PDA

View Full Version : Dust Devil - The Final Cut (R2 Laser Paradise)

Hellbilly
08-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Ok I watched this yesterday while suffering from an earinfection (still am) thus was high on aspirins (if that's even possible) so bare with me people ...

Richard Stanley's sandy neo-western Dust Devil tells the story of a shape shifter (Robert Burke) who's doomed to wander (hitchhiking actually, in a funky outfit) the earth (Africa) to collect souls. After picking his victims he takes snapshots of them and they usually end up having sex. After killing them he dismembers their bodies (occasionally sets them on fire) and uses their blood to write and draw ritualistic symbols on walls.
Oh yeah, he also collects the victim's fingers and puts them in a box.
So one day he meets (picks) his "match" with Wendy (Chelsea Field), a chick with suicide on her mind and on the run from her abusive husband. They have wild sex and soon the shape shifter reveals his (literally) ugly face - which ends in a showdown taking place in a ghost town.

Can't really recall much of the 87 min U.S. version I've seen on tape about 10 years ago so I'm not sure WHAT was added to this 104 min Director's cut. Anyways, it seemed more bizarre then I remember. Lots of mumbo jumbo voodoo talk and probably a few new nightmare sequences and more (?) hints/talk about apartheid. I think they also focused more on Zakes Mokae's (the detective) character, he seems to have a hell of a lot more onscreen time with scenes about his dead wife etc.
Also, didn't really notice any new added gore footage but they do show photos of the first victim and I think there where a few more (graphic) images of the burned corpse. Then again I'm not 100% sure coz I was most likely trippin' on aspirins ... Great film though with one of the best exploding head effects ever filmed.

http://www.dtm.at/bilder/shop/DVD1412.jpg

Video - Laser Paradise's transfer ain't great though. Presented in (non-anamorphic) 1.85:1 widescreen this print has vhs quality. Some grain, dirt, artifacts and specks here and there. Print doesn't appear to be that sharp and colors are slightly faded but still watchable.

Audio - English Dolby Digital 5.1 / Dolby Surround 2.0
Despite the earinfection the 5.1 track sounded alright I guess but there was not much activity from the rear speakers.
Dialogues aren't always heard clearly throughout though.

Extras - Theatrical Trailer (German Language) and an interesting 17 minutes behind-the-scenes featurette.

Now, where's that uncut widescreen R1 DVD of Hardware?

Jimbo
08-31-2003, 07:37 PM
Sounds good!Nice review.Maybe a second viewing without the meds would do it some more justice :eek1:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
08-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the great review Hellbilly! Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I hope that you get better soon.

Glad to hear that the uncut version is Widescreen, but bummed to hear that it is not anamorphic. I am sure that it will be a improvement over my Laserdisc (cut, pan and scan) version! :D

Hopefully I will be getting around to ordering this sooner, instead of later.

H0MOSareGAY
09-01-2003, 12:50 AM
I don't even care if it is anamorphic, after watching hours of crappy Warner Brothers DVDs, I will take what I can get. Sounds like I might have to rent this movie.

Hellbilly
09-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks Zodi. My ear is much better now btw :eek2:

I wonder if Paramount still holds the video rights to this since Dust Devil is a Miramax production.
I hope it won't end up in distribution limbo like Hellraiser III.
Well, on second thought it probably is :mad: