PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Man LD....anyone have it??

Paff
06-20-2001, 06:32 PM
OK, this forum is about as quiet as Pamela Anderson watching Jeopardy, but I'm posting this here anyway.

I just won an auction for Cemetary Man:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1437569687

First of all, shame on me for never having seen this film, but I wanted to wait until I got it on some kind of disc format. VHS just ain't happenin. Well, I'll be getting this disc. But does anyone know if it's any good? Is it uncut? Good transfer?

Of course, I'll find out when I get it, I'm just asking ahead of time...

Nos4ah2
06-20-2001, 11:58 PM
Paff,

I can tell by the cover that this is the American CBS/FOX release.
I'm pretty sure it's cut.

I've never actually seen the disc, I had the movie on vhs.
I would imagine that the quality is pretty good though. I was actually relatively suprised by the quality of the vhs!

I'm trying to get ahold of the region 2 dvd.

I know that the only way to get this movie in the states (brand new) is to special order the thing on vhs, and it is $30 anywhere I've looked.

I think you got a helluva deal for $16!!!

Congrats, and enjoy!

If you hate the movie and want to sell it, let me know!

DIBS! hehe

laserdogg
06-21-2001, 03:50 AM
Disc is from '96, transfer was ok as I recall. OAR is 1.66 but US disc is P&S (though not much is lost) Movie itself is weird but interesting. Read somewhere that the US release may be missing 4 or 5 minutes. My copy (same one you are getting) lists running time at 99 minutes. Japanese letterboxed ld is about 104. Hope this helps.

Ele-Mantle
06-22-2001, 11:59 PM
Hi, I own both the US Laserdisc and the German 'blood red' DVD, because this is one of my three alltime favourite genre movies!

I definitely never noticed any cuts in the Laser version, and the picture quality of the disc is damn fine and absolutely comparable to the German DVD.

The laserdisc starts in 1.66 and after the start-credits it blurps into fullframe/pan & scan, which is offcourse very annoying (BIG understatement). The soundtrack on the laserdisc though, is much better than the thin sounding DVD version. (What a score!)

The DVD has a coupla of trailers for horror flicks including one for Dellamorte...
All trailers come with German soundtracks only.

Enjoy your Laserdisc!

Paff
06-23-2001, 12:28 AM
Well then, sounds like I did pretty well. As far as the LD sounding better, that's almost a given on any disc. Plain ol' surround (not 5.1) on LD is definitely better than the same on DVD, and I even enjoy a small improvement with 5.1 as well. No, I'm not throwing out my DVD player and discs, but I do like the LD sound just a little better.

I'm going into the poorhouse though, 'cause this week I also managed to snag a Criterion copy of Seven (different stuff than the DVD), and the special edition of The Thing (1951).

The best way to keep LD players going for a long time is regular use so that all the parts stay lubed and dry rot doesn't set in. I'm insuring that my 704 lasts a real long time....

Nos4ah2
06-23-2001, 12:44 AM
Yeah, that Se7en box set is sweet.

I particularly like the autopsy photos and the stuff with Rob Bottin.

Dave
06-26-2001, 05:47 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet scores, man.

First, let me tell you, Cemetery Man is a superb horror movie - you're going to love it. As far as it being cut or not, Video Watchdog did a side-by-side comparison of the US and Japanese versions, and they claim the two are identical. Apparently the Japanese disc has it's running time wrong. The PAL dvds can have a different running time due to the frames per second difference.

First I owned the Cemetery Man domestic LD, which is a fine LD, especially for the price. Then I went to the Japanese LD, which is even better thanks to a kick ass cover and the OAR. Then I went to the PAL DVD, which I ended up selling. Unfortunately, I don't currently own the film, but I plan on picking up the domestic or Japanese LD again soon.

Enjoy!