PDA

View Full Version : question about Criterion Laserdisks

Nos4ah2
03-09-2001, 12:56 AM
Am I correct in thinking that pretty much any Criterion Collection laserdisk is a good score, since they don't license out their supplements?

I found The Criterion edition of Seven for $7, ironically enough, and so I picked it up.

laserdogg
03-09-2001, 01:42 AM
You got a good deal. The Se7en box for $7 is a steal.

Nos4ah2
03-09-2001, 02:01 AM
I thought so too!
This things got 4(?) disks in it!!!
I only opened it to make sure it hadn't rotted, but I'm pretty sure that there were 4.
As far as laserdisks go, am I right that Criterion doesn't license out any of their supplements?
Should I grab any other Criterions I see in the future, (providing I like the movie) even if I already have the movie on dvd?
(As well as vhs, in this case)

Paff
03-09-2001, 03:54 AM
$7 for Criterion's Seven is not a steal, it's grand theft.

There's a whole bunch of supplements that are NOT on the new DVD (though if you're a big fan you need that too).

SOME Criterion LDs have more than the DVD counterparts, but not all. If the DVD is not pressed by Criterion, then by all means pick up the Criterion LD 'cause you'll probably find stuff not on the DVD (Seven, Supercop, Halloween).

When Criterion has made the DVD as well, they're usually pretty much the same, but even then there's sometimes one or two things different (Silence of the Lambs, Chasing Amy).

you also might want the Criterion Boogie Nights. That's one of the rare instances where the Criterion supplements are on the non-Criterion DVD (Because PTA owned the supplements, not Criterion), except for a John Holmes documentary.

Also, as you probably know, several Criterion DVDs are way out of print and fetch VERY high prices (SOTL, Salo, and Spinal Tap), yet you can find those same movies on Criterion LD at more reasonable prices.

Nos4ah2
03-09-2001, 04:00 AM
Awesome! That's a little more along the lines of the type of answer I was looking for.

Thanks!