PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of Frank is rotting!

Diamondhead
03-01-2001, 03:56 PM
I just checked my Columbia pressing of Hammer's Revenge of Frankenstein is succumbing to rot! ARRRGGGHHHH! I guess I need to transfer this to tape because its not likely we'll see this on DVD anytime soon. Almost every title that Sony pressed is rotting. So far I've lost Coppola's Dracula, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Starship Troopers, Anaconda, Raw Deal, and Wolf.

Paff
03-01-2001, 05:11 PM
Ah yes, the Sony laserdiscs. I went through 3 copies of The Usual Suspects before I found a rot-free one.

Here's the trick with Sony and Columbia/Tri-Star LDs: Look on the inside ring of the disc for the manufacturer's stamp. It you see "made in Austria" or something like that, the disc will be fine. If it just says "LDVS", it'll probably rot.

Of course by now, it's just easier to buy the DVD. But there's a little tip for you next time you roam the used LD racks.

Jasondog
03-01-2001, 09:17 PM
Just checked my Dracula. No visual rot at all and it says LDVS. Hopefully I wont have any problems in the future. This is the "Special Collector's Edition" I keep it becuase of the documentary not on the DVD. Supposedly a SE DVD comes out this year, hopefully it will be on there.

Paff
03-01-2001, 10:20 PM
My SE of Dracula is Austrian-pressed, so I know I'm ok. But yeah, I have a few LDVS discs that have defied the odds and not rotted.

Still, if I'm digging for used LDs, I tend to avoid the Columbia/Tri-Star discs unless they're Austrian. And there's no way I'd buy one from an online sale.