PDA

View Full Version : Trauma (R2)

Hellbilly
08-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Until now my memory was a bit hazy regarding Argento's TRAUMA, which I rented and watched only once on tape (Republic) ages ago. Building up my Argento collection on DVD over the years I was more then happy discovering the German "Laser Paradise" edition at a horror convention a week ago, bought it and finally gave it a spin today.

Gotta say I wasn't really impressed by this movie. From all the Argento films I've seen this one must be his most um, unbalanced one?
It kinda felt uneven throughout and like lots of footage was missing - for instance we see in one scene Piper Laurie's character shuffle tarot cards and a second later she's surrounded by her guests getting ready for that big seance.
Maybe it was intended odd editing ... (?) but it sure was kinda distracting and came off more like sloppy editing.
There are many other scenes that seemed "hacked off" the same way.

Anyway, the story is easy to follow (heh) and I definitely loved the way the camera moves - Typical Argento: Beautifully shot with a few breathtaking sceneries.
A couple of confusing scenes (what's up with that reggae band at the end?) and interesting death scenes but AURA (onscreen title) isn't really a gore feast. There are a few nice (and one extremly fake) looking decapitated heads provided by Tom Savini though.
Acting is ok even though Piper Laurie pulls a little Margaret White on us.
Asia Argento's performance is a mixed bag however. Some would say her acting is as bad as her accent but I thought she did ok in most parts.
Plus we get to see her barf, take a shower and get a glimse at her boobies.
Ain't that something? :D

http://web9.server51.df-webhosting.de/bilder/Z0317029.JPG

Laser Paradise' DVD (R2 PAL) has a nice animated (spoiler free) menu and is supposed to be uncut - but some German horror site was bitching that half of the song that's playing at the end credits was missing ...

VIDEO: Widescreen 2.35:1 (16:9) - Looks alright. No color bleeding, mostly clean print but a few night scenes are actually too dark.

AUDIO: English 2.0 - Not sure if this is stereo, sure ain't surround. Sounded more like mono actually. Strange sound mix nonetheless :eek2:

EXTRAS: Theatrical Trailer, Bio's and five deleted scenes (about 30 seconds each). They were probably cut for pacing since they really didn't add much to the story.

r_burgos2003
08-25-2003, 02:45 AM
As usual, a very good review

Mario77
08-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info, Hellbilly. I was curious about this release. I have the Tartan one and it's pretty terrible picture-wise (and not 16x9 Enhanced), but the sound was actually decent Dolby Surround. I guess this new one is something to consider...
Thanks again for the good review.

dwatts
08-25-2003, 09:57 AM
I think the Tartan one, while suffering from being a tad dark - is far from "terrible". Not bad at all for such a mediore film.

The Chaostar
08-25-2003, 11:07 AM
The quality of the picture of a dvd doesn't have anything to do with someones subjective opinion of the film included. Every film that's out there deserves the best treatment possible for me - 'cause someone out there may love it! Anyway, the Tartan dvd ain't that bad...

Mario77
08-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Okay, I'll rephrase that and say the Tartan DVD looks terrible on my 65 inch Widescreen TV. Most any disc that's not enhanced looks pretty bad on a large widescreen monitor, IMHO, zoomed in or not. But the Tartan disc has artifacting problems and a pretty murky transfer to begin with, so for my money, it's pretty bad. But to each his own, I post in peace.

And yeah, dwatts it's a pretty mediocre ;) film, but I'm a completist.

dwatts
08-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Me too, that's why I bought it :) But of course, it is still missing some of the elevator death scene, which is a bummer. :(

Hellbilly
08-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by dwatts
But of course, it is still missing some of the elevator death scene, which is a bummer. :(
Ugh, that sucks. I can deal with a DVD not being 16:9 enhanced but I want my gore intact!
I think the Laser Paradise edition is definitely the one to look out for :)

HillsHaveEyes13
08-25-2003, 11:02 PM
I actually like the film myself... defenitely much better than his latest efforts.Im holding off till it sees a R1 release though...Godd review though.

Beastus
08-26-2003, 01:11 PM
The movie is awesome, and I have the Tartan DVD. I may pick up the German release, although I'm sure a region 1 release will come someday.

Anyone know who has the rights to this one in the US?

dwatts
08-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Wow, Sleepless knocks this one all the way to Sunday.