PDA

View Full Version : another question about retailers...

Nos4ah2
03-13-2001, 04:02 AM
Has anyone ever dealt with www.laserflicks.com? (http://www.laserflicks.com?)

They've got a few disks I've been thinking of picking up...
Just wanted to know if they were reputable.

Thanks!

Paff
03-13-2001, 04:32 PM
Well, I've never ordered from there, so I can't vouch for the reliability at all.

But I checked the site, and their prices are no bargain at all! Most of their discs are "commons", yet they want $23 each for them?? And $80 for Titanic? Please...
I saw one or two discs that are slightly hard to find, for around $40. Overpriced still, but some discs do cost a little more.

If you don't mind me asking, which discs were you interested in? I might be able to direct you somewhere else at a much better price.

Nos4ah2
03-13-2001, 09:41 PM
Paff,

I really appreciate your help!
I sent you a private message, but I'm not sure how it works so just message me here if you don't get it and I'll email you or something.
It's nice to be able to come to a board and ask stupid newbie questions and have people give honest helpful answers... Thanks again!

Paff
03-13-2001, 11:54 PM
In most cases I prefer to keep everything here on the forum and in public, except where privacy is absolutely neccessary. So if ya got Laserdisc Qs, post 'em here, that's what the forom is for.

Nos4ah2
03-14-2001, 12:17 AM
Okidokie.
I just said that I was looking at their Bladerunner Criterion CAV...
I don't think I'm gonna find it any cheaper anywhere else.

Paff
03-14-2001, 04:34 AM
I'm not that big of a Blade Runner fan. I mean, I like the movie, and I have the Director's cut on LD (worst disc change EVER), but I don't think I could justify spending that much on the Criterion.

You might consider Ross' Exchange. He doesn't have it in stock at the moment. But once you become a "regular customer" (IE, buy a few discs), he'll allow you to have a reserve list of 5 discs that he'll call you on as soon as they come in. The price would probably be $40-50. But I don't know how many people are on the list for that, and how often he gets it in.

I suppose if you're willing to pay the price at that web site, give 'em a try.

laserdogg
03-15-2001, 02:41 AM
There are alternatives to that 95.00 CAV Criterion Blade Runner IF you have a bit of patience. I picked my copy up atBig Emma's (http://www.bigemma.com) awhile back for $25 in excellent condition.

If you don't mind auctions, there is currently a copy at $36 with a day or so left on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1415695157).

Make use of Jeff's New/Used LD & DVD Finder (http://www.rtr.com/~jeff/).

Just have patience and you will score that elusive disc at a price you can live with.

Paff
03-16-2001, 05:49 AM
Laserdogg is right.

I love Big Emma's (just got a factory sealed Dementia 13 for $12!), but you're at the mercy of what they get in stock. And you're competing with thousands of other users for one copy of a disc, so a Criterion Blade Runner would likely be sold within 5 minutes of it getting posted. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't.

E-bay isn't such a bad route. I took a quick check, and in the past they've gone for as little as $50.

Don't assume that just because a certain laserdisc has more features or a better transfer than the DVD, that it will automatically fetch super high prices on E-bay. Two examples: I got the Criterion CAV Halloween (with the highly sought-after commentary) for just $12, and a factory sealed Texas Chainsaw Massacre (with digital line correction that the DVD doesn't have) for only $14.

If you're patient, you can usually get this stuff for what you're willing to pay.

Nos4ah2
03-16-2001, 10:35 PM
Thanks once again for the info fellas!

That LD/DVD finder thing is awesome!

I've been finding some really great deals now. It's just a matter of keeping it a secret from my girlfriend!!!
Good thing she doesn't read this board!!!

:D

Anyone know where I can get a laserdisc of the Swedish music band A-Ha? If I could get that, it would get me off the hook for a few laserdiscs that I've already planned to sleep on the couch for.