PDA

View Full Version : Demons III: The Ogre

Andrew
08-13-2003, 10:19 AM
Cheryl (Virginia Bryant), her husband Tom (Paolo Malco from NEW YORK RIPPER and HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY), and their son Bob head off to an Italian village for a little vacation and a chance to relax from the stresses of their normal lives. They are staying in a huge villa, which also so happens to have quite a reputation among the townsfolk. After scoping out the basement, Cheryl quickly realizes that this is the same mansion she imagined in a nightmare she used to have as a child, during which a grotesque ogre would attack her. She soon comes to believe that the ogre is in fact in the basement as well, but her husband just thinks she's crazy. Is Cheryl imagining things or has her nightmare become a reality?

I went into this with very low expectations, so perhaps that's why I ended up liking this quite a bit. It was very slow for the first hour or so, basically just setting up Cheryl's conflict and such, but I thought there was great tension and enough moments of excitement to make up for the overall sluggishness. I didn't mind the film taking its time either, as parts do pay off. The ogre itself looks very cool (up until the end, at which point it dons a very uncool flamboyant vest), and at moments it makes for some great jumps. The acting was pretty good all around also. I absolutely loved the villa setting, as huge old houses can always make for some creepy atmosphere. But the movie falls apart at the end; the ogre becomes very cheesy and it turns to crap. Other than that though, I really enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. I'd really like to know what people found so awful about it.

Shriek Show preesents the film in anamorphically in 1.85 Widescreen and it looks beautiful. Great colors, light grain, and a great print. It was made for TV, but I really couldn't tell from the production values. Sound is in DD Mono and is fine, showing off Simon Boswell's cool score pretty well. Extras include trailers for BLOOD FEAST 2 (save your time), FLESH FOR THE BEAST (not looking too good), KILLING BIRDS, FACELESS (which made me drop my expectations quite a bit), and THE OGRE itself. There's a 13 minute interview with Lamberto Bava as well; he talks about the actors, how the production came to be, and his interests in cinema. Also of note: none of these extras are listed on the back cover, maybe SS forgot?

I was pretty surprised at this and found it mildly enjoyable, at least up until the last 5 minutes. I'd say it's worth checking out, although do NOT expect another DEMONS film - there's no relation.

DefJeff
08-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the review Andy, I have been considering picking this up for awhile, but have found virutally no info on it.

I still think I might hold off on it for a bit, but I am tempted to see the ogre wearing the flamboyant vest, that sounds like a riot!

RyanPC
08-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Hmm... didn't know this was out yet. I might want to check it out. Great review! :)

Atmims
08-14-2003, 02:43 AM
Great review Andrew. I was hesitating buying this too but it sounds alright. I heard it has no gore at all, is that true?

Andrew
08-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Yeah actually there's none that I can remember. It was made for TV. Some titties though :eek2: .

Atmims
08-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
Yeah actually there's none that I can remember. It was made for TV. Some titties though :eek2: .

:lol: Alright. Titties are cool. ;)

Vasilis
08-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Well i really liked the ogre. It had a really creepy atmosphere. In fact i didn't mind the absence of gore at all. I'll pick up the dvd for sure.:) Great review Andrew.:)

Andrew
08-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Yes! Good for you! See, I'm not insane. And like you, I didn't mind the absence of gore either. In face I didn't notice/think about it until Atmims mentioned it.