PDA

View Full Version : Alien

Paff
08-30-2003, 11:54 AM
OK, what are the opinions of Alien on LD?

I've had the single disc, THX remastered, Dolby Digital 5.1 version for years, and enjoy it immensely.

A couple of years ago, I had the chance to get the CAV Special Edition box set for 5 bucks, and jumped on it. Well, last night I watched it. Now, the sound is totally flat compared to the THX version (to be expected), but it's a totally different video transfer as well. The CAV disc is 10X brighter, with a lot more detail. The THX disc is dark and murky.

First of all, it's proof that the Halloween DVD fiasco is not a new issue; new discs often have radically different transfers. But does anyone have both, and have a preference? (And don't say buy the DVD, I think 2 copies are more than enough...)

Agent Z
09-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Interesting. I've actually been revisiting the ALIEN series lately, getting ready for the Halloween rerelease of ALIEN in the theaters (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808488499&intl=us ).

The only version that I own of ALIEN is the CAV boxset (which I have been pleased with...it is a very nice, sharp transfer) and I was thisclose to buying the single disc version until I heard about the upcoming ALIEN QUADRILOGY boxset coming out in November. So, for now, I'll just wait to see how the latest ALIEN transfer fares.....and how much it will differ from the previous ones, in terms of extra footage...........

Paff
09-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Don't get me wrong, the single disc version is nice (though, at this point, it's easier to just buy the DVD), and has great sound. I was just surprised that the older, non-THX, CAV version looked so much better.

Agent Z
02-07-2004, 04:06 PM
I just watched the Director's Cut dvd and now I have to agree that the picture is WAY too dark! Initially, I thought I was just holding onto my CAV boxset for the extras, but it appears now that I'll still be watching the film on laserdisc anyway.

wago70
02-09-2004, 05:28 PM
I, too, must agree about the terrific picture on the CAV disc set. I had the THX version myself and thought the dark, murky picture was my eyes playing tricks on me. It's a good picture, but I prefer the CAV version. Also, the THX version makes things look a little vertically stretched - just ever so slightly compared the DVD or the CAV disc.

Paff
02-10-2004, 03:11 AM
Doesn't that just suck?

When there's several different versions of a film out, and each version has one facet that's the best, yet there's not a version where everything is good??

Like, if you prefer the director's cut, you have to get the DVD, yet the video transfer on the CAV is the best, etc.

Same thing with Suspiria. The DVD has the best video, yet the sound on the LD is a lot better. What do you do? Synch up the LD audio with the DVD video?? Even I'm not that much of a geek.

Agent Z
02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Also, the THX version makes things look a little vertically stretched - just ever so slightly compared the DVD or the CAV disc.

Man, I'm glad you brought that up, because I thought I was seeing something else that wasn't there. I noticed it during one of my favorite scenes: where the Alien is approaching Lambert. There is an isolated shot of the Alien, slowly approaching and it looks awesome, as the image is stretched horizontally and helps further the emphasis on the elongated limbs of the Alien reaching out. The impact of that scene is lost on the THX transfer.