PDA

View Full Version : GHOUL (heads up)

Jimbo
08-28-2003, 06:19 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that i watched the ghoul (karloff)Last night and it was great.The transfer was very nice for a 70 year old movie.In fact this is one of the better transfers i have seen considering the age of the film.Good movie and story and of corse acting.No exteras to be forund what so ever but for the price it is well worth the disk.

MaxRenn
08-31-2003, 03:17 AM
I watched this today and actually was a little disappointed. The movie moves very slowly, some of the acting is stilted and the thrills are just not there - the film plays more like a mystery/thriller. Karloff is the best thing about it but he's not really in it enough.

dwatts
08-31-2003, 12:44 PM
I really must pick this one up. Stilted acting in an 70 year old film? Nah, couldn't be ;)

Jimbo
08-31-2003, 05:10 PM
Well every one has there oppinion.I myself loved it.Then again i like black and white horror.And the transfer was to die for considering the age.

MaxRenn
08-31-2003, 11:58 PM
Jimbo, I love the old black and white horror movies too but felt that "The Ghoul" was just average and certainly didn't hold up to the other horrors of the 30s. Agree on the transfer on. I'll certainly give it another look.

dwatts, I know that "stilted acting" is part of the package with old movies. :D It's just that the movie is so pedestrian that it really begins to wear after a while.

dwatts
09-01-2003, 12:29 AM
Dude, you're just making me want to buy it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jimbo
09-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Understandable Maxrenn! I watched another Karloff new release today.The devil commands!More on the sci fi leval than horror but a good film none the less.I still like Ghoul better.And the transfer on ghool is much better than devil commands.

MaxRenn
09-01-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
Dude, you're just making me want to buy it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Go ahead, dwatts. Just don't come crying back to the board after you find out the truth. :)

marioscido
09-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by MaxRenn
I watched this today and actually was a little disappointed. The movie moves very slowly, some of the acting is stilted and the thrills are just not there - the film plays more like a mystery/thriller. Karloff is the best thing about it but he's not really in it enough.

I kindda agree with Max here. I finally watched it last night and thought it was a little silly, but wonderfully silly. What I really don't like about the film is how it throws away [spoiler] the supernatural dimension of the narrative and turns into a suspense/thriller jewel caper.

However, the set design/foggy mood of the film is quite beautiful and the shots of the ghoulish Karloff walking about are a feast for the eyes - even though we really don't know why he looked so ghoulish to begin with! The restoration/transfer work is very good, especially if one compares it to "The Devil Commands," which is almost double the price. For these reasons, don't pass it up, especially if you are a fan of 30s horror.

MGM should be praised for releasing a great transfer of an obscure film of 30s horror at affordable prices.

mgfred
09-15-2003, 08:01 AM
I just finished watching "The Ghoul". There were some comments on IMDB that this was a 'lost' movie and a copy had been found in Prague in the 80's and was in appalling shape. I found the sound and picture to be amazing if this was actually restored from that copy. Overall I found it enjoyable!

Gutwrencher
09-17-2003, 08:27 AM
I also love the dvd and enjoy the film. the only thing that pissed me off....they make a big deal with an anniversary edition and it comes bare-bones with no blow-out special features. piss poor cover art too. that aside....my library needed this title.

onebyone
09-21-2003, 12:35 PM
I think the film is so so, but it is just cheesy enough to win my heart. Cheese rules. However, I was impressed with the print and the sound, it was much better than say "Bride of Reanimator." MGM did a great job with this I think.

dwatts
08-03-2004, 01:56 AM
--I watched another Karloff new release today.The devil commands!More on the sci fi leval than horror but a good film none the less.I still like Ghoul better--

Did the same today - The Devil Commands is better, imo.