PDA

View Full Version : January 15th is almost here

Dave
01-09-2001, 07:30 PM
Return Of The Living Dead, The (DVD) (Region 2 13.49 (was 14.99)
-------
Total: 13.49
-------

ACK! I can't wait for this one! My impressions of PAL, Region 2 DVDs have changed immensely after watching some of Last House on the Left PAL DVD - what an amazing transfer that was! The Hollywood Plus does an incredible job converting it to NTSC, and the results are stunning. Unless it falls apart towards the end of the movie, this is certainly the best PAL transfer I've ever seen.

Return of the Living Dead DVD is coming from a different company, but I hope the quality is just as good.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

DVD Connoisseur
01-09-2001, 10:33 PM
Region 2 DVDs are certainly improving, Dave.

Personally, I'm excited about the Tartan releases - loads of Argento movies (some of which are still to be released in the US) and The Ring films. I don't know what the quality of Tartan releases are like but I expect they'll deliver the goods.

chrishicks
01-09-2001, 10:40 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a DVD player that will play PAL discs? I want to get a few of these releases but am unclear to what player to buy. I was going to buy an Apex player but I remember seeing somewhere that it only plays region 1 PAL DVD's which I believe is just a typo but I thought I should ask. I've never heard of a region 1 PAL DVD and I don't think they exist but I guess I could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
01-09-2001, 11:25 PM
chrishicks

Just get a Hollywood Plus decoder card! You use it in your computer with a DVD-ROM. It has S-Video Output, DTS+DD5.1 sound capability and you can get a remote control for it too! If your DVD-ROM isn't hard coded for a region via firmware, you can easily play Region 2 PAL DVDs on the Hollywood Plus card.

It should run you $50 or $60. Best investment I've made for my DVD collection!

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Funktion
01-10-2001, 02:23 PM
Cross you fingers!
The last time it got delayed (several months), it was just a couple of days before it's release...

evileye
01-10-2001, 02:35 PM
I must admit the though of getting my hands on this disc is overwhelming.

Question: have they released the technical specs? Is it widescreen? Mono or surround? Any extras?

chrishicks
01-10-2001, 04:55 PM
Is there any other way to play this disc other that a card for my pc? My computer is like 50 feet away from my tv and I only have a 15" monitor, which is too small to watch a movie on my computer. Also I don't have a DVD drive yet either.

chrishicks
01-10-2001, 07:32 PM
I remember seeing an Apex player somewhere. Would that player do an ok job of the PAL to NTSC conversion or could you recommend a different player that might be better. Also could you recommend a place to buy it too? Thanks for any help you may have.

evileye
01-10-2001, 10:26 PM
The new APEX players do not have the loophole function anymore, but the older ones on EBAY still do (and they usually tell you so).

I say check out the IINFINITY DV2020 or 2060 from INC TECHNOLOGIES (WWW.INC-TECH.COM)which feature the same loophole and a reasonable price (around 260.00). DVDFILE even has a review of it in their database.

It works for me http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

evileye
01-11-2001, 06:31 AM
Well, you could buy another DVD player with region cheats. The older APEX players are on ebay, but some companies sell similar players (at reasonable prices). And they convert PAL to NTSC!

napalm68
01-13-2001, 10:31 AM
Dave - the Last House on the Left you saw, was that the French release? Can you get rid of the subtitles with the english soundtrack?

Oh, yeah, regarding Return of the Living Dead, it is from VCI, and they suck. Their Hellraiser 3 is like an early anchor bay abomination...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

[This message has been edited by napalm68 (edited 01-13-2001).]

ArrowBeach
01-13-2001, 05:21 PM
well as you probably know, it is part 3, not the first one coming out on the 15th. Since I am a fan of Melinda Clarke, I will buy it anyway!

charles
01-16-2001, 05:14 PM
I dont want to get anyones panties up in a bunch but Return of the living dead is not coming out on dvd its a typo error.Heres a link to the info
http://www.horrordvds.com/#news6

Charles