PDA

View Full Version : Scents Of A New Laserdisc

gunner
03-21-2001, 07:06 PM
I have a small laserdisc collection.The ld format never took off in my area (maine),I was one of the few proud owners of a player.Today it's more of a conversation piece than an active member of my home theatre..."whats that thing underneath your dvd player?"..."oh,thats a ...".
Anyhow I wanted to mention one thing I miss about recieving a new laserdisc in the mail.The smell.There's nothing quite like it.The ld's had an unorganic,clean,virgin smell unlike anything else on the market.Has anyone else noticed this? DVD's just don't have the aroma when you break the seal.

Paff
03-21-2001, 09:50 PM
Nope, never snorted an LD.

My awe of LDs has always been the cover art, especially the two-disc sets with the gatefold openings. Peeling off the shrink wrap, admiring the glossy artwork, immediately dropping the cover into a plastic bag, man that's fun...

Don't get me wrong, I love DVD too. But mostly I just crack the case, bitch about all the security wrappers, pop in the DVD and chuck the indestructible case across the room.

Hey, if gunner can get high on the scent, I can enjoy a 12" square of cardboard....

gunner
03-22-2001, 02:39 PM
It's those simple pleasures that man likes the most. Pull your most recently purchased (new) laserdisc off the shelf.It may still have the smell I'm talking about. My ld of mother's day directors cut still has it.

wago70
09-21-2001, 01:44 AM
Funny you should mention this! Yes, they are like the smell not unlike that of a new car. My favorite is from ANY laserdisc imported from Japan.

MISFITZ
10-03-2001, 10:30 PM
Can't say I ever noticed a smell either. :( :confused:

I will say, I enjoy the way you can store your laser disc over DVD. Seems to be nice and snug. And the BOX sets on Laser Disc are sharp. It's amazing how some movies were treated when they received the "BOX SET" treatment.

I'm also a DVD fan myself. And I do enjoy the various attempts on the packaging. Some hit (SE7EN, WICKERMAN, etc..) some are just kinda cheesy. (The New TOTAL RECALL package :rolleyes: )

But most of the stuff in the DVD cases are nothing special. I mean, I opened up my FANTASIA BOX Laser Disc and there are TONS of stuff that I still can't beleive they packed in there!! Stuff like Litho prints of rare artwork for the film. Freaking HARD BACK BOOKS!!!