PDA

View Full Version : Sabretooth

Hellbilly
08-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Not the worst but far from being great - I bought this thinking director James D.R. Hickox, the guy who made one of my favorite Children Of The Corn (Urban Harvest) sequels, would probably pull a decent job.
He didn't really.

"Welcome to the great outdoors where the world is your toilet"

Plot: There you got some evil-minded DNA scientists (Vanessa Angel and John Rhys-Davies) resurrecting a giant cat with huge dagger-teeth that went extinct about 10, 000 years ago. Feline escapes and is hot on the trail of five campers that are preparing for a two-week hike out into the mountains. Throw in a grumpy animal hunter (haming it up: David Keith) hired by the DNA gangsters and you have a monster on the loose flick seen a million times before.

Sabretooth is a made-for-TV-direct-to-DVD production that's missing a little fun cheese. It's campy alright and full of cliches and stereotypical characters - which wasn't the worst part. One of my main grudges was the way they handled the cat. It's a ridiculous artificial CGI blotch, like it was created by some 6 year old on his computer. Pretty lame! Wouldn't have sucked that hard if they'd kept it hidden in the dark you know? but nopes, they had to show it strolling through the woods in broad day light. Kinda killed the fun for me.

Ah well, for those still seeking out this film you've been warned. Sabretooth does score points for scenes of extreme blood letting and the display of a few well-done chewed up corpses, the use of the word "fuck", Vanessa Angel's silicone lips and the casting of two retarded rednecks.

http://www.lasersedge.com/gfx/1/front/40432.jpg

Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) This is a very impressive looking print there actually. Clear image, strong colors - you name it.

Audio: 2.0 Stereo. Kinda weak at times but it does it's job.

Extras: Two Theatrical trailers. One for Sabretooth and one for "May".

Hellbilly
08-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Not even one "this review sucks" ? :eek2:

Suicide
08-19-2003, 08:40 PM
This review sucks!;)I have a screener of this I got a while ago, I thought the movie was kinda fun, in a riduclous kinda way. Although that CGI was possibly the worse I've seen. They beat out that Shark Attack 3 boat swallowing shark with that. What annoyed me was they also had some closeup growling shots, that actually looked like a real animal, I know it wasn't obviously, you don't see sabretooth tigers too often these days, but it was pretty realistic. If there would of been more than that, and no CGI the movie would've been at least halfway respectable. So yeah your review pretty much sums the movie up. Good work.:D

Also, thought I'd mention this, I read somewhere that James Hickox has a cameo in the movie, I think he's one of the redneck characters, don't quote me on that though.

Hellbilly
08-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks.
I'm giving this a second spin next weekend though.
Maybe I'll enjoy it better with a couple of beers ;)

bigdaddyhorse
08-20-2003, 11:11 PM
Good luck, it sounds about as good as Pinata : Survior Island [shudder]:nervous:

shift
08-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Yea the CGI is at its best! Yea RIGHT~~:lol: