PDA

View Full Version : Hammer House of Horror on DVD!!

jae
06-26-2001, 05:16 AM
Over at DVD Drive-In they posted the info that the complete 13 episodes of HHOH will be coming to DVD on August 21st as a 3 DVD box set!

Holy shit will it ever end?!! I just added The Wicker Man to my DVD buying list for August 28th and now HOHH on the 21st! That makes like 15 DVDs on that same day. I'm going to need a whole week off. :)

Plus the news that William Castle's 13 Ghosts is hitting DVD on September 11th.. I'm stunned with all the great new stuff being released. :eek:

Yowie
06-26-2001, 11:53 AM
Great news about "H.H.O.H" on DVD. Is that region 1, by the way ?. It also came out on PAL tape recently. It was a good show, with "Carpathian Eagle" being my favorite episode. (Because of Suzanne Danielle.) The episodes with Peter Cushing and Jon Finch were good, too. Personally, I'm more into the brilliant British '70s ITC supernatural suspense series "Thriller" which was created by writer Brian Clemens, and also fondly remembered in America. (-Not to be confused with the '60s b/w show "Thriller" hosted by Boris Karloff.) "A&E" owns it in America, and all interested users/fans should get in touch with them to get "Thriller" released on DVD/video. For Europe contact "Carlton".

jae
06-26-2001, 03:02 PM
I'm sure its region 1. A&E are the ones releasing it.

Fart Lighter
06-27-2001, 08:03 PM
that does it. I've got to rob a bank. no way i can miss all this lot.

Funktion
06-27-2001, 08:16 PM
This is terrible news!
I'm BROKE (really broke); where the hell will I find money to get all these great releases?

When I thought there wasn't any more "surprises", here's another one...

Anyone knows how much will this set cost?

DVD Connoisseur
06-30-2001, 08:14 PM
I don't know how much it'll cost but this is great news. (Quite a pleasant surprise after the recent HHOH thread!) There's some cracking good tales in that set, I can hardly wait....

carl.kolchak
07-02-2001, 04:57 AM
I sure missed a lot of news in the last few weeks, I can't wait to see these!!! For those who have seen the HHOH episodes how would you say that they compare to the films in terms of atmosphere, blood & cleavage? Since they were made for British TV did they have to tone it down quite a bit?

I bet A&E will do an excellent job with the transfers, I picked up a couple of the A&E Avengers dvds for fun, got hooked, and now own 12 of them. :)

Yowie
07-02-2001, 07:08 AM
I'd say they're pretty close in tone. Like a Hammer thriller cramped into 50 minutes. I think they've succeeded quite nicely in catching that atmosphere, although all of the episodes take place in the present, if I remember correctly. It's also shot on film, and not video. (-Although I don't mind the video-taped look many TV productions had back then.) Like "Tales Of The Unexpected", some of the episodes are rather disappointing, though; they start off pretty good and end, well, disappoitingly. My favorite episodes are the ones with Peter Cushing and Jon Finch, and "Carpathian Eagle" with a young Pierce Brosnan. Not the best British "twist-in-the-tale" series ever made, that honor still belongs to that other suspenser from ITC, "Thriller".

Captain Howdy
07-03-2001, 08:58 AM
This is great news. I recently bought all 13 episodes on VHS in the UK and can safely say that, while some are better than others, they are all excellent. It will be great to have them on DVD though so I can enjoy them while I'm travelling as well.

anamorphiac
08-02-2001, 02:28 AM
Just a heads up for anyone with a Columbia House account...
The Complete Hammer House Of Horror box set is now listed on the Columbia House website (selection #2630002) for $69.95.
This may seem expensive, but if you can use it to fulfill your membership obligations... it might be a pretty good deal.

anamorphiac
08-04-2001, 08:39 AM
www.deepdiscountdvd.com now has this up for preorder for $33.58 shipped!

mutleyhyde
08-04-2001, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the heads up there Andrew; I was beginning to wonder if DDD wasn't gonna fall in line. Thanks to Rhett for helping out with this too! People, DDD has only done right by me so far, we really should support them. I haven't tried this new kid, Best Prices, but I'm stickin' with DDD for now. :D

Andrew
08-04-2001, 08:55 PM
OK? I guess, unless there's another Andrew. Or there's a different post.

Anyway, I'm pissed off at DDD! I ordered Dr. Phibes on the 25th, they say it'll be here on the 9th! Now I know why the shipping is free! Bastards :mad:.

carl.kolchak
08-04-2001, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info, $8.40 a disc is a great price! Does DDD raise their price once a title is released and no longer a preorder?

mutleyhyde
08-04-2001, 09:22 PM
To my knowledge, they have not done so so far Carl. None of the A&E t.v. sets have gone up anyway, and I haven't noticed anything else jump up after the release date. And yeah, that "thanks" I posted before was for Anamorphiac and not you Andrew. I'm a bonehead. Welcome to the site Anamorphiac, and good eye!

Reverenddave
08-05-2001, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by carl.kolchak
Thanks for the info, $8.40 a disc is a great price! Does DDD raise their price once a title is released and no longer a preorder?

When it comes to DDD, I would recommend ordering as soon as possible. They have often changed the price of items prior to release. A few months ago, they offered the X-Files Season 3 box set at a great price. Then two days later they raised their price by $5-$10. This has happened a couple of times at DDD.

However, once an item has been released, they don't raise the price. Whatever the final price for this item is at the time of release, it will probably be the best price available online.

Also, don't wait too long after it has been released. They seem to have a limited stock. They no longer have many Avengers, Cadfael, Poirot, etc discs available.

carl.kolchak
08-05-2001, 06:09 PM
Thanks mutley and Reverenddave. :cool: I guess it would be smart to jump on this now, I'd hate to wait and see it go up.

anamorphiac
08-05-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
Welcome to the site Anamorphiac
Thanks! I was really happy to find a whole forum dedicated to Hammer!

Originally posted by mutleyhyde

and good eye!

This isn't another Cyclops joke is it???
I've been hearing those all of my life!!!
Look, I can't help it if I was born with one big eye in the middle of my forehead!!!

:) :D :)