PDA

View Full Version : 1.laserdics 2.LDplayer 3.OOPS

wizzer
08-10-2003, 06:06 AM
i picked up a few ld's because i saw some trading potential. then i wanted to watch one of them that isn't avaliable on dvd so i went and bought a player. now i'm watching laserdiscs and looking up prices on laserdiscs. am i some kind of crazy freak? do laserdisc owners only collect ld's because their collection started before dvd's? do you only buy ld's that aren't avaliable on dvd or what? should i stop this ld bussiness before it's too late? or am i stuck with another disgusting collecting habbit?

speanroc
08-10-2003, 06:10 AM
i like to call it "questing" that's half the fun , besides there are some really awsome LD releases............

Alan Smithee
08-10-2003, 07:10 AM
I owned a laserdisc player before DVD came along. Luckily, my collection didn't get too big. The only justification I have for still owning/buying laserdiscs is for films or special features that aren't available on DVD, or the rare case of a DVD having better picture quality (but then 99.9% of laserdiscs aren't anamorphic, so that is arguable). Some people really enjoy the huge, LP-sized packaging for display purposesor whatever, but IMO that's what posters are for.

Paff
08-10-2003, 10:11 AM
If you have a "collector's mentality", you might be in trouble.

Laserdiscs are just cool, even if they don't have the picture quality of DVD (though I still prefer LD's sound over DVD). Whether it's cover art, extra features, or just plain collectiblity, it's a fun little hobby.

Something to look into are the LDs released by Elite Entertainment. It's like a "best-of" horror list, and all of their lasers were top notch.

wizzer
08-10-2003, 05:36 PM
thanks for the heads up. i played the student bodies disc and the sound quality is so bad on the disc that i cant watch the movie. is this some kind of deterioration process or a faulty disc? the other movies sound really good though. on student bodies it's like the voices are unable to hear but then a phone rings and it blows my speakers apart. what's up with that?

bigdaddyhorse
08-11-2003, 12:04 AM
I started collecting lasers after dvd, just from seeing how much was out there that wasn't available, or just had better versions than dvd. (I'm into the extra features, so Escape From New York with commentary sold me on getting a cheap LD player).
I still only get lasers that have more or different extras than the dvds do, or that just don't exist on dvd.

As for the audio problems, it could be anything. maybe the player itself is messed up, or maybe the discs, or maybe the stereo.
What kind of player do you have, and what sound option are you running?
I know when I finally upgraded my player, the picture and sound both improved dramaticly from the cheapy Quasar I was using.

wizzer
08-11-2003, 12:50 AM
ive got the audio going straight off the zenith disc player to my sony stereo. the problem is something with the disc because when i put in lion king it sounded excelent. oh well. i just got excited when i saw a friday the 13th but it was just the cut paramount version not the jap one.i bought it anyways.