PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Bay's New Evil Dead

DVD Connoisseur
01-22-2001, 11:25 PM
Over at DVD Review, there's news on the forthcoming (well, towards the end of the year?) AB release of Evil Dead. As Sam Raimi is tied up with Spiderman (not in a kinky way!), he's passed the responsibilities of producing the DVD to Bruce Campbell. Sam was going to work on a letterbox version of his original 16mm short (!) but this may now be on the back burner. I thought that Raimi wasn't in favour of this short being shown anyway, but if he was considering it, I really hope this feature makes it onto the DVD. I'd purchase the DVD for the original short alone. With Bruce on board, we're guaranteed a superb commentary. I'm excited at the prospect of this S.E. What are your hopes for this release?

rhett
01-22-2001, 11:42 PM
All I want is a new commentary and Within The Woods. Keep the same transfer used on the first DVD. Do all this, and I'm a happy camper...

suspiria
01-22-2001, 11:59 PM
I personally don't see the advantages in getting this coming release. I have the Elite Entertainment Collector's Edition DVD and the image and audio quality is very good. The commentary is also hilarious with commentaries with Bruce and Sam.

What more could you want apart from Within The Woods?

------------------
My DVD List (http://www.dvd.net.au/my_list.cgi?redowl)

hojimoji
01-23-2001, 12:10 AM
Aside from Within The Woods, it would be nice to see a featurette on the making of the movie, maybe tracking down some of the cast for some memories.

G.

P.S. Lots of Bruce Campbell. That man is too funny. Anything he could have to say about the movie(s) I would listen to.

[This message has been edited by hojimoji (edited 01-22-2001).]

Zombie Keeper
01-23-2001, 12:28 AM
I'm looking forward to this because I don't own Evil Dead on DVD yet. So I'm eagerly awaiting this one.

Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur:
Over at DVD Review, there's news on the forthcoming (well, towards the end of the year?) AB release of Evil Dead. As Sam Raimi is tied up with Spiderman (not in a kinky way!), he's passed the responsibilities of producing the DVD to Bruce Campbell. Sam was going to work on a letterbox version of his original 16mm short (!) but this may now be on the back burner. I thought that Raimi wasn't in favour of this short being shown anyway, but if he was considering it, I really hope this feature makes it onto the DVD. I'd purchase the DVD for the original short alone. With Bruce on board, we're guaranteed a superb commentary. I'm excited at the prospect of this S.E. What are your hopes for this release?

------------------
Zombie Keeper
ZombieKeeper.com (http://www.zombiekeeper.com/)
Horror Movie Reviews, Chat, Message Boards, and more...

Styx
01-23-2001, 12:34 AM
I don't think Anchor Bay will be using the same transfer that Elite used for their Special Edition. I remember reading somewhere not too long ago (perhaps the last Home Theater Forum chat) that Anchor Bay will be taking the new transfer from the original camera negative.

It will be interesting to see what the results are given the dramatic differences between Anchor Bay's new transfer of Evil Dead 2 and the previous versions.

What I'd really like to see in this new release is a commentary with Bruce and Sam together. Elite's disc has commentaries from both but they are separate. As good as Bruce's solo commentary is I'd like to hear both him and Sam talk about the film together similar to the commentary on Evil Dead 2.

Mark Relford
01-23-2001, 01:11 AM
Yeah, that Elite disc was outstanding! It'll be hard for Anchor Bay to top that one. Just give me the Within the Woods short and I'll be a happy man.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

TobalRox
01-23-2001, 01:27 AM
it will be a new transfer. They are making a THX certified transfer just as they did with Evil Dead 2, and the Elite disc was not THX.

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

Django
01-23-2001, 07:43 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again.

Without Within the Woods, I ain't buying it.

AceRimRat
01-23-2001, 07:54 PM
I find very little wrong with my Elite disc, too. So unless "Within the Woods" is on it and the image/sound are MUCH, MUCH better, I won't be buying a new version, either.

Salisnoir
01-24-2001, 01:05 AM
If they put WITHIN THE WOODS on the disc, it will have to be with an entirely new soundtrack since the music used is all copyrighted by a lot of different sources.