PDA

View Full Version : Not horror, but more Lon Chaney on the way...

mutleyhyde
08-10-2003, 07:51 AM
Coming in October...

http://www.dvdplanet.com/productimages/front/35224.jpg

Courtesy of www.dvdplanet.com.

It is rumored also to include the London After Midnight reconstruction which aired on TCM. If that turns out to be true, this set would be worth it to me for that alone. :banana:

Hammerfan
08-10-2003, 09:52 AM
AWESOME! I have been wanting THE UNKNOWN on DVD forever! I lost my tape when I moved out West. THE UNKNOWN stars Chaney and Joan Crawford and was directed by Tod Browning in 1927. If you have never seen this, you are in for a treat. It is definitely in the horror vein, especially considering the time in which is was made. I very, very highly recommend it! Its one of my favorite silents! This DVD is a keeper!

:banana: :D :banana: :D

mutleyhyde
08-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Awesome Hammerfan, I had no idea. I'm no Chaney expert, but jump at the chance to obtain his films when I can. Tod Browning you say, and young flapper Joan Crawford? I'm there. :D

Hammerfan
08-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Its the best of both worlds. It actually has some really strange/creepy moments. This is a real gem, worth the price of this DVD set alone. Its so mine!

marioscido
08-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Woooohooo! "The Unknown" finally to dvd! That's the best news I've heard in weeks. Mutley you made my day!!

"The Unknown" is one of the most important Chaney/Browning collaborations. Chaney plays Alonzo the Armless, a circus knife thrower who amputates his arms for love. Great film! One of Chaney's most impressive performances. A feast for those with a penchant for his great bodily contortions.

A serious must-have for the classic horror fan.

MaxRenn
08-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Agreed. "The Unknown" is brilliant and bizarre - one of the most memorable silent movies ever.

"Laugh, Clown Laugh" was recently shown on TCM with a brand-new music score and, although it is not a horror film, it should convince anyone of Chaney's "straight" acting skills.

I believe that TCM will be showing all three of these films (as well as other Chaney classics) during October.