PDA

View Full Version : Squirm

patmcgahern
08-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Movie- 8/10
As you probably know Squirm is "That" killer worm flick, and while a bit dated in some aspects others seem as fresh now as they will ever be. A great creature feature with top notch acting and FX by guru Rick Baker. Squirm is worth a blind buy even if you havent seen it. A great night in!

Picture- 8/10
While I fear the 1.85:1 OAR on presentation here seems to be masking off a little information from the bottom and a larger piece of the top while adding only a sliver to the sides, it is still miles ahead of any previous incarnation with minimal grain, most natural grain appears in the night scenes while all other appears in the stock footage as it was originally presented.

Sound- 7/10
While only served in mono the audio is still fairly active and at all times remains crisp and clear, a nice presentation although a 5.1 remix would not of went astray.

Extras- 7/10
Not to heavy in this department but what we get is solid enough and the commentary track is gold. The trailer is pretty standard stuff and while an effective piece of marketing it was still fairly bland and the accompanying tv spot seems to be just the trailer shortened to half. The commentary is superb and really warrants maybe more than a few listens. Lieberman starts off with a classic quote where he seems pretty pissed about "mystery space science show 2000 or whatever that thing was called" and really sets the tone for the rest of the commentary track, discussing lots of interesting trivia (Kim Bassinger and Sylvester Stallone were originally cast) and goes fairly indepth on the filmmaking process while not getting boring.

Overall- 8/10
A great disc and hats off once again to MGM who are really beginning to shine!

-Stay tuned for "Of Unknown Origin"

r_burgos2003
08-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Great review. Dunno why he's pissed about MST3K when that's what got me and others interested in his movie! :D

Zodiac-Mindwarp
08-24-2003, 12:21 AM
I am really looking forward to getting this on Tuesday.

Widescreen and Uncut! Wonderful! :banana:

hell ya!
08-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Nice review! Can't wait for my copy to arrive.:banana:

Cujo108
08-24-2003, 04:18 AM
. Dunno why he's pissed about MST3K when that's what got me and others interested in his movie!

Not me. MST3K is a shitty show if you ask me, and I'm glad they didn't include it.

Got my disc today. Love this film, and can't wait to go through the supplements!

betterdan
08-24-2003, 04:19 AM
Got the disc and I agree with everything you said pat. Well except I would have gave the movie 10/10:)

onebyone
08-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Oh man, I have loved this movie for so long, when they would play it late night on TBS. I can't wait for my disc. I am so happy to hear it kicks ass.

RyanPC
08-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Nice review, I have to agree this disc kicks major ass. I like the movie, but was a bit disappointed that I didn't like it near as much as I thought I would. Either way, MGM did a fantastic job with this disc. :)

joltaddict
10-25-2004, 05:37 PM
I just saw this and it was WAY better than I expected.

Hellbilly
10-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Makes a great double feature with Slugs :)

Mortis
10-25-2004, 08:08 PM
I like Slugs way more than Squirm. The only good part of Squirm is the boat scene.

Makes a great double feature with Slugs :)

dwatts
10-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Squirm is a really good film, much better than I thought it would be. Really must applaud the quality of the transfer though, the thing looks amazing. I don't own Slugs, but you're making me jealous.

Mortis
10-26-2004, 01:17 AM
You owe it to yourself to see Slugs atleast one.

Squirm is a really good film, much better than I thought it would be. Really must applaud the quality of the transfer though, the thing looks amazing. I don't own Slugs, but you're making me jealous.

walkingdude
10-26-2004, 01:28 AM
You owe it to yourself to see Slugs atleast one.
Squirm and Slugs are great!They also have 2 of the best cover art pictures.

dwatts
10-26-2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks, just added it to my wish list at DDD, $9 :)