PDA

View Full Version : Rocketship X-M

dwatts
08-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Finally watched this one (I picked it up in London for $8.)

If you are into these 1950 sci-fi films (and this one was literally made in 1950) then you're going to overlook bad FX. After all, that's really where you either love or hate these types of films (okay, so silly dialogue has to be overlooked too).

So, that aside, what do you all think of this one? I found it a little hard going, with most of the film being pre-surface landing. The use of Sepia color to represent Mars is a nice touch - but the "mutants" were uninspired.

As an historical piece though, it really shines. Glad to have it in my collection, especially at this price.

Jimbo
08-24-2003, 10:17 PM
I heard this was such a good movie that i bought it.And to my surprise i was a little bit disipointed.To slow going.I still prefer ,The day the earth stood still,War of the worlds,Earth vs flying saucer,This island earth to this one anyday.

dwatts
08-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Well, it is surely not top-tier, like the titles you mentioned. The ones you list had a lot more money spent on them, for sure. But as I noted, this is a bit slow going, so we agree on that. But what about the ending? That would never do that in a film today :)

Mind you, I don't regret buying it, and think I will watch it again. I'm just glad this type of film made it to DVD, to be honest.

Jimbo
08-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Agreed,I did like the ending,Just getting up to that point i found it to be a bit slow.Buy i am with you that it is still good to have it on dvd.