PDA

View Full Version : The Mutilator (R2 - Dragon Version)

Hellbilly
08-09-2003, 07:43 PM
For some reason our local video stores never carried the uncut version of Vestron Video's The Mutilator back then.
Here I am years later finally viewing it for the very first time in it's unedited form.

Yay!

Plot: When Ed and his bored friends decide to go on a road trip during their Fall Break (to take care of his daddy's condo on a small island), little do they know their weekend vacation of fun is going to turn into a bloody massacre ...

"I'm gonna get a new high score on video machines"

Ah, the 80s!

The Mutilator a.k.a. Fall Break isn't the best slasher ever made but has it's fun moments thanks to the gory and well done special effects. Simple plot with a few annoying (teen) characters thrown in and yep, that's about it.

but hey, they die in the most creative ways -

- One gets a boat motor in the chest with blood splashing everywhere!
- One gets spiked with a pitchfork in the throat!
- A gal gets a giant fish hook rammed into her vagina! ouch!
- Cop gets a huge toothpick (picket fence) in the face followed by a ghastly decapitation!

Let's not forget the bloody showdown where the killer gets ripped apart by the waist but is still able to chop off a cop's leg with a battle axe.
Cool scene.

Ah well. What else has this film to offer besides killing? Let's see ...

Gratuitous display of dead bodies.
POV shots from the killer (sometimes with heavy breathing).
Beer drinking.
Silly games. They play "tag", "monopoly" and "blind man's bluff".
They say "cut it out" and "give me a break" a lot.
There's a scene showing two strolling on the beach with happy music playing.
There's a speeded-up "slapstick" kinda scene with goofy music playing.
And finally, you also get to see "funny" outtakes while the end credits roll. Good times!

http://www.dtm.at/Reviews/Bilder/muti00.jpg

We're going on a Fall Break ...

Yes Sir! Pop in the disc and ya'll hear that cheesy but catchy song while staring at the disc menu.
Unlike the UK version, Germany's R2 PAL Dragon release is totally uncut.

VIDEO: Full Screen - Not the best transfer around. Looks like VHS quality. The colors blue and red are quite strong, image ain't always the sharpest plus it has it's share of grain. Kinda reminded me of watching a Diamond release with a slightly better picture.

AUDIO: English 2.0 mono - Wasn't that bad actually.

EXTRAS: Bio's and a three minute gallery.

Word has it that TROMA owns the U.S. rights to this? This would mean we will never get a decent anamorphic widescreen release ...

Mark Relford
08-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Good review, Helly! The unrated VHS was hard to find back then. The fish hook scene was sheer nastiness. Wasn't the victim a slut in the movie? Ahhhhh... 80's slasher morality. You gotta love it!:D I can't seem to find the Dragon DVD on-line, only the crummy "Extreme Edition".

Hellbilly
08-09-2003, 08:36 PM
I can't seem to find the Dragon DVD on-line, only the crummy "Extreme Edition".
Did you try this site yet? http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.527782/aid.020990/qx/details.htm

mcchrist
08-10-2003, 07:35 AM
The Mutilator is the shit, that's the disc for me.

x666x
08-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Good review! I just received mine weeks ago and watched it. What an awesome film. I saw it back in grade school and didn't remember it to be this gory. For those reading this: DO NOT get the so called Extreme Edition. It is in fact cut. The Dragon disk is the only way to go.

betterdan
08-11-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Hellbilly
One gets it with a chainsaw in the chest with blood squirting everywhere!

Actually it's a boat motor and the propeller cuts into him as I recall. Ah the song Fall Break is so cheesy but so catchy. This would make an excellent release for Blue Underground. I have the uncut vhs but would love a nice widescreen dvd.

Cujo108
08-11-2003, 05:18 AM
Did you try this site yet? http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.../qx/details.htm

I ordered this MUTILATOR disc from www.hkflix.com not this past Thursday, but the Thursday before along with the Korean MULHOLLAND DR. SE. Both discs are here now, but I haven't watched either yet. I will tomorrow, and can't wait. THE MUTILATOR is one of my favorite slashers. Nice review!

Hellbilly
08-11-2003, 05:20 AM
Thanks x666x and I think you're right Dan. Scene WAS kinda dark though but yeah, it was a boat propeller.

Hellbilly
08-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Hey Cujo, what's on that Mulholland Dr. SE DVD?

Hellbilly
10-05-2003, 08:28 PM
I heard that Dragon is gonna re-release The Mutilator in the near future with a better looking transfer.
Why not do it right the first time? Double dipping bastids :fire:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
10-06-2003, 01:37 AM
Nice review Hellbilly!

Thanks for the info on the new version also. I will be putting this one on my long Wish List, and will be sure that I pick up that New version!

Slasher Movies Rule! :banana:

onebyone
10-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Good review Hellbilly and on something I really needed to see reviewed too. This is one of the few horror movies I never got to see. I have been thinking about getting for awhile and this review makes it an easy decision.

Now, do I get it right this second or wait for the new version?

Hellbilly
10-07-2003, 05:57 PM

I'd say go for it onebyone. Even though Dragon announced a re-release but it could easily take another year or two.

onebyone
10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Hellbilly

I'd say go for it onebyone. Even though Dragon announced a re-release but it could easily take another year or two.

Just ordered it. I am like the easiest slasher sale ever. :banana: