PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th Uncut R3 DVD

Grim
08-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Ok, to save time I'm just posting the synopsis from my previous Friday the 13th review.

FRIDAY THE 13TH-1980
C: Betsy Palmer, Adrienne King, Harry Crosby, Peter Brouwer, Laurie Bartram, Jeannine Taylor, Kevin Bacon, Mark Nelson, Robbie Morgan D: Sean S. Cunningham W: Victor Miller M: Harry Manfredini

Camp crystal Lake has had a rough history. Whether itís the boy drowning in 1957 or the murder of two counselors shortly after, not a lot has been on Crystal Lakeís side. The locals have nicknamed the forsaken camp "Camp Blood", which does not help matters either. After nearly twenty years of terror and bad luck, not much hope is left for the summer camp. Steve Christy (Peter Brouwer) plans on changing that, heís bought the camp grounds and is fixing the place up for a grand opening that summer. Steve has hired 7 counselors to help him do this. Despite constant warnings from the bumbling locals, the counselors seem very enthusiastic about their new summer job. Unfortunately for the camp, and very unfortunately for Steve and his counselors, there is someone who doesnít want the camp opening back up, and theyíll see to it that it doesnít, at all costs. On this night, this June, Friday 13th, each counselor is stalked and brutally murdered, one by one. Will they find out who this relentless attacker is before itís too late or will they all fall victim to the crazed killer? Watch and find out.

Now for what everybody wants to know, how much more gore is in it? Well, there are three scenes in particular that stood out. Annie's death, Jack's death, and Mrs. Voorhees' death. Each were atleast a couple seconds longer. Other death scenes might have been longer as well but those were the three I noticed the most.

Now for the picture quality. First of all I thought it was funny seeing the Warner Brothers logo go by before the movie started, just didn't feel right. Well, the film is presented in it's original 1.85:1 aspect ratio and is a pretty nice print. Not too much grain, little to no scratches, colors are vibrant, and blacks looked nice. Overall I think this is a great transfer.

The sound is presented in Dolby Digital Mono, no big deal, the film sounds fine. It would've been nice to do a remix but I guess this will do, for now. It sounds nice, all voices are clear and the music sounds fine.

As for the extras, we have the standard theatrical trailer. But I think what everybody's worried about is that new documentary. It was a very nice little feature. It had interviews with Sean S. Cunningham, Victor Miller, Harry Manfredini, Betsy Palmer, and Adrienne King, might've been one or two more, but those are the ones that stood out. The review was pretty informative, offering up things about the movie as well as other interesting facts. Such as Adrienne King was being stalked for awhile by some loony, and that is why she left the acting business Overall a good documentary.

When I first popped this dvd in my dvd player, it automatically had English subtitles on, which I don't really see a point to since the film is in English. I think the DVD was well worth the $20 I paid and I suggest all Friday the 13th fans to get their hands on this somehow. It's NTSC so all you have to do is just find a Region-free player.

Latency
08-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Great review. But how about comparing the transfer to the Paramount disc ? The Paramount disc is most excellent in terms of video quality.

Side by side screenshots ??? c'mon :D

Grim
08-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Well, I can't do any screenshots, but it does look great compared to the Paramount. Paramounts might be just a little bit cleaner and clearer, but this transfer looks great as well. And its uncut (well, not completely) so thats a big plus.

Latency
08-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Maybe the R3 isn't anamorphic. That could be why Paramounts could appear to be "cleaner". Overall a good review man. I doubt i'll be picking this up though. I already own the R1 and a few seconds of cut scenes ain't gonna kill me :). Throw in a few more swings of an axe and blood splattering then maybe :).

Grim
08-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Yep, maybe so, I'd have to rent the R1 DVD to be sure though, it's been awhile. The only reason I bought it was because it was at horrorfind for a decent price of $20.

r_burgos2003
08-19-2003, 03:07 AM
Great review dude!!! I really want that dvd. But I'm region locked :( And can't get a region free player for a while

Grim
08-19-2003, 08:25 PM
If you have a PS2, just get the Gameshark 2 version 2 or 3, they allow for all regions to be played. I still haven't found out a way for it to convert PAL, I guess my Ichi the Killer 2-Disc set will have to wait.:(

H0MOSareGAY
08-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by r_burgos2003
Great review dude!!! I really want that dvd. But I'm region locked :( And can't get a region free player for a while if you have access to a good computer with a DVD-r drive, and a little free time, you can decrypt the DVD, change the region (and do a PAL/NTSC conversion if needed) if the disk is a DVD-9 then you have to split into two DVDs. I did this with with my friends 28 days later DVD, and it really isn't all that hard. For help, go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com

DANCE BITCH! DANCE!!! :fire: :banana:

r_burgos2003
08-19-2003, 11:26 PM
I just have a dvd-rom/cd-rom on a Windows 98 Compaq computer....could it still work? Thanks.

r_burgos2003
08-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Has anyone found a site selling this figure? Keep a look out for it. I would've said to look for it at Horrorfind but that's over.

H0MOSareGAY
08-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by r_burgos2003
I just have a dvd-rom/cd-rom on a Windows 98 Compaq computer....could it still work? Thanks. You could make SVCDs, but you would never get all the features and quality of a DVD, I would bet money that there is another, slightly less complicated way thought, I will ask around and send you a private message if I find anything. (note, this may end up being more complicated than you would like, I tend to get a little crazy when it comes to stuff like this. I once spent three weeks of 18 hour days, nothing but work, just to save twenty bucks...)

r_burgos2003
08-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks man, I really want to play some other regions here. Cutting Class here I come.

onebyone
08-21-2003, 07:37 AM
That is very much how I felt about the disc, I for sure thought it was worth double dipping for. I was especially pleased it wasn't as damn dark as the region one disc is, it was nice being able to see every scene. I loved the documentary; I would have double dipped for that alone. A lot of folks, including me, were worried it was the same from Jason X so it was very good to see that it wasn't.

ekent
08-21-2003, 04:10 PM
I watched the doc. last night, very cool. Betsy Palmer's portion was especially interesting. It's funny how Cunningham thought that using Jason for the sequel was a horrible idea.

I'll see if I can toss some screen shot comparisons together later on. I'll keep you posted.

rxfiend
08-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Latency
Maybe the R3 isn't anamorphic.

the R3 dvd IS anamorphic. personally i think it looks great. i haven't seen the Paramount R1 dvd, so i can't compare. but it's the best i've seen the film look ever.

Grim
08-23-2003, 09:14 PM
I went over a friend's house and checked out his Paramount DVD and i must say that I prefer the R3 transfer way over the R1's. In fact upon looking at it I'd say it's even clearer than the R1, so I take back my above statements about the R1 being clearer. It's a shame that Warner didn't have domestic rights, maybe all this uncut fiasco stuff would've been taken care of a long time ago. One thing I'm curious about, does Warner own the rights to the rest of the series?

rxfiend
08-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by MrGrim13
One thing I'm curious about, does Warner own the rights to the rest of the series?

unfortunately, no... :cry: