I was left with so many questions at the end of this movie that I kinda want them to make a sequel... I LOVED the visual effects and the "home movie" sequences though... Not really that much like texas chainsaw massacre... I am gonna say fuck a few more times because I like to... FUCK FUCK FUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!! alright good, I am in a really really good mood right now, it's like one in the morning and I'm loaded on caffine and... ummm... well you don't really need to know exactly what I'm loaded on, we will just say caffine for now because that sounds nice and legal... I like typing... okay, I am gonna watch the omen now!

Agent Z
08-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by H0MOSareGAY
yes! I finally got a new 24 inch T.V. Now I can watch widescreen without the picture being so fucking small.

:eek2:

Easter Eggs: (courtesy of www.dvdeastereggs.com)

"Easter Egg

3 Eggs/Trailers

Access The Egg

1) The first of 3 eggs can be found by hilighting the Lion's Gate logo on the Main Menu, once highlighted, press right arrow and you'll be taken to a green room shot of Otis, Baby, & Captain Spaulding.

2) The second egg can be found by going to the Special Features Menu and highlighting "Tiny Fucked A Stump" and press left arrow, again you'll be taken to a green room shot of Otis, Baby, & Captain Spaulding.

3) The third egg can be found by going to the Scene Selection Menu and highlighting 9-12 and press enter. Once there hit the right arrow 3 times and once again you'll be brought to a green roon scene of guess who? Otis, Baby, & Captain Spaulding. Good Stuff!!!

4) From the main menu, arrow up until "Lions Gate Films" shows up underneath the last item on the list (House of 1000 Corpses). The trailers are for the movies Cabin Fever, May, and Godsend. As a side note, most of the menus run long while the characters insult you until you pick an option. It's pretty funny. - minders@geeksanon.ca "

Latency
08-26-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by indiephantom
You mean LOTR:TTT right? :banana:

LoL, that too. But what I was referring to was Day of the Dead. What a fantastic disc and film.

Eddie Quist
08-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Great reveiw Zombie. I thought HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES kicked ass. I think it has major cult potential once the bad buzz dies down. Just remember that THE THING and DAY OF THE DEAD got shit on too when they were released.

H0MOSareGAY
08-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Parasite4202
Rob Zombie is cool, but this movie blows:fuck:
I will have to say the exact opposite. Although I don't really thing Robs Zombie blows so much, I don't like his music, or his overdone style in music and image. The big BUT here is that I love this same style when put into a movie, and I was glad he didn't have us listen to much of his crap-rock during the movie. I actually thought the music picked out for the movie was very fitting and added a lot. I loved the "I'll remember you" scene, absolute genius there.

bslayer619
09-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Damn okay throughout the years Rob Zombie has changed his type of music. From White Zombie to Rob Zombie( I love White Zombie much better thats just my opinion though. And would rather spend more money on Cradle of Filth or Marilyn Manson anyday.) Anyways I loved House of a 1000 Corpses. One of the best movies in horror I've seen in a long time. Not always original in images but who fucking cares at least it has nobodies and the movie is creepy so...there goes my little scratch of criticism. I hope the sequel will be better yet we'll see.

onebyone
09-15-2003, 01:35 PM
OOH, thanks for the Easter Eggs Mission. I didn't know about them and am pretty happy to have more to enjoy from this kick ass dvd. :banana:

Deaddevilman
09-24-2003, 12:46 PM
I finally got around to watching this earlier tonight and I guess it was okay at best. Maybe this would have been better as a 30 minute episode. I really didn't get what Zombie was trying to accomplish other then trying to remake TCM. I enjoyed the Captain Spaulding character and think that he deserves his own show on cable. I was not at all thrilled with Karen's Black cleavage, maybe 30 years ago, but not now. It certainly did not scare me at any point.

Andrew
09-25-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Deaddevilman
I was not at all thrilled with Karen's Black cleavage, maybe 30 years ago, but not now. It certainly did not scare me at any point. Her breasts scared me far more than anything else in the film.

rhett
09-25-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
Her breasts scared me far more than anything else in the film. Amen to that Andy...what happened to her. She used to be so hot in EASY RIDER and FIVE EASY PIECES. She is honestly scarier than any of Zombie's set pieces in that movie, and just think, that is WITH make-up. :nervous:

HillsHaveEyes13
09-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Age is what happened to her.

Grim
09-25-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by HillsHaveEyes13
Age is what happened to her.

Yeah seriously. She's like 60. But thats funny you all should say that. My friend thought she was a "milf." We made fun of him for weeks.

Andrew
09-25-2003, 10:40 PM
She looks remarkably like a hillbilly version of Stiffler's mom, no doubt at all. That's the first thing I though.

However, after watching BURNT OFFERINGS which is from back in the day, I still don't think she was ever easy on the eyes.

Rock
10-03-2003, 05:35 PM
More cliches, more dumb cops, more broken down cars, more stupid teens, and more references to other, better movies...BUT an extremely convincing atmosphere of depravity and violence and evil that left me shaken and enraged, especially with the ending that lets the heroine get caught and leaves the evildoers virtually unscathed...I believe this is why the movie was not a bigger hit than it was...any sequel that provides come-uppance is too little, too late...

Demon
10-04-2003, 08:14 AM
I have to say when I saw this in the theaters I was more than a little upset by it, I mean I can't really tell you what I liked, I guess the opening scene was ok, but after that it just fell apart.........I give it 1 oot of 5 stars, stick to your day job Senor Zombie.