PDA

View Full Version : Terror Creatures from the Grave DVD

Hammerfan
08-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Has anyone else picked up this new Alpha release of the 1965 Barbara Steele film "Terror Creatures from the Grave"? It looks like it is presented in widecreen, but at times the emulsion scratches go all the way up and down the screen through the letterboxes. I don't think I have ever witnessed this phenomena before! :eek2: I'm glad I only paid about 5 bucks for this one. It started out with some promising creepiness but then strarted to fall apart as it became one of the most chatty horror films I've ever seen! :sleepy:

It seemed like the longest 80 minutes ever.

While I have noticed that Alpha is at least making some sort of effort to improve their quality, this disc was somewhere in the middle. It had some really, really bad distortion of the soundtrack in places and some nasty splices (they looked like they were done by a concession stand worker who knows nothing about splicing). :lol:

It "passes" though, as far as Alpha releases go. I wasn't expecting a whole hell of a lot so I wasn't disappointed.

Jimbo
08-11-2003, 01:01 PM
I got it and agree with you.The She beast is just about the same.I guess untill a good company like BU or Synapse can get their hands on a good print we will just have to deal with what we can.

Crystal Plumage
09-04-2006, 02:57 PM
OK Jimbo,been a while since I got this from you.Finally watched it today.I have to agree with Hammerfan.Though some scenes are creepy enough there's alot of talking going on and some not even understandable due to extreme distortion.Seems like there's alot of frames missing but not too many to spoil the viewing.
Still I liked the movie.Nice Gothic atmosphere.Some familiar faces.
It's great to see how they leave thing to the imagination entirely by just talking about it and using shadows.Though I can understand not everyone agreeing with me here :).There's even some gore.And ofcourse we have Barbara Steele!I won't say anything about the dubbing though since it's the worst dubbing I've seen so far...once you're "in" it's OK but it's still bad.

I'm glad to have it at all and I will buy it if a better edition surfaces.

A funny thing I noticed:
In the beginning of the movie they talk about how and why the hands were cut off from the plague spreaders.But near the end when the graves open what is it we see first?....Exactly.....Their hands!:lol:
It's what makes the movie more fun to watch!
Next one:Long Hair of Death (will post my thoughts in that thread).

X-human
09-04-2006, 05:00 PM
It looks like it is presented in widecreen, but at times the emulsion scratches go all the way up and down the screen through the letterboxes. I don't think I have ever witnessed this phenomena before! :eek2:

Thought I'd throw my two cents in about this; The film makers may have done a hard matte, either during the film process or perhaps somewhere down the road even in the dupe process. Either way the black bars were place directly on the film, so that even if it were shown in a theater in 4:3 the audience would still get a widescreen experience. Then whoever did the telecine process did the full 4:3.

satans-sadists
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Has anyone else picked up this new Alpha release of the 1965 Barbara Steele film "Terror Creatures from the Grave"? It looks like it is presented in widecreen, but at times the emulsion scratches go all the way up and down the screen through the letterboxes. I don't think I have ever witnessed this phenomena before! :eek2: I'm glad I only paid about 5 bucks for this one. It started out with some promising creepiness but then strarted to fall apart as it became one of the most chatty horror films I've ever seen! :sleepy:

It seemed like the longest 80 minutes ever.

While I have noticed that Alpha is at least making some sort of effort to improve their quality, this disc was somewhere in the middle. It had some really, really bad distortion of the soundtrack in places and some nasty splices (they looked like they were done by a concession stand worker who knows nothing about splicing). :lol:

It "passes" though, as far as Alpha releases go. I wasn't expecting a whole hell of a lot so I wasn't disappointed.

I have yet to see an Alpha dvd of acceptable quality. Yes, you can pick them up for around $5.00. I should have learned my lesson after picking up Carnival of Souls and Grave of the Vampire. At least with Carnival, I was able to buy the Criterion version. No luck with Grave of the Vampire, which has atrocious picture and sound quality. It could be enjoyable if presented properly.