PDA

View Full Version : APRIL FOOL'S DAY-a review by Ryan Burgos

r_burgos2003
08-08-2003, 10:46 PM
A great who-dunnit movie!

APRIL FOOL'S DAY starts off like many great slashers: gore, creepyness and the promise of some sexy bodies.

Muffy Saint John invites her college buddies over to the private island where she lives in her huge mansion. It seems that it's spring break and April Fool's is coming up.....and so is the body count!

It seems that someone on the island is cutting the guest list one by one and the only way out is death.....

APRIL FOOL'S DAY- a terrific parody, a creepy thriller, a shocking 83 minutes that leads up to an even more shocking final 5.... pick it up today.

RECCOMENDED TO FANS OF:
Friday the 13th (1980)
Slaughter High (1986)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)

CAST
Deborah Foreman....Muffy/Buffy St. John
Ken Olandt ..............Rob Ferris
Amy Steel.................Kit Graham
Jay Baker..................Harvey Edison, Jr.

THE MOVIE: 4/4

THE PICTURE QUALITY: 10/10 Once again, Paramount shows that their best feature is their video quality. 2.35:1 Anamorphic widescreen.

THE AUDIO QUALITY: 10/10 5.1 Surround, 2.0 Dolby surround. French Dolby 2.0 surround included.

THE SPECIAL FEATURES: none. Paramount raped my wallet of $22 for audio and video. But it was almost worth it. Not even a trailer.

SUBTITLES: English, Spanish and French.

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/214624h.jpg
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/214624bh.jpg

SilentScreams
08-08-2003, 11:18 PM
I love this movie. One of my favorite slashers and having Amy Steel from Friday the 13th Part 2 and Deborah Foreman from Valley Girl and Waxwork was a plus. Both were great in their roles. This one also had Deborah Goodrich and Clayton Rohner who also costarred in Just One of The Guys the year before. This movie to me felt like a mixture between a "Brat Pack" movie and a Friday the 13th.

r_burgos2003
08-08-2003, 11:30 PM
It's a really good movie

Hellbilly
08-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Too bad Paramount didn't include the alternate ending which is shown on the DVD back cover.

r_burgos2003
08-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Where on the back cover. I know all about the alternete ending from GOING TO PIECES (pick up a copy)...give some details

SilentScreams
08-08-2003, 11:37 PM
I never knew there was an alternate ending. what happens? Does anyone know why the changed the opening credits?

Hellbilly
08-08-2003, 11:46 PM
There's a pic from the alternate ending on the back cover there.

It shows "Arch" shot the death splattered to a wall, after the remaining survivors find out that "Arch" was indeed the killer.

r_burgos2003
08-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Oh, I always thought it was the scene where the two are hiding in the closet. Anyway, remember the girl who had the abortion (short blond hair, into her studies)? Was she the one who scared Muffy at the end...you know "April Fools" gal with the knife.....and where did u find out that info?

hell ya!
08-09-2003, 12:47 AM
This movie rocks!!!!

SilentScreams
08-09-2003, 03:37 AM
Yeah, the girl with the short blonde hair was the one who pulled the knife on Muffy at the end.

r_burgos2003
08-09-2003, 03:47 AM
Thanks, it was watered down at the end. She seemed so sad throughout the entire movie. Not like that hot piece of work Nicki. I felt sorry for Nicki finding all the decapitated heads in the well...:nervous:

Hellbilly
08-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by r_burgos2003
.....and where did u find out that info?
From one of the many April Fool's Day threads posted here.
I'm sure you can find more details about the alternate ending using the search option.
Again, it really sucks that Paramount didn't include that ending though.

r_burgos2003
08-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Paramount doesn't give a fuck

RyanPC
08-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by SilentScreams
Yeah, the girl with the short blonde hair was the one who pulled the knife on Muffy at the end.

Thanks to the DVD, I could finally make out who it was. On the old P & S VHS, I couldn't tell who pulled the knife on her since it was so dark, and I wondered about that for YEARS! :(

And I also wondered why that pic on the back was never in the movie... now I know! Once again, fuck you Paramount! :fuck:

Latency
08-18-2003, 09:45 PM
FU Paramount ? C'mon guys, at least they didn't fuck with the colors or add a TV edit soundstream :)

Besides, all of Paramounts horror dvd's look and sound great. I think most or ALL are anamorphic too! Anyways, quit slamming Paramount :)

Back to the review, great little film. The review was okay but some more detail could have been added. A bit too short IMO. You could have added some of your dislikes about the film too. No movie is perfect :) (even though you gave it a 4/4 rating). nice touch doing the "RECCOMENDED TO FANS OF" and "Cover art" sections though.

Review 6.5/10

Movie: 8.5/10

YottNik
04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah, the girl with the short blonde hair was the one who pulled the knife on Muffy at the end.Thanks to the DVD, I could finally make out who it was. On the old P & S VHS, I couldn't tell who pulled the knife on her since it was so dark, and I wondered about that for YEARS! :(
And here I thought I was the only one who had this problem. I've seen AFD maybe 4 or 5 times since its theatrical release and I never knew for sure who it was who pulled that knife. I watched it again today, though, for the first on a big screen TV and I finally figured it out. Even then, though, I had to re-watch a couple of scenes with that character to make sure I was right.

I've always felt like a dumbass for not knowing but it was never obvious to me until today. Duh.

FWIW, I still think this movie is a lot of fun. Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.

baggio
04-09-2007, 06:33 PM
People talking about the Pan and Scan version not showing. The girls kisses her on the cheek and then smiles in to camera. What was cut out? I know it was a little dark but at first you thought it was Amy Steel but the smile and that stern look gives it away.

So that kinda stinks that it wasn't clear to some people. Because you lost a little of the twist. It was a nice touch to use her because she was the most affected by her prank. She owed Muffy one. Plus she was the most subdued person there.

wago70
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Right. I actually had this problem when I saw this at the drive-in in 1986 (the screen was waaaaay to dark and the lights from the surrounding streetlights put a glare on the screen). I couldn't make out a thing!
When I saw this again at an indoor theater, the rowdy audience applauded when the figurine winks. Lots of laughs in this one ESPECIALLY when all is revealed and the boyfriend is still locked in the closet...(well, you know the scene) - this was one of the few films I ever saw where the audience was really into the film. Fun stuff.

MrVess
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Wonderful little film indeed; thank heavens the horrible original ending was cut...

Sadly, it, too, may be savaged soon - apparently, rumors of a remake started flying.