PDA

View Full Version : Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers Opinions?

RyanPC
08-27-2003, 07:13 AM
I've never seen these movies and am debating whether or not to get them in a blind buy. Are they any good? I'll appreciate any responses to this thread. :)

rxfiend
08-27-2003, 08:11 AM
i believe dvddrive-in.com has a review of it.

RyanPC
08-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by rxfiend
i believe dvddrive-in.com has a review of it.

Cool, I'll check it out.

I also just found that my dad had Burnt Offerings on a tape that one of his friends recorded on TV. I doubt he knew he even had it, and I doubt he's ever heard of the movie, but I found it and just got done watching it for the first time. There's one DVD I'm definitely gonna get because I really enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll enjoy Countess Dracula and The Vampire Lovers just as much. :)

dwatts
08-27-2003, 10:51 AM
THey are both brilliant films! I have both on R2 DVDs, so i cannot talk directly about the quality of this release. However, as films they are both immensely enjoyable.

Neither is very gory, But if you like Ingrid Pitt, well, let's say there is some nudity. And in Vampire Lovers, she mostly loves.... well..... women.... The site ferenced is a US based site, so when they say "The first time on home video" they mean in the US - not the frist time ever (since the scenes they refer to have ben out in R2 for over a year).

On a more serious note, storys are good, performances great, and I think they hold up very well indeed. At the price of this body pack, there is no way you can go wrong.

RyanPC
08-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
THey are both brilliant films! I have both on R2 DVDs, so i cannot talk directly about the quality of this release. However, as films they are both immensely enjoyable.

Neither is very gory, But if you like Ingrid Pitt, well, let's say there is some nudity. And in Vampire Lovers, she mostly loves.... well..... women.... The site ferenced is a US based site, so when they say "The first time on home video" they mean in the US - not the frist time ever (since the scenes they refer to have ben out in R2 for over a year).

On a more serious note, storys are good, performances great, and I think they hold up very well indeed. At the price of this body pack, there is no way you can go wrong.

I read the review and they both sound very cool! It's now on my wish list. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

mutleyhyde
08-28-2003, 04:01 AM
Vampire Lovers is great! Get it! I've actually never seen Countess Dracula, but I will this weekend. :banana:

Moving to Classics :evil:

RyanPC
08-28-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
Vampire Lovers is great! Get it! I've actually never seen Countess Dracula, but I will this weekend. :banana:

Moving to Classics :evil:

WOOHOO! I think this makes history-- my first thread to be moved, I think! :banana:

I've read a couple reviews, and they are making my mouth water for these movies! Hopefully, they'll be on my next big order along with some other MGM DVDs. :evil:

Behemoth
08-28-2003, 11:49 AM
I watched "The Vampire Lovers" last night for the first time, and it was great! One of my favorite Hammers, I think. Ingrid Pitt is YUMMY. The DVD is great, but unfortunately the "Countess Dracula" transfer isn't anamorphic... I have this one on R2 DVD, uncut and anamorphically enchanced, so it's not a problem for me, though...

BTW, the UK R2 DVD of "The Vampire Lovers" is fullscreen and CUT, so the R1 version is clearly the one to get.

R. I. P.
08-29-2003, 07:17 AM
I've just placed an order for "Vampire Lovers/Countess Dracula" as I've been a great fan of these terrific movies for several years. Both ooze the luscious Hammer atmosphere and Ingrid Pitt is magnificent in both. My order also included "Comedy Of Terrors/The Raven" and the excellent Spaghetti Western, "Companeros". :banana:

"Comedy Of Terrors" is truly hysterical and a great majority of viewers should relish Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Basil Rathbone, and Boris Karloff in this wonderful spoof of horror movies. I guarantee you several belly laughs watching this classic! :D

R. I. P. :glasses:

Ash28M
08-31-2003, 09:33 PM
I just got a chance to watch Vampire Lovers last night. I wasn't bad, better then your average Hammer Film. It must of been an eye opener in 1970 when it was released, you didn't see much nutity and Lesbianizm in films back then, expecially in a hammer film. Overall i would give it my recommendation.