PDA

View Full Version : Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat

Andrew
08-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Okay, so after waiting forever to see this, I finally got my SE in the mail. Was it worth the wait (or price)? Read on...

Fuad Ramses III rolls into town to set up an exotic catering place, and it just so happens to be the same town that his grandfather committed his crimes in 35 years ago. From the moment he arrives, a Detective Michael Myers (yeah, I wasn't laughing either) is on his case from day one, but his partner Dr. Loomis (yep) tries to rationalize the situation. Fuad seems innocent enough though. However, he soons finds a statue in the back room of his shop, and at once it begins to take hold over him. Yes, it's Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess we all know and love, and now it's got Fuad just like his grandfather. Now Fuad has been hired to cater for a young girl's wedding to Detective Myers, and her bitchy mother constantly comes in to make sure she approves of his exotic flavors. Soon the bridesmaids start to get knocked off one by one as Fuad prepares his blood feast.

Okay, I'm a huge fan of the original BLOOD FEAST, and while I in no way attempt to be an H.G. Lewis expert (I've only seen BF, TWO THOUSAND MANIACS, and now this) I felt a need to share my opinions on this film. First off, the honest truth is, this movie is bad. The acting is horrendous, dialogue unimaginable, and situations a little far fetched. The character names are awful as well; let's see we have Misti Morning, Bambi Deere, Trixi Treeter, Laci Hundees (my favorite), and Candi Graham; and don't forget the aforementioned cops. McLachlan (Myers) is really really bad, and reminds me of cockier version of Tom Cruise (which takes a lot). John Waters' cameo is actually the best part of acting in the whole film, and he delivers a few of the only funny jokes. However, what I know many are looking for is gore, and this film truly does not disappoint in that regard. I actually really enjoyed the gore effects here, with heads sawed up, hands put through meat grinders, and intestines pulled out, all shown through great detail. Herschell really does know how to keep the blood flowing, but sadly the movie doesn't feel at all like one of his pictures. I was hoping for a film much like his older pictures, but now I realize that was way too much to ask. There are some decent gags here and there, but sadly it really comes off as nothing more than mediocre. The gore is nice though, so if that's what you're looking for, the film won't disappoint. I also forgot to mention that there's a fair amount of T&A, and the girls aren't too bad looking either, which is a step in the right direction. Overall though, I was quite disappointed.

Shriek Show presents BLOOD FEAST 2 in 1.85 Widescreen (I don't know if it's anamorphic or not - it does not say nor do I have a 16x9 television) and it looks pretty good. There are some specks and obvious budgetary limitations present, but it's nothing worth complaining about. Colors look good and it's pretty free of grain. Could've been better though. Audio is presented in DD Stereo or Mono, I can't really tell, but it sounds fine. Nothing special. The music is by Southern Culture on the Skids who I've never heard of, but I'm guessing they have some kind of fanbase as there's a little circle on the cover stating they did the music. It's not my favorite kind, but at times the "BUM bom" bango theme from the original shows up. Extras wise I was also very disappointed. On the first disc there's a batch of trailers for KILLING BIRDS, BLOOD FEAST 2, ZOMBI 2, DEMONS 3: THE OGRE, FLESH FOR THE BEAST, and LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN; also present is a photo gallery that is nothing special. The second disc contains four rather short features. The first is "On Set with Herschell Gordon Lewis" where we get to see him direct an actress and just talk a little on set for a tad under 4 minutes. If it was longer it could've been interesting, he could've discussed returning to the genre, his feelings on the film, etc. However we get no insight, so it's prety worthless. The second feature is "Behind the Scenes" which runs a little longer at 12 minutes, it's just someone walking around with a video camera asking people what they do on this picture. 50% said "nothing", and that should give you a good idea of how the movie turned out. Again, watching John Waters was the best part of this. Then there's "Behind the Gore", around 4 and a half minutes, just showing the gore effects as they're happening from two angles. No preparation shots or descriptions on how they did it, just showing us the same thing as the movie from a video camera's standpoint. It's also interesting to see how H.G. tells the effects guy what to do. I wanted to hear some "back in the drive-in days..." rant but alas it was not to be. Lastly there's some deleted scenes which are just extended parts, completely unnessecary.

Man, what a disappointment. I can't say it was terrible, but a definite letdown, especially coming from such a legend. The disc is a real bust as well, with only 25 minutes of special features for a $35 retail. Now if anyone knows me I rarely trade away discs, even if I don't like them, but don't be surprised if this gets offered up in the near future. To be fair, I haven't decided yet, but still. The gore is the only thing this movie has going for it, although some may like it more than me, maybe I should've just lowered my expectations beforehand. If anything, I would highly suggest just getting the single disc Director's Cut, as the extras are totally not worth it, especially for the price.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the second disc comes in a paper CD case, which is very lame indeed. It's all part of a white keepcase though, which is...cool?

Grim
08-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Nice review dude. I think I might hold off on this, I had my doubts about it and I was pretty much right. I just don't really think they'll be able to recreate the look and style of his older films. But then again opinions differ so maybe i might like it based on camp value alone, I might just pick up the single uncut version, less money and i doubt im going to be that interested in the second disc for this movie anyhow. Once again great review dude, keep up the good work.:)

DefJeff
08-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Great review Andy! I am glad someone reviewed this because I have been thinking about picking it up for awhile, but have found virutally nothing about it as far as reviews go.

I am definitally going to pass on it now, although I love gore, it's not enough to save a movie for me.

It's a shame to hear that this 2nd disc also comes in a paper CD holder. Lame.

Atmims
08-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Excellent review Andrew! I still don't think I can miss this one though, even though I believe you that is will suck. It's just a movie I gotta see for myself shit or not.

Jeff, excellent avatar!!!

mcchrist
08-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Great review Andrew, but I'm seeing this regardless. There aren't hardly any US gore films shot on film anymore. Also, H.G. Lewis returns, this is the kind of situation where it could blow goats and I'd still embrace it for what it is. The screenwriters need to back off from those names though, that truly is sickening! An obvious sign that Lewis didn't write this.

Mark Relford
08-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Great review! I'm still getting the SE.:D It's a damn shame that a Lewis commentary wasn't included.:(

zombi3
08-11-2003, 04:43 AM
Sounds like some good, gory fun. I just hope that Media Blasters will ditch that whole paper slipcase thing before Zombi 2 comes out.:eek1:

Suicide
08-11-2003, 05:54 AM
Thanks, it's about time a review of this showed up somewhere. I've been trying to decide whether to order it or not. Now I'll just wait and rent it from Netflix, then if I like it I think I'll just stick with the less expensive director's cut version.

gangreen
08-12-2003, 02:53 PM
One of the reasons I ordered this was because of the commenary track which is advertised. What happened to it?

Andrew
08-12-2003, 10:22 PM
I don't know, but it's certainly not on the disc. I even tried switching audio tracks during the film, but no dice. That really disappointed me, and would've probably ended up making this disc twice as good in the extras department, as H.G. does great commentaries.

Suicide
08-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Okay, just saw this yesterday and I too am pretty disappointed.
First of all, did this movie need to be 100 minutes long? That's quite long for a movie like this. They should've cut a good half hour out of the movie in my opinion. It was like everything was drawn out way longer than it needed to be, the gore scenes for example. While they were actually well done, and really quite disgusting, I actually felt a bit sick during a couple of them, some just went on way too long. I don't know, but someone pulling out a brain out of someone's skull is great in a gore movie, but showing Fuad fondle the brain for over a minute gets kinda irritating.

Then there was the detective, who I thought was Simon Rex for a good portion of the movie. He was rather annoying, although his delivery of the line "You're under arrest, bastard!" was actually really goddamn funny. And there's the ever amusing "fat guy who's always eating" character. He had some pretty funny parts, but the eating thing just wasn't funny.

My mom was in the living room for like the first hour this was on for some reason, and the movie did get some very disgusted sounds from her, so that was pretty amusing. Other than that I'll just say "yeah what BBD said in his review." It had a few good parts and some really gross gore scenes, but it really should've been alot more entertaining.

mcchrist
08-16-2003, 02:47 PM
It was like everything was drawn out way longer than it needed to be, the gore scenes for example. While they were actually well done, and really quite disgusting, I actually felt a bit sick during a couple of them, some just went on way too long. I don't know, but someone pulling out a brain out of someone's skull is great in a gore movie, but showing Fuad fondle the brain for over a minute gets kinda irritating.

That's what I look for in an H.G. Lewis flick, he always lingers over a gore shot for more than necessary, like a perverted cum-shot in a way. That only encourages me dude.

As for alot of the humor involved, that just doesn't sound like Lewis at all. I'll know come tuesday.

Atmims
08-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist
That's what I look for in an H.G. Lewis flick, he always lingers over a gore shot for more than necessary, like a perverted cum-shot in a way. That only encourages me dude.

As for alot of the humor involved, that just doesn't sound like Lewis at all. I'll know come tuesday.

hah hah! Good way of describing it MC. Sounds just like the original Blood Feast. I always liked how Lewis would show the maniac caressing his victims intestines or something like he is on the verge of creaming his jeans. It was sorta sick looking, but that's Lewis for sure. As far as I know Blood Feast was the first really gory movie, yet it was filmed like something to masturbate over. WAY ahead of it's time.

Wez4555
08-17-2003, 05:16 PM
more gore than needed? im there! but thanks to your review andrew, ill prolly just pick up the single disc director's cut.

Mark Relford
08-21-2003, 07:25 AM
Got this long awaited DVD in the mail today. Let me just say that the paper holder fuckin' blows!:mad: I could hear the extras disc sliding around in the case. The holder was crumpled up and the disc could've been easily mistaken for a BlockBastard one. (Scratches everywhere!) Would it hurt SS to add another tray? There's an easter egg on the extras disc. Go down to "Behind the Scenes" and press left. Got milk?;) I'll post my thoughts on the movie later...

Atmims
08-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Watched it last night. The story layout and gore scenes are typical H.G. Lewis althought instead of having that CRAZY music during the gore scenes it had rockabilly type music which makes it kinda goofy. The comedy is not typical of Lewis but doesn't hurt the movie in my opinion. I had a six pack of beer while I watched this movie and laughed out loud a couple times. I liked Blood Feast 2.

mcchrist
08-21-2003, 11:03 PM
It's on the griddle for tonight!

Atmims
08-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Good, since your such an H.G Lewis aficionado I'd love to hear your comments. Good and bad.

mcchrist
08-22-2003, 08:24 AM
You know something, I was the first fucker to pre-order this at the Borders in my area, I figure hell they probably have it in stock, let alone my copy there right? Well, they just put the order in for it yesterday, and there's no other store around here with it (I went on a hunt, haven't checked Zia records yet though...) Still, I'm pissed because I have a 20% off coupon and I want to use it dammit!

:mad:

Atmims
08-22-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
You know something, I was the first fucker to pre-order this at the Borders in my area, I figure hell they probably have it in stock, let alone my copy there right? Well, they just put the order in for it yesterday, and there's no other store around here with it (I went on a hunt, haven't checked Zia records yet though...) Still, I'm pissed because I have a 20% off coupon and I want to use it dammit!

:mad:

Fuck them mother fuckers! Stuff like that pisses me off. Good luck man.

zombi3
08-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford
Got this long awaited DVD in the mail today. Let me just say that the paper holder fuckin' blows!:mad:

Here's a suggestion - what I did was take the second disc out of the paper holder and put it in one of those thin plastic jewel cases that are used for the recordable CDs. That way it won't get any more scratches and it fits nicely inside the keep case. Anyway, I just got Blood Feast 2 in the mail yesterday, but I didn't get to watch it yet - probably tonight.

Mortis
08-22-2003, 08:00 PM
I'd like to get some of these.

http://www.sleevetown.com/images/alpha-addapage.jpg

Grim
08-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Or just find the cases with the extra thing inside for a second disc. I'm sure some place sells them. But Mortis' method is probably cheaper.

zombi3
08-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Well I just watched Blood Feast 2. I thought the movie was pretty cool, but I don't know about the disc. The transfer looks OK, although it's apparently non-anamorphic. And did anyone notice the audio distortion during the brain-massage? I also noticed at least one spot of digital artifacting in the form of a horizontal line toward the end, right when Fuad takes the bucket off the old lady's head. I've seen this type of artifacting on a number of Troma discs, but I'd expect it from Troma. Sucks about the commentary too, but honestly I haven't even heard the commentary for Blood Feast 1 yet.:rolleyes:

Mark Relford
08-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by zombi3
And did anyone notice the audio distortion during the brain-massage? I also noticed at least one spot of digital artifacing in the form of a horizontal line toward the end, right when Fuad takes the bucket off the old lady's head. I've seen this type of artifacting on a number of Troma discs, but I'd expect it from Troma.

The audio distortion and the artifacting are on mine too.

Gotta agree with most of Andy's review. The gore scenes are great. Lewis still has the magic touch. The rest of the movie suffers from limp gags. The Lewis tribute, Blood Diner was better in that department. What's up with Mr. Lampley's body showing up at the murder scenes? :lol: Was Montag the Magnificent responsible for this?;) I didn't mind the bad acting, but Detective Myers was the worst! He makes Connie Mason a competent actor.:eek: To sum it up, I'm glad the sequel is outta the way and hopefully we'll see some original material from Lewis.

mcchrist
08-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks Mark, I still can't wait to see this though... Now let's hope Grim Fairy Tale gets off the ground.

zombi3
08-27-2003, 05:18 AM
According to Fangoria's Chopping List (http://www.fangoria.com/chopping_list.php), the release date for the Blood Feast 2 SE has been updated to "Future Undated". Is Shriek Show planning to re-release this already? Maybe the version they released last week is being recalled so they can include the commentary and an anamorpic transfer???:confused:

Andrew
08-27-2003, 05:32 AM
That would be insanely lame of them. I didn't mention it in my review but the film also looked like it was shot on DV or some other shitty film stock. I read that Mr. Lewis was extremely upset by this as they had used expensive 35mm film to shoot. He seemed very pissed off at Media Blasters. I'd understand if this was to fix that, but it'd still incredibly obnoxious on their part.

Mark Relford
08-27-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
That would be insanely lame of them. I didn't mention it in my review but the film also looked like it was shot on DV or some other shitty film stock. I read that Mr. Lewis was extremely upset by this as they had used expensive 35mm film to shoot. He seemed very pissed off at Media Blasters. I'd understand if this was to fix that, but it'd still incredibly obnoxious on their part.

SS needs to get their shit together on these releases. :fire:

Andrew
08-27-2003, 07:39 AM
They've erased every release for the rest of the year and have decided not to set a date until their products are in the can. It's a smart move but DAMN am I anxious for ZOMBI 2, LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN, FACELESS, and a bunch of others.

HillsHaveEyes13
08-28-2003, 10:05 PM
So is Blood Feast 2 available or what?

Mutilated Prey
05-01-2011, 05:35 AM
How great was this? What a pleasant surprise. I didn't even realize it existed until I was browsing thru Netflix's online movie options on my PS3. Had to give it a shot. I was a little worried with the first scene where the wookies were trolling around the garbage cans and then gauged each other - the gore did keep me intrigued. The flick settles right in with off-the-wall zaniness, gratuitous gore and nudity of hot cha chas. I laughed out loud at the creme brulee scene - BAM!