PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dario Argento Film

MovieFan
06-25-2001, 04:16 AM
We've had this poll on the front page before, yes I know, but there were only 5 choices and a good amount of people (okay like 15% :D) picked other. So why not have this poll again? :) Some people might not have been visiting this site before that, so now they can vote in this poll, and I also have more choices than what the front page had. :)

Mattster
06-25-2001, 10:34 PM
Phenomena rarely comes out on top in any poll like this. I wonder how long it will be in the lead. :D

life_o_petey
06-26-2001, 12:54 AM
i'm surprised i'm the only one that voted for tenebre:eek:

Heaven17
06-26-2001, 01:16 AM
@ll: Maybe it matters that Phenomena at this Time in Europe just as 2 Disc-Special Edition released ! :)
IMHO the US-Fans votes more for Suspiria and Tenebrae, is at all a difference between US-Fans and Europe-Fans .......? http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/otn/confused/xolconfused.gif

Mattster
06-26-2001, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Heaven17
@ll: Maybe it matters that Phenomena at this Time in Europe just as 2 Disc-Special Edition released ! :)
IMHO the US-Fans votes more for Suspiria and Tenebrae, is at all a difference between US-Fans and Europe-Fans .......? http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/otn/confused/xolconfused.gif

I don't think too many people are happy about the new Phenomena SE. :eek:

DVD Connoisseur
06-26-2001, 01:41 AM
I've seen Opera countless times as somebody taped it for me in those dim and distant days prior to LD and DVD....I'm lucky to have also caught the movie on one of its few showings in the UK (at a Black Sunday horror film festival in the early '90s).

It's an impressive mix of suspense, jaw-dropping set-pieces and a great score. Recommended viewing to giallo fans and anybody who likes their thrills and spills stylish and inventive.

Roll on the limited edition AB version. I cannot wait.......

Paff
06-26-2001, 01:53 AM
If Opera ends up looking as good as Deep Red, it may make me want to change my vote. My "favorite" Argento film is a rotating mix of Suspiria, Deep Red, and Phenomena. Never having seen a widescreen uncut version of Opera is what keeps it out of that top rotation, but of course that may change real soon.
If I saw the original dubbing of The Stendhal Syndrome, I'd have to consider that too.

Tenebrae is a perennial "second teamer" for me. Great movie, but enough flaws that will always make it a step below Deep Red, Suspiria, and Phenomena.

Andrew
06-26-2001, 06:53 AM
Haha, I'm the first to choose Bird...

I like Deep Red and Suspiria better, but Bird... is one helluva film, IMHO.

MacReady
06-26-2001, 08:37 AM
I had to choose between Tenebre and Phenomena. I flipped a coin.

(I can't believe I voted against my beloved Jennifer Connelly.)

MovieFan
06-26-2001, 09:00 AM
A Dario Argneto poll where Phenomena is winning, if wonders ever ceased! :)

(And by the way, for those of you wondering, I voted for Phenomena after I posted this thread.)

AceRimRat
06-26-2001, 09:56 PM
I voted for Phenomena, which I like just a little better than Tenebre and Deep Red.

I've never seen Suspiria uncut, or Opera at all (hurry up, AB! :p ) so I didn't want to vote for them.

But Phenomena is one of the few horror films that actually turned my stomach. Something to be said for that.

NickyDoyle
06-28-2001, 05:42 AM
Weird, I just thought Phenomena was pretty good. It's a fun film, but I prefer his giallo's over his supernatural films. To give credit where credit is due, Phenomena made me jump a little bit at the end with the kid (though not as much of a jump as Tenebre or Inferno). Phen is a good film, but in my opinion not Argento's best.

Andrew
06-28-2001, 09:50 PM
I agree ND. I liked Phenomena, it was weird (in a good way), and I'll admit the "kid" (*cough*, midget, *cough*) was creepy. The pit o' maggots made my skin crawl and all that, and Jennifer Connelley (sp) is definitely hot, but I still don't see how people can put it up over Deep Red and Suspiria. Deep Red is a classic, and Suspiria should be the first foreign horror movie you see IMO. Anyway, enough of this, basically, I thought Phenomena was great, but nowhere near Deep Red or Suspriria.

The Chaostar
06-29-2001, 03:03 AM
I am the one who voted for Stendhal...

LOVEGIRLS
07-01-2001, 12:59 AM
The well done gory murders,the way that the killer prevents her from closing her eyes...Opera.
:D

Black_Mandarin
07-02-2001, 10:20 PM
Not suprised Phenomena and Suspiria are at the top. Dario really shines when he is being more whacked out and surreal instead of a more sadistic Hitchcock like in Deep Red, Trauma, or Tenebre.

Still, to this day its been about ten yrs (TEN YEARS!!!) since I've seen Opera, back on Joe Bob's Drive in Theater on the Movie Channel, and I remember being so blown away by it. I almost bought it used on video the other day at a pawn shop, but I decided to hold out for that Anchor Bay DVD. These past two yrs since Anchor announced Opera have been killing me. Hurry up.