PDA

View Full Version : The Thing (and other cool scores)

Paff
06-26-2001, 04:10 AM
Damn....it's been a great week for me and Laserdisc!

Last week was Cemetery Man and Seven (Criterion).

Today I got The Thing (1951) and Escape From New York (Special Edition).
Both are fantastic LDs. The Thing has a beautiful transfer, and some fabulous extra stuff. Triple gatefold sleeve, theatrical trailer, a whole boatload of stills and pressbook stuff. But the best feature is the entire short story Who Goes There? It's a little weird reading a book on TV with the step button, but it's great to have. If you see this on E-bay, pick it up.

Escape From New York isn't quite as noteworthy, but it's still a nice addition to the collection. I've heard the Carpenter/Russell commentary will make it to DVD soon, but it's nice to have it now.

God bless those 12" discs...

MISFITZ
06-26-2001, 11:58 PM
Checked out the link you drop on your posts, damn!

That's a pretty nice set.

I have the original STAR WARS TRILOGY BOX set that I picked up cheap when everyone was clearing out the way for DVD. Was going to sell it, but wasn't sure how much I would get cuz it has a lot of STAR WARS autographs on it (Chewy, R2D2, Bobba Fett, etc...) but they are all addressed to "JAY".

But then I noticed something I never really paid attention to. There are several movie trailers on those LD that I have never seen! Some (Empire...) show clips that were not even in the movie!! I'm keeping it after kicking myself in the ass for not really even giving it a chance and almost getting f*#ked! (ie CREEPSHOW) It's just I have sooooo many copies of those films on LD's its stupid!!

Paff
06-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Rule of thumb: Never sell autographed material, whether it's personalized or not. I figure, if the person is going to take the time to appreciate his or her fans (unless they CHARGE for the autograph. Hear me Linda Blair??), then you should appreciate that item forever.

Hell, that policy bit me in the ass last year. I found a super cheap copy of God Told Me To (Elite LD), with the express purpose of reselling it for twice what I paid for it. Before I had a chance to sell it, I found Richard Lynch was going to be at the Fangoria convention, and he dropped a gorgeous signature on it (took his time, wrote very clearly, placed it where it was most visible, etc). Now there's no way I'll sell that disc. I may never watch it again, but I'm holding onto it forever.

Besides, you can't have enough copies of Star Wars on LD. Especially if they're the original versions, 'cause those will NEVER make it to DVD. Never say never? I'm saying never.

MISFITZ
06-27-2001, 12:33 AM
Nah, I hear you about the autographed stuff.

But I have the SPECIAL EDITION box set with all the same people's signatures and lots more, including David Prowse who wrote this cheesy line:

Jay - THE FORCE IS STRONG IN YOU! David Prowse - Darth Vader

OH GAWD!!! :rolleyes: I mean, it would of been better had he wrote:
The FORCE IS STRONG WITH YOU!! :p

But it's cool!! Jeremy Bullock (bobba Fett) wrote:
Jay - Stay cool man!

Yeah, I met the guy for all but 5 minutes!! :D

I'm just giving them a hard time. I do appreciate them being cool like that, but that original box set NEVER gets any action and is not even the piece I show off or even bring out. ;)

But those movie trailers are pretty tyte!! So....

MISFITZ
06-27-2001, 12:35 AM
BTW....

Still want Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, and Mark Hamill's John hancock!!!! :D

(if they're reading this... ;) )