PDA

View Full Version : Did I get a good deal?

Demon
02-13-2001, 02:57 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1212317811&ed=981832660

I won this auction for a LD player (my first) the guy says the player works fine and it still has the remote, any thoughts?? can you guys tell what model it is by the picture?

Thanks

Paff
02-13-2001, 03:51 AM
Laserdisc expert? Me?

Well, that's the Pioneer CLD-S201. The "S" means it's a single sided player. If you don't plan on watching a lot of LDs, you might be OK. But I wouldn't touch a player if it didn't play both sides. That's me though.

Still, it's a Pioneer, and a later model, so it should do an adequate job. If you really want to go hard into Laserdisc though, start looking for a 2-sided player.

Demon
02-13-2001, 05:21 AM
well I'm just starting with a cheap player right now and if I enjoy laser discs enough then I'll buy a newer model for sure.

With the double sided players, how long does it usually take for the other side to start?? I'm sure it isn't as fast as the layer switch with dvds.

Let me know & Thanks for the info

Paff
02-13-2001, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Demon:
With the double sided players, how long does it usually take for the other side to start?? I'm sure it isn't as fast as the layer switch with dvds.

Usually around 8-10 seconds, depending on the player.

Demon
02-14-2001, 02:05 PM
aight thanks man, also just wondering cause I have a 16:9 ratio tv, if the widescreen lds are enhanced for them??

BTW I picked all these up in a lot on Ebay:

The Changeling
The Fog
F13 4 final Chapter
Children of the Corn
Happy birthday To Me
My Bloody Valentine
Ghost Stories
Amityville Horror
Amityville 2
& Phantasm

for a total of $27.50 shipped, not too shabby bygod.

Demon
02-14-2001, 10:35 PM
Cool beans!!

I'll be on the lookout for all those listed Paff, I know for sure I want the Halloween Criterion!

Also I'll let you guys know which ones I got for sure when they come in.

Thanks.

Paff
02-14-2001, 11:15 PM
Hey Demon...I just looked up those discs you bought. Those are REALLY old pressings, man. Sure, the price isn't bad, but I'll just say in advance to not judge the format based on those discs. They'll probably be about the same quality (or less!) than VHS versions. I was wondering how you could snag all those for that price, but as soon as I saw the picture of all of them, it all made sense.

Demon
02-15-2001, 12:26 AM
oh well, at least I got a few movies I didn't have on VHS anyway so, it shouldn't be that bad, certainly worth the price to me at least.

But I bought a couple new LD's from DVDPlanet the other day so I'll judge the quality on those.... not really horror but 2 movies I kinda enjoyed in Maverick & Silent Fall.

Seeya.

laserdogg
02-15-2001, 03:42 AM
Free Willy and The Fugitive were released anamorphic on LD. There were several others. I believe these discs were made available to purchasers of Toshiba WS TV's in the mid 90's

I have an RCA LD 600 with a button labeled 16x9, though I couldn't tell you a thing about it.

Paff
02-15-2001, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Demon:
aight thanks man, also just wondering cause I have a 16:9 ratio tv, if the widescreen lds are enhanced for them??

BTW I picked all these up in a lot on Ebay:

The Changeling
The Fog
F13 4 final Chapter
Children of the Corn
Happy birthday To Me
My Bloody Valentine
Ghost Stories
Amityville Horror
Amityville 2
& Phantasm

for a total of $27.50 shipped, not too shabby bygod.

First of all, there's no anamorphic 16X9 enhanced laserdiscs. Well, I've heard there's one or two out there, so I'm not completely sure about that. But since there's no 16X9 setting on a LD player, I'm not sure it matters anyway.

As far as the discs go, there's a few gems, and a few potential gems in there.

Happy Birthday to Me and My Bloody Valentine are the big scores, since neither are out on DVD. MBV is cut though. But as long as the discs aren't rotted, they're better than VHS, that's for sure.

If you have the Special Edition of The Fog, that's worth the price of the entire lot.

And Phantasm is a good find as well. If it's the special edition, it's basically the same content as the DVD. But I like the gatefold cover a lot more. If it's the old regular version, the transfer ain't that great, but I really like the cover art on the front of it as well.

As a horror fan, the discs you should be seeking out include:
Halloween (Criterion CAV version)
Frighteners Box Set
Suspiria
The Howling
Heavenly Creatures
Escape from New York
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Elite)
Dawn of the Dead (Box Set)
Night of the Living Dead (2-disc edition).

Of course, there's tons more, that's just a good jumping off point

Demon
03-10-2001, 12:00 AM
I finally got those lds in, and although a couple of the sleeves were pretty warn all of the discs were in prestine condition, its true all are old pressings, however I just let "My Bloody Valentine" play in the player and it looks REALLY good for an old ld.

Just thought I'd pass out the news, also getting in Dead Alive uncut version & Day of the Dead SE soon.

Asta

Dave
03-10-2001, 01:39 PM
My Bloody Valentine is on my "to buy" list too. Also, Silent Night Deadly Night!

Long live LD, baby!

Demon
03-11-2001, 01:02 AM
Indeed, wondering where that Monster Squad ld review is though?