PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale (Best version - merged)

KillerCannabis
05-02-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm going to CompUSA in the next week or two to get an Apex DVD player and mod it so I can play any region I damn well please. I love Battle Royale more than anything right now and I wanted to know what region put out the BEST version available for this movie? I want the best copy possible. My only requirements are that its 16X9 and either English subtitles or dubbed. But I'm flexible on all that. Someone tell me the best version so I can get it. Thanks in advance.

Maupin
05-04-2002, 12:03 PM
The picture quality on the Japanese region 2 disc is very nice, but unfortunately it doesn't have English subtitles.

dlundh
05-04-2002, 02:55 PM
It's a tough call.

The R2Jap disc is not subtitled which means it's pretty much out of the question for us who don't understand japanese.

The R3-disc has DTS-sound that really rocks but the the film is not presented anamorphic. It still has very good picture quality though.

The R2UK-disc is anamorphic but has only 2-channel Dolby Digital sound.

I have the R3-disc and am very pleased with it.

Later this year a swedish 2-disc release of the movie will come out with both versions of the movie. If it will be subtitled in english is unknown to me.

dvdasia62
05-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Unless your Apex Player and mods turn out to include progressive scan and the pantera 2 chip, your anamorphic PAL widescreen discs are not going to convert properly to NTSC. The aspect ratio will be incorrect and the transfer will be squished or stretched. Some transfers may "look" fine and others will swear there is nothing wrong but it will be off and not look the way it's supposed to. It's a fact that you can't argue. You need progressive scan capabilities and the chip or your just wasting money on anamorphic PAL discs. However, if the PAL disc is a non-anamorphic widecreen transfer you'll be ok. Others who have an Apex or some other kind of player without the progressive scan will argue until they are blue in the face that their anamorphic PAL disc's look fine but either they don't know what they are talking about or are feeling the sting of getting what they pay for but quite simply they are lying unless they have the progressive scan capabilities and the pantera 2. You get what you pay for so be careful. Better off getting a player like the Malata which is the only machine that can properly do the job. No argument can be made against it, plain and simple. Those that argue it are bullshitting you and don't know what they are talking about. I mean this response to be positive in a good way becaue I dont like seeing people ripped off. :)

dlundh
05-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Ok, so here's the lowdown:

R2Jap: NTSC
R3: NTSC
R2UK: PAL
R2SE: PAL

DVD Connoisseur
05-12-2002, 12:15 PM
...last night and was pleased at the quality, especially taking into consideration the price.

Tartan in the UK are releasing an NTSC release. Here's what I've been able to glean from elsewhere (thanks, carnifern) -

Tartan Video has taken the challenge of the latest home entertainment innovation and has produced its first DVD to utilise NTSC progressive scan technology, currently a unique feature of NTSC players, now available in the UK. Progressive scan technology substantially enhances picture quality and the viewing experience as a whole, but while it remains a feature of NTSC DVD players only, this added value cannot be offered by DVDs made in the PAL format. Further enhanced features available on this NTSC release are the new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and the newly created digital subtitles which Tartan Video was unable to access for its original PAL release. Expect a release on May 27th.

Sounds an interesting development but I would have loved to hear news about a director's cut being released with English subs! I live in hope!

dlundh
05-13-2002, 09:32 AM
I've inquired about the swedish release to find out if it will have english subs, I also hinted that it might sell even better if it has them. ;)

I'll let you know what I find out.

dlundh
05-14-2002, 07:19 AM
Due to contractual obligations the swedish disc will have no english subs. Sorry.

dlundh
05-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Tartan UK are re-releasing Battle Royale in anamorphic NTSC with DD 5.1. This may very well be the first NTSC disc in the UK...?

I got this from http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/

DVD Connoisseur
05-15-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by dlundh
Tartan UK are re-releasing Battle Royale in anamorphic NTSC with DD 5.1. This may very well be the first NTSC disc in the UK...?

Is there an echo in here?:D

dlundh
05-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Read BEFORE I post. Read BEFORE I post. Sorry. ;)

DVD Connoisseur
05-15-2002, 11:42 PM
LOL! Hey, just goes to show, "Great minds think alike!":D

Azathoth
05-22-2002, 06:39 PM
I recently got ahold of a copy of BR on DVD. I am assuming its the R3 disk, but it may even be an R0 version of the R3 disk (not sure right now, just borrowed it from a friend). Its in non-anamorphic widescreen, Japanese language track w/English or Chinese subs.

I noticed 2 things straight off the bat. One, the disk has this overall greenish-blue tint on the picture throughout the whole movie. I probably would have never noticed it if I had not compared it to my BR VCD. While the VCD has a vastly lower quality, you can still see parts of the film (in particular, daylight scenes) that should be much brighter. Its not so horrible that the movie is unwatchable, but its noticeable if you've ever watched another version of it. Perhaps this is the way the movie is supposed to look, and I've just gotten used to the look of my VCD?

Another thing that caught my eye was the fact that the DVD cut the original intro out. On this DVD, the very first shot of the movie is of the bottom of the helicopter bringing in the winner of the previous BR. The VCD begins with a company logo over the sea crashing onto the rocks of the BR island, and then begins with a short intro with the BR logo in the background and some narration about the BR act.

ScaryMovieFreak
05-29-2002, 02:21 PM
I ordered the Region 3 DVD from Diabolikdvd the other day, I should get it by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to checking it out, the only bad thing is that it's the cut version.

dlundh
05-29-2002, 08:56 PM
There is no "cut" version of Battle Royale out on DVD.

The movie is available in 2 versions. One the first cut, the second labelled director's cut. The Dir Cut expands some character background from what I've heard.

R3 has not been censored and is not cut either way.

ScaryMovieFreak
05-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Ok, good. After I ordered it I read somewhere that someone said it was cut. Good thing that it isn't.

KillerCannabis
06-01-2002, 09:15 PM
I found a copy at Amoeba yesterday for $26. It was a PAL R0 disc with 16X9 and a few extras that I dont think were all that special. What is the running time on the uncut version of the movie? It's one of my favorite flicks of all time and I'd kill for a good copy on disc.

DeathDealer
01-26-2003, 05:46 AM
Which one is the Best.

And don't include the Tartan Tin Please.

mcchrist
01-26-2003, 05:56 AM
Well, the copy I have is the Region 3 disc that has the DTS track and a few trailers. The subs are alright, the sound is great, but not animorphic. Still, I've had no complaints with it.

Evil Disco Guy
01-26-2003, 06:01 AM
Original: Tartan R0 NTSC 5.1 DVD
Newer Version: Tartan R2 LE Tin (sorry, it's the best version out at the moment with English subs)

The HK R3 DVD is also great but not as good as the updated Tartan disc. It is cheaper though and features an okay DTS track.

DeathDealer
01-26-2003, 07:17 AM
I may perchase the MADSTAR one becasue of the features and DTS track.

Rainbowthief
01-26-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by DeathDealer

And don't include the Tartan Tin Please.
Why not? It blows all others away. The fact that you're asking which one to get leads me to believe that you are capable of playing DVDs from other regions and in PAL format, so is it the cost? If so, I believe Tartan also has a cheaper version of just the movie with a trailer. Check Diabolik.

Rainbowthief
01-26-2003, 10:30 AM
OK, I just checked and there is a Tartan NTSC all region version for $29.99

KillerCannabis
01-29-2003, 09:43 AM
I just got the Tartan 2-disc LE tin and it fucking rocks. I'll say that I feel the transfer on the NTSC R0 copy is :slightly: better than this one, but the added value of the extended scenes and ending make it fully worthwhile. And a second disc of bonus materials. If you're as big of a fan of the film as I am, this is the edition to have.

hassan chaup
01-29-2003, 03:47 PM
By all means the tin is worth it. I don't go in for frivolous crap as special editions but this is the shiznit me amigo. Picked mine up cheap at Amoeba in LA used and in mint condition. I would gladly pay retail for this version of Battle Royal!

DrJOnes666
03-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Hi.
I have a region free DVD player and I'm thinking of purchasing online a copy of Battle Royale since no R1 seem to be out yet.

I looked at YesAsia.com but there are a few versions, some of them being VCDs, and two of them being DVDs.
I'm thinking of getting the Battle Royale SE Director's cut (dts-2disc) (Korean Version). What's the big difference between the regular cut and the diretor's cut? Sometimes Director's Cuts tend to drag the film more than help it. Anyone has seen the two versions and can comment on it?

Mind you, I havn't seen the film and no almost nothing of it. Please no spoilers. I'd like to stay as fresh as possible to discover this baby.

Thanks.

DrJOnes666

Rainbowthief
03-15-2003, 11:19 AM
*cough* (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=36119&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

DeathDealer
03-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Don't go for the korean one becasue the special features are not subbed.

Grim
03-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Will there ever be an R1 release?:nervous:

DrJOnes666
03-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Where can I purchase the TIN UK edition?

DrJOnes666

John
03-15-2003, 08:23 PM
I got mine at Amazon UK!

DrJOnes666
03-15-2003, 08:28 PM
26 pounds? Are they crazy or what? That's 41$ US! 63$CAN!

John
03-16-2003, 01:27 AM
You can probably find it cheaper. They are very reputable and they had some other things I was looking for. I am pleased with my purchase though.

DrJOnes666
03-16-2003, 04:09 AM
I'm not paying over 45$CAN for a DVD, no way.

DrJOnes666

2D4EVER
03-16-2003, 05:07 AM
I've been hesitating on buying BR cause i hear the directors cut is somehow worse than the original but i want to see both. NO money.

Nasty Nate
03-28-2003, 06:53 AM
I just picked this up today at a local record store. Brutal flick. Can't recommend it enough.

Fart Lighter
03-28-2003, 06:27 PM
From what I've heard in numerous places the TIn version is an NTSC to PAL conversion, and a bad one at that. Go for Tartan's NTSC version, where they at least left it 'as is'.

Grim
06-02-2003, 03:34 AM
I don't understand how the UK, known for censorship and all, get's this movie released and the U.S. still doesn't. I guess I'll just have to wait until it's remade and Dreamworks will release with a new digitally remastered picture and a Dobly Digital 5.1 remix, all this for only $27.99!

Grim
08-30-2003, 10:08 PM
You can delete or merge this thread if there is already one, I apologize beforehand if that's the case.

Anyway, I bought this movie at Horrorfind and was absolutely amazed by it. I can't express how much I loved this film. It's even in my top 20 now. Everytime I watch it I love it even more. It has also sprung an interest in Asian cinema for me. It sucks that this film probably won't get a U.S. release, as I read about the company not wanting to license the rights to any distributors over here, but I have the film so I'm happy. I'm confused about one thing though. Is the version released by Starmax edited for violence, I know it's longer but is the violence edited?

DVD Connoisseur
08-31-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm merging this thread as there are several existing discussions going already (albeit starting to age). In fact, McGrim13, you actually contributed to one...:p:D

Grim
08-31-2003, 03:29 PM
My bad. I even did the search and all. I can be kind of thick headed sometimes.

Sinister Ash
09-04-2003, 08:05 PM
just get the Korean R3 disc. That's probably the best bang for the buck

Grim
09-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Great! That's the one I bought at Horrorfind.:banana:

mgfred
09-11-2003, 10:29 PM
I have the Korean R0 one, I have seen the Tartan R0 NTSC one and I don't think it's any better or worse picture quality wise. The special features on the Korean one are not in english, nor do they have english subs. A minor issue I think.

Grim
09-11-2003, 11:48 PM
I'm a dumbass. I have the Region 0 Korean, not the R3.:rolleyes: I plan on getting the Tin soon. Is it limited in any way? I'd like to know because there's a bunch of other stuff I want and if this isn't limited than I can pull it down a couple spots on my want list.

aoiookami
09-12-2003, 05:01 AM
on the topic of BR, is anyone else collecting the graphic novels? I really reccomend them if youre a BR fan. Because its print you get a deeper look into the characters pasts, and their motives during the game. Its really nicely (and often very graphically) illustrated by the same artist that did Apocalypse Zero.

Grim
09-12-2003, 08:52 PM
I saw them at Walden books, I plan on getting them after I purchase the book.

onebyone
06-11-2005, 05:45 PM
So, I finally saw this last night, and really, really, really loved it. I am wanting my own copy now, and am confused as to what the best version is, seeing as there seems to be a million of them. Has a great version come down since 2003, or does the information in here hold? Is there a rumored R1 47 disc special edition? Help.

thrashard76
06-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Not being region free, I hope that someone (BU, Tokyo Shock, Synapse etc.) gets a chance to release suped up versions of both BR and BR2. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Tartan releases them over here sometime soon.

Korngold
10-04-2006, 02:10 AM
http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/tartanntsc.html

I recently found this one over at diablolikdvd.com! I'm really excited I finally get the chance to see it!

Alan Smithee
10-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I just posted this in the other Battle Royale thread but I think it bears repeating:

I would stay away from the Tartan extended cut if I were you. Tartan fucked up the NTSC-to-PAL conversion and every second and a half or so the picture "stutters" just a little. To most people it isn't even noticeable but lucky me bought the tin and for me its unwatchable.

Korngold
10-04-2006, 11:25 PM
I just posted this in the other Battle Royale thread but I think it bears repeating:

I would stay away from the Tartan extended cut if I were you. Tartan fucked up the NTSC-to-PAL conversion and every second and a half or so the picture "stutters" just a little. To most people it isn't even noticeable but lucky me bought the tin and for me its unwatchable.

See I thought about buying that one, but thanks to the site posted above I caught wind of that bull honkey.

Yes, so stay away from the Tartan PAL SE of Battle Royale!

welb25
10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/tartanntsc.html

I recently found this one over at diablolikdvd.com! I'm really excited I finally get the chance to see it!

That is a really good dvd. It has a very good transfer, good subs, and it's the theatrical cut which is way better imho.

Korngold
10-05-2006, 03:03 AM
That is a really good dvd. It has a very good transfer, good subs, and it's the theatrical cut which is way better imho.

I just got done watching it and OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

I really loved it. It reminded me of Aliens where you get strapped in and for the rest of the movie is the ride of your life. I was just sad to see my girl Go Go not make it.

I'm so glad I bought this movie.