PDA

View Full Version : King Kong (1933) R0 NTSC DVD

X-human
08-11-2003, 09:55 PM
There is an import NTSC ALL REGION disc that will play in any dvd player. It is in 4:3, non-anamorphic ratio, and reportedly the picture quality is terrific.

The sound is Dolby Digital, and optional Chinese/Indonesian subtitles are included.

I haven't been able to find it for the right price but I thought I'd share the fact that it exists.

Ash28M
08-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks X-human i love that film. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one.

SaviniFan
08-19-2003, 02:16 AM
I may have to get a hold of this until we get an official region 1 release. I'm guessing they may wait on releasing until the Peter Jackson remake, unless that isn't green lighted. Anyone know?

X-human
08-23-2003, 03:39 AM
I know that Peter Jackson has the green light for Christmas 2005 release, but last I heard about the original's DVD release 2004 was the most they've said.

It's been pushed back for years now, the only real excuse I'll take is that they've added back all the cut scenes like the spider.

I wonder if they'll give an option for color.

SaviniFan
08-23-2003, 04:02 AM
I know some people are against another King Kong remake, but I have alot of confidence in Peter Jackson pulling it off with style. Of course that is providing the studio let's him do most of what he wants.

dwatts
08-23-2003, 02:03 PM
This film has been remade several times. And they're never as good as the original. The original is simply the best, and given history, will remain a must own. I posted a review of the UK release of the original a while back in "Readers Review". This really is a must buy.

SaviniFan
08-23-2003, 05:31 PM
I wholeheartedly agree that the origional will remain the best. It is a classic American film afterall, but I seriously doubt that Peter Jackson will do anything to tarnish the origional. I would have one wish though and that would be for them to try to get Rick Baker involved in the gorilla FX. He is definitely the best as far as that goes. Just look at his work in Disney's Mighty Joe Young. That was a mediocre film at best, yet his work was phoenomenal.

Actually on the subject of the film being remade several times, I can only recall one remake so far. That would be the 1976 Dino De Laurentiis one. All others have just been spin-offs/knock-offs. Point me in the right direction if you feel I'm wrong.

dwatts
08-23-2003, 06:53 PM
I'll go check out the article I read on this one, and come back to either inform you - or admit guilt.

We probably differ on this one because I do not hold Peter Jackson in high regard. I have not bothered with the LOTR films - and before that he's just nothing special, imho. The last thing I need is a CGI King Kong.

SaviniFan
08-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Believe me, the last thing I would want is an all CGI Kong myself. That's why I think Baker should be involved. He can make some amazing animatronic gorillas. I wouldn't have a beef with adding a bit of CGI if only to help enhance the live effects, not be the central part.

X-human
08-23-2003, 10:24 PM
I don't know, even an animatronic King Kong would look bad to me. Since the majority of the SFX in the original were stop motion that would be the logical way to stay true to the first but that seems highly unlikly. I'm all for CGI if they do it right. I'm not talking about Star Wars where they seem to want even the most retarded to know that it's CGI. If they actually do their best to blend it and mix CGI with animatronics and other techniques so that you're never quite sure that would be the best.

Here's the latest bit I've read on the SFX: http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=1204

http://www.wetafx.co.nz/workshop/images/pplarge/kong_lrg.jpg

Jamm
08-29-2003, 12:19 AM
I was told that Peter Jackson is very adamant about remaining true to the original, even setting it in the 30's. It will be interesting to see how they re-create a 1930's New York City skyline.