PDA

View Full Version : Doomwatch

dwatts
08-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Nice little British horror film this. It enjoys a setting very much like The Wicker Man, a strange cornish island, inbred inhabitants, and a dislike of "modern" people and technologies.

Directed by Peter Sasby, whose Hammer work I really enjoy, it moves pretty well all considering. It does come across as strangely unemotional, even cold, but that suits the locale. I also don't recall another horror film where the "monsters" simply break down crying in the climatic scene (horror films don't often allow their monsters to become trully human).

Yeah, there is some rather harsh switching between the isnald storyline, and the London based offices of Doomwatch. Actually, they're a bit jarring and mark the films only weakness. And for once, the military is innocent. But overall, I'd have to say it works for me, a high recommendation if you don't mind British horror that doesn't mind taking its time.

The TV series on which this was based souds awesome, although I confess I've never actually seen it. Wonder if that will ever hit DVD? We can only hope.

studio1
08-29-2003, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up:) - might have to check this out, As
I remember watching Doomwatch many eons ago:D
(showing my age now)

S1

dwatts
08-29-2003, 03:45 AM
The movie or the series? If the series, was it as good as it sounds?

ps: This is a bare bones no frills disc from Image - I got it at DDD for under $8.

studio1
08-30-2003, 12:53 AM
It was the series I remember watching - I cannot recall a lot of the episodes, But the one that stays in my mind, was the one about some rats.

The show must have been pretty good as I used to be out most of the time, but recall hurrying back to watch this and another great series Journey into the Unknown.

Uk gold showed a rerun of Doomwatch a few years ago now - If it's ever on again I'll tape them!!!

Here's some info I found on Doomwatch the series.

A feature length pilot for a proposed 'NEW' series was aired by Channel 5 in the UK on Tuesday 7th December 1999 at 9pm. This 2 hour feature had Trevor Eve as the lead character in an update, with actor Philip Stone portraying an elderly Spencer Quist.

Doomwatch (http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.culley/doomwatch.htm) .

S1

Jimbo
08-31-2003, 09:43 PM
I enjoyed this film also.It would be nice to see the series on dvd to.