PDA

View Full Version : Final Destination DVD Review

Mortis
08-20-2003, 03:36 AM
Final Destination (2000)
New Line Home Entertainment

Info from DVD Empire (http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000458745508&item_id=17232)

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/17232h.jpg

Features:

Interactive Menus

Filmmaker Commentary by James Wong, Glen Morgan, James Coblentz, and Jeffrey Reddick

Actor Commentary by Devon Sawa, Kerr Smith, Kristin Cloke, and Chad E. Donella

5.1 Isolated Score and Commentary with Composer Shirley Walker

Deleted Scenes And Alternate Ending

Two Original Documentaries:

Test Screenings - The Filmmakers and studio executives reveal the process of test marketing and the impact this has on the storyline of Final Destination

Premonitions - Meet Pam Coronado, a real life intuitive investigator who taps her psychic skills to help crime fighters crack unsolved mysteries.

Theatrical Trailer

DVD-ROM Features:

Read The Screenplay While Watching The Film

Internet Access! The Original Theatrical Website Including: The "Death Clock" (See How Long You Have To Live), Animated Postcards (Mail A Daily Terror Card To A Friend), Psychic Games and More!

Video:

Widescreen 1.85:1 Color (Anamorphic)

Audio:

ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Surround [CC]

Here we go again, another review from someone who has no idea how to review, but what the fuck.

The basis of the story is that the lead character (Devon Sawa) can foresee events that will happen before they actually do. The problem with this is that whoever he saves must die.. eventually. I think you can see where this is going.

The audio and video on this disc are really nice. I won't get into all of that because I don't really have the equipment to go over this disc with a fine comb, but it looks and sounds great as far as I can tell.

There are a bunch of extras on this disc, including two commentaries. The first one with the filmmakers is pretty informative and doesn't have much silence. The second one with the actors shouldn't be taken seriously. It's basically some members of the cast bullshitting throughout the movie. I found both commentaries satisfactory, though. They even talked about shitting in the cast commentary. The one featurette about test screening is pretty good. At one point they're talking about how they leave a questionnaire for people to fill out and find some pretty fucked up answers. One of the funnier ones was something along the lines of "How did you like the movie?" and some of the responses were stuff like "gay" and "needs more shitting". Although childish of the people to fill it out that way, I found it amusing.

The special effects are done pretty well. While not as extreme as Final Destination 2, the deaths are adequate. There's one death scene in particular that was pretty sweet, but I'll let you experience that for yourself.

Overall I really enjoyed this movie and disc. I saw the second one before I saw the first one, so my expectations were high. This one isn't nearly as brutal as the second one, but there's enough here to keep you interested. I don't have any problems recommending this film.

Andrew
08-20-2003, 06:47 AM
Nice review. My only request would be that you give more opinions in the review. But otherwise, good job. I've had this disc forever (since the day I got my DVD player actually) and liked the movie when I got it. Haven't seen it for awhile though.

Mortis
08-20-2003, 08:32 AM
Had to fix some typos.

Thanks, and thanks for the tip. :)

If you liked the first one, I'd recommend checking out the second one. I think it's worth getting just to see the ending sequence, but there are a lot of nice death scenes. They're so fucked up that you have to laugh, especially the last one. I think you'll enjoy the opening sequence, too.

Andrew
08-20-2003, 09:23 AM
Yeah I've been meaning to rent it for awhile now. I'll try to check it out soon.

Grim
08-23-2003, 03:35 AM
Nice review Mortis, I own the disc and think its swell as well. In my opinion Final Destination 2 far surpasses the original. I liked the first one, but I liked how the second one wasn't as serious, and had alot of dark humor, and just really went for the balls with alot of the deaths.

Mortis
08-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Yes, I definately agree. I saw the second one first, so I had to lower my expectations when watching this one. The second one is a lot of fun.